Any other really unfit people out there?

blackdragonclare
blackdragonclare Posts: 91
edited September 25 in Motivation and Support
after trying to skip with my 6year old daughters skipping rope and nearly collapsing after 10mins (how does she do it lol). I was wondering if there are any other seriously unfit people on here or am I the only one? if there are any of you around would you like to join me in making a change? we can encourage each other and give each other ideas. hope I'm not the only one.

Replies

• mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    me :) I can only jog for a minute or so at a time LOL
  • me :) I can only jog for a minute or so at a time LOL

glad I'm not the only one.
  • griffswoman
    griffswoman Posts: 30 Member
    me too :( have very little exercise that i can do as i have achilles tendonitis
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Absolutely, there are people like me who are way more unfit than you. I couldn't jump rope for 2 minutes never mind 10 minutes. I have just started walking at 4.0 for 30 minutes..and eventually I am going to try and walk longer and or try to jog a little each day. The key I guess is to just start somewhere, if I don't try I will never know if I can do it. It is intimidating though!

Good luck and feel free to add me! Have a great day!

Jeannie
  • tracey2710
    tracey2710 Posts: 197 Member
    10 minutes - you done well - last time I skipped I nearly passed out after 2 minutes!!! I'm seriously unfit - try to walk often but that's it.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    I was the same way.

I started walking on my treadmill, then I started the c25k, then the 30 day shred and I am getting there. I feel more fit than I have in a long time. I can go upstairs without getting winded or feeling like my heart is going to beat out of my chest.

Find somehting you love and keep on going.

Best wishes to you.
  • christynickelston
    christynickelston Posts: 1 Member
    You aren't the only only one. I'm having trouble walking through the mall without getting winded. I've got to start taking my problem with food and exercise seriously.
  • Shari_T
    Shari_T Posts: 19
    Oh yes. I pant and get red-faced after about 5 minutes of walking. I can barely walk 3 MPH. Jumping rope is very hard work. You did great to last 10 minutes!

Shari
  • Same here!! It's so hard for me to jog, much less run. I have learned that the more I jog, the longer I can go. But I do want to be able to keep up with my kids, they are 4 and 5, and can run circles around me.

Add me if you want.
  • after trying to skip with my 6year old daughters skipping rope and nearly collapsing after 10mins (how does she do it lol).

She can do it as a lot of children are FIT!!! My two never stop all day - they run everywhere, never sit still, are up and down the stairs, play on scooters, beg to go out on their bikes.... the list goes on. I think it's the unconcious kind of fitness you have before you discover too much crappy telly and white wine! Not that I'm saying that's where it went wrong for you, but I think alcohol (and the associated salty snacks) play a big part in why I am no longer fit and healthy.

On the plus side, I've been a member of MFP since beg Jan this year, and my fitness has come on in leaps and bounds in just three months, so perseverance has paid off. JM no longer makes me feel like I'm going to die during one of her workouts!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    You're not the only one. We all have to begin somewhere. I started getting healthier in October prior to a hysto. I began with Leslie Sansone videos and walked a 15 minute mile. Now I work out for 75-90 minutes most days. It's something thing you have to build up to little by little but it will raise your self-esteem and show you that you're stronger than you think, as well as revving up your metabolism. I'm sending you a friend request and would love to encourage you along the way. OH and most importantly, don't compare your journey to anyone else's. Everyone has their own motivation and you don't know what anyone else's is about. You DO know what YOUR journey is about.
  • I was the same way.

I started walking on my treadmill, then I started the c25k, then the 30 day shred and I am getting there. I feel more fit than I have in a long time. I can go upstairs without getting winded or feeling like my heart is going to beat out of my chest.

Find somehting you love and keep on going.

Best wishes to you.

thank you I've never been very fit even as a kid I used to be useless at sports and be out of breath doing anything spotry
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    me :) I can only jog for a minute or so at a time LOL

glad I'm not the only one.

it's aggravated by a bad knee, so frustrating!!
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    @eatingmysandsho - yup - hope it helps to say that you will see results. I'm the same for time as eatingmysandsho. I use Kinect Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout (& other games) and I started out in late January at 30min session on moderate nearly killing me. I can now do 50 min sessions on challenging - though believe me it is challenging. But just one example they have one exercise called a plank switch - I could not do 2 with out nearly ending up on my face - I now do 1/2 doz or more with reasonable ease.

Slow & easy to start and stick at it - but seriously find something you enjoy and that motivates you.
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Being unfit is what got me to this point in the first place. I have 3 wonderful lil boys, one who is autistic and FULL of energy and life ! Trying to keep up with them was killing me and I wanted to be around and able to play with them without having to sit out.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    I have felt like that too. Last summer I went to the pool with my daughter and my heart was racing. I didn't understand why. I get very winded when climbing the 3 flights of stairs at school, but I am getting used to it.

But I can go for long walks, and I usually do 30 minutes of aerobic activity most days now. You just need to find what exercise you can handle, and keep it up until you are fit enough to try something else.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I used to be! :smile:

When I started doing the Couch to 5K plan, I got seriously winded after one minute of jogging. That was in late December. Now I can run 5 miles!!! I just blogged about the changes yesterday: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/yay-me-87724
  • I used to be! :smile:

When I started doing the Couch to 5K plan, I got seriously winded after one minute of jogging. That was in late December. Now I can run 5 miles!!! I just blogged about the changes yesterday: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/yay-me-87724
    just read your blog well done thats brilliant! theres hope for me yet
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    I am guessing most people jumping rope will get tired after 10 minutes! That's a long time! I have a 2 year old and I watch her go all day, jumping, squatting, running, laying down and getting right back up, over and over. It's amazing what kids can do!! But if you can jump rope for 10 minutes, your doing good, girl!!!
This discussion has been closed.