HAALP! Gaining weight after losing some initially :(

Options
Hello all,

I started my MFP program last weekend. Initially, I lost almost a pound a day- I think most of it was water weight. But since the last two days, I've been gaining 1 lb every day. :( I started at 161 lbs and went down all the way to 155.4. Yesterday, I was 156.2. Today, I am 157.4. I've been under or near my calorie goal of 120 cals + exercise cals. I do eat back as many exercise calories as I can. I've been working out using 30DS by JM everyday for 20 mins. In addition, I probably walk around 0.5-1 mile at work. I drink lots of water- around 8-10 glasses everyday. What am I doing wrong? :( Am I gaining muscle weight? Should I eater lighter dinnners? My dinners are heavier than my lunches.

Replies

• geonote
    geonote Posts: 12
    Options
    Good morning and keep faith! You're doing fine on what you are eating and exercise with the exception of the dinner servings. See if you can get a little more distribution to both the breakfast and the lunch. Lighten up on the dinner portions some, it will help.
    The other thing you are doing, and most new members (self included) often do, is weighing in obsessively. Once a week, maybe Saturday morning before breakfast and after a shower. Make it a weekly habit. Daily weighing is only stressful and misleading.
    Good luck here! I know you'll do well!
    :drinker:
  • kma1988
    kma1988 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't get frustrated, just keep up the good work. i can't say whether or not you're gaining muscle, but to find out measure yourself this week and then measure next week..you might be losing inches instead of weight at the moment :-) Good luck!!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! It could be a lot of things. Weight varies day to day sometimes depending water gain and several other factors. A lot of women gain weight, usually water weight, during their period. It's only been a week so stick with it. Don't be discouraged :flowerforyou: Hopefully, someone with a more detailed answer will respond. Also, there is a personal trainer on here. I think her username is TrainerRobin. Send her a message and ask her. I see her respond to questions on posts.
  • traceyjay1
    Options
    Hello, it doesn't sound as if you are doing anything wrong to me!

Sounds like we joined at roughly the same time and are pretty much the same weight, I weigh myself everyday and mine too can sometimes be down and other days be half a pound more etc - but I don't let this worry me as I try to look at my weight loss over a week (weighing everyday for me helps keep me motivated though) so overall i've 2lb for just over a week which I am happy with. I guess what i'm trying to say in my long winded way is although you might not have had a loss everyday over the week you still have and should always keep that in mind and not get demotivated or be too hard on yourself! Also don't forget that as girls we retain water differently according to time of the month too which is another reason to really assess your weight loss over a week rather than a day.

Sounds like you are doing well, this site is fab for keeping an eye on where all those sneaky calories go! good luck for reaching your goal :-)
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! Yes, I could certainly do with a smaller dinner and a bigger lunch. I never ever used to pack my lunch. This is my 1st week of trying to pack a lunch. I'll try to pack a bigger one. By evening time, I have about 400-500 calories left (after all that exercise). I think I need to plan my meals. I usually don't plan my meals a whole lot.

You guys are so right- I guess this might be around my period time :( I can see all the signs (me cranky, body hurting in a weird way).

I'll try to be a lil obsessive about weighing myself all the time...lol. It's so difficult when you're all new to the weight loss thingie. :) I go weight myself after drinking a glass of water too, just for the kicks ;)

Do you guys think I should stop exercising for a while? Or is it OK to exercise right from the beginning?
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to just stick with what you're doing. You haven't been doing one thing long enough to really see if it's what you need, so switching it up now would be counterproductive, since your body is still adjusting to so many big changes! I know it's tough, but you really should step back from weighing so much, especially if you think TOM is on the way. Good luck!
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    Fayve, Sounds good to me. I agree in that I haven't been doing this for long to really know what's working for me. Sunday is my "official" weigh in day. Let's see how much I lost in 1 week. :-)
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Take pictures, measure yourself to keep track, dont just count on the scale to show you weight loss ;)