Worried

Options
I'm not sure where to post this so I picked general. Since being a part of mfp, I have been trying to go by the calories that it tells me to, but by dinner time I don't have many calories left and I feel sick. My stomach starts to feel like it is caving in on itself. Is it possible that mfp is putting my calorie intake to low for me? I want to follow what it tells me but I can't go every day feeling so sick. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    OK, firstly your body is going to take some time to adjust to the new regime, so it's Ok to cut down gradually rather than go straight to 1200 cals a day.

Can you give us more details such as height and starting weight, and what you would normally eat each day?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Hi. If you don't mind I would like to view your diary. You shouldn't be hungry. Thats not what MFP is about. You should be able to eat 6 meals a day unless you are eating very high calorie foods that will eat up your calories. Do you exercise? Logging your exercise gives you additional calories for the day.

I am sending you a friend request.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Make sure that your calories are coming from high quality foods, lots of fresh veggies, fruits, and whole grains, as well as extra lean protein. Try to fill out your diary in the morning or at least before you eat a meal so you can see how things add up beforehand.
  • tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options
    Well as far as my weight, I started last year at 220. When I joined mfp I was 170 and today I'm 169. I'm 5' 6" tall. Normally I only eat breakfast (whatever I find), lunch (salad or sandwich), and dinner I didn't always eat. Yesterday I tried snacking every 2 hours on veggies and I ate breakfast (waffles 180 cal for 2), lunch I ate a turkey burger, and dinner I ended up with a footlong sub from subway just so I could get the sick feeling to go away. (was light headed too)
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    the above posts are true. Also are you drinking water and getting lots of fiber. both help you have a full feeling. If i eat really healthy foods and fresh fruits and veggies I struggle to even get up to 1200 calories. it took awhile to find that balance but now i almost struggle to the other way
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have days where I find myself very hungry by the end of the day, but I have other days when I feel like I eat all day and am still under.

It depends how big you are t start with, but losing weight does involve eating less than you normally do, so some hunger is normal, until your body gets used to the amount of food you should be eating.
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    According to some research people on diets that drank two glasses of water befor each meal lost 1/3rd more weight then people did not drink water befor meals. I expect your problem might have to do with carbs, you might try a low carb diet. Some peoples that eat carbs are hungary a lot sooner, maybe two hours after they eat and 4 or 5 hours later they are very hungary again. Another suggestion is to eat between each mean and again about half time after supper and bedtime. Three meals a day is not really what our body was adapted to do after millions of years eating when ever we could find food.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I know when I cut way back on fats I get a sick, light headed feeling so make sure you aren't cutting back too much. You still need some fats and a good combination of other nutrients to feel well and be productive.
  • b_alanna
    b_alanna Posts: 15
    Options
    drink chocolate milk before dinner if that is where you struggle. It will fill you up and sometimes you wont even want to eat dinner. Also you can drink a cup of water before you eat but chocolate milk will do more for you with the sugar. and try to eat peanut butter for dinner if you have to eat. It is a really big filler.
  • tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options
    drink chocolate milk before dinner if that is where you struggle. It will fill you up and sometimes you wont even want to eat dinner. Also you can drink a cup of water before you eat but chocolate milk will do more for you with the sugar. and try to eat peanut butter for dinner if you have to eat. It is a really big filler.

I will have to try this. I love chocolate milk! lol
  • anthonyford
    Options
    Hi worried, I'm a 290 lb guy and this program allows me a total of 1937 calories a day. When I was in the hospital having one of my 8 surgeries they put me on an 1800 calorie diabetic diet and it was lots of food. So if you give MFP proper info to start they seem to be pretty accurate to what my nutritional needs are calorie wise anyway. Get to researching; as I am, and find out what kind of foods you need at every meal. The foods translate into proteins, carbs, dairy, fruits & vegies. A very informative video was (may still be) on this program's site and it let me know that whether your diabetic or not weight loss won't happen unless your blood sugars are in the proper target range. So all I can suggest is get informed.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    Make sure that your calories are coming from high quality foods, lots of fresh veggies, fruits, and whole grains, as well as extra lean protein. Try to fill out your diary in the morning or at least before you eat a meal so you can see how things add up beforehand.

GREAT advice!

I only want to add - what did you set your activity level at? If you set it at sedentary, maybe you need to bump it up to lightly active. It will give you a few more calories, which your body is obviously asking for. I am a little bit hungry sometimes, but never as hungry as you describe.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You may be the one putting your calorie intake too low. How much do you weigh and what have you put for your weight loss goal on MFP?

Also, you may be eating a lot of simple carbs and sugary foods. If you eat whole foods rich in fiber and lean proteins, you'll feel more full throughout the day.