Are you kidding me?!

Options
I have been on MFP for over 2 weeks now, been very diligent about eating as close to my 1200 cals a day as I can, always eating back my exercsie cals, drinking water, eating breakfast, I have no health issues, no thyroid issues....and yet I have not lost one stinking ounce!! This is so frustrating. I know some will say 'its muscle' - but how much muscle can one person really build in 2 weeks? I am about 18 pounds heavier than I need to be for a healthy BMI, I am not overweight by any means, but I cant figure out why after trying the 'right' way I havent lost anything...when I see some people on here losing lbs each week. I have only weighed myself 1x a week so I am not obsessing about weighing in every day. Help! thoughts? :grumble:

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Check out the blog I wrote yesterday about this issue. given that you are not too far from a healthy weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    Losing the weight has been a struggle for me too.. I see everyone's weight falling off... mine is clinging to me.
    So I started eating a bit more... a 100 calories, or just have a treat day... the weight still isn't coming off as quickly as I want but I do see the scale move when I eat more.
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When you become active and exercise with both resistance training and cardio body WEIGHT becomes a much poorer guage of overall fitness. Unfortunately this includes Body Mass Index (BMI), which is only designed to account for weight and height. Circumference Measurements and estimated percent body fat are much more useful tools :o)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isn't a very long time and if you weighed in only once per week the scale could be playing tricks on you due to your hydration levels.
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything for close to 3 weeks, I even gained 2 lbs. the first few days. Sometimes the body goes into shock and the change of plans and takes a while to adjust. Another thing is that you only have 18 lbs. to lose and several of the more seasoned MFP'ers would say trying to lose 2 lbs. a week with so little to lose is part of the issue. If you haven't already done it, make your food diary public so people can take a look and see if there is something you are missing. Also mention what kind of exercise and how often you are exercising.

Don't give up it's a process and sometimes a slow one!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's only been two weeks. Give your body time to adapt. You're right, it is not muscle in only two weeks but your body probably is holding on to excess water. Give it time and it will work!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    you could also be eating too little.. eat back your exercise cals too. With such little weight to lose, it comes off slower and should be done more slowly.
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    I have been training for a half marathon, running about 70-80 mins 3-4 x a week, I have done circuit training 2-3x week of push ups, squats etc..and I typically do a brisk walk during my breaks at work for about 30-40 mins a day too...I dont know why I am so focused on the weight, I know alot of factors go into it... but its frustrating to me. Thanks!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your calories aren't set too low? 1200 seems very little if you have 18 lbs to lose to get to a healthy BMI. I eat more than that, and my BMI is 24.

Maybe your target weight loss should be adjusted, you might have it at "lose 2 lbs a week", but I'd go for a lower target, 1 or even 1/2 lbs a week. I know it sounds mad to eat more to lose more but there's various threads on this subject and it actually does work.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for over 2 weeks now, been very diligent about eating as close to my 1200 cals a day as I can, always eating back my exercsie cals, drinking water, eating breakfast, I have no health issues, no thyroid issues....and yet I have not lost one stinking ounce!! This is so frustrating. I know some will say 'its muscle' - but how much muscle can one person really build in 2 weeks? I am about 18 pounds heavier than I need to be for a healthy BMI, I am not overweight by any means, but I cant figure out why after trying the 'right' way I havent lost anything...when I see some people on here losing lbs each week. I have only weighed myself 1x a week so I am not obsessing about weighing in every day. Help! thoughts? :grumble:

Give it a little more time. Your body is still adjusting to the new routine. dieting and exercise are stress on the body and in the beginning the body tries to protect itself from that stress. Once it adjusts the weight will start coming off. Make sure your NET calories are above 1200. (Eat at least your BMR - this is the number you get using the MFP calculator under Tools - this is what your body needs to live and breathe - mine is 1188). Probably no muscle gain yet. Unless you are strength/resistance training you will lose some muscle mass along with fat when the weight drops (make sure you preserve that muscle - that's what makes our metabolism).

Eat healthy foods - get plenty of protein. Keep sodium numbers down and make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Weight loss is 80% diet and what you eat can make a difference.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/128737-temporary-weight-gain-explained?hl=weight+gain+after+weight+lifting#posts-1747282

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5579501_do-retain-water-after-exercise_.html

Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Are you sure your calories aren't set too low? 1200 seems very little if you have 18 lbs to lose to get to a healthy BMI. I eat more than that, and my BMI is 24.

Maybe your target weight loss should be adjusted, you might have it at "lose 2 lbs a week", but I'd go for a lower target, 1 or even 1/2 lbs a week. I know it sounds mad to eat more to lose more but there's various threads on this subject and it actually does work.

yes check your goals. I had 10 pounds to lose (in the upper range of healthy). The only choice I had was .5 per week (too few calories can affect weight loss especially if your exercising). I saw loss in .2-.4lb increments (and lost 2 pounds after upping my calories to maintenance).
  • pookied95
    Options
    Do you keep track of your sodium intake? My doctor recommends no more than 2300mg a day. Too much salt can sabotage weight loss.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    I have been training for a half marathon, running about 70-80 mins 3-4 x a week, I have done circuit training 2-3x week of push ups, squats etc..and I typically do a brisk walk during my breaks at work for about 30-40 mins a day too...I dont know why I am so focused on the weight, I know alot of factors go into it... but its frustrating to me. Thanks!

you could be exercising too much.

The law of unintended consequences

Your body is an amazing feedback system aimed at balance and survival. Humans are at the top of the food chain because they are able to adapt to their environment. Every action produces a reaction. Every change in its environment triggers a survival response. It's important to keep that in mind when you plan your fitness program. If you treat your body as an enemy to be conquered, you'll produce unintended results.

For example, if you severely cut off the supply of food to your body, it will defend itself by slowing down its metabolism to survive starvation. The body will shed muscle mass the same way that you would throw cargo from a plane that was low on fuel, and it will reduce its thyroid activity to conserve energy. The body will also actually defend its fat stores. In anorexia, muscle loss can be so profound that fat as a percentage of body weight actually rises. Extreme carbohydrate restriction also causes muscle loss, dehydration, and slower metabolism, which is why even successful Atkins dieters can have a significant rebound in weight after they stop the diet (don't worry – the advice on this site will prevent that from happening).

As another example, if you put your body under stress through overexertion and lack of sleep, it will respond by slowing down, reducing muscle growth, and increasing your appetite for junk food, carbohydrates and fat. If you feed your body excessive amounts of sugar and quickly digested carbohydrates, and it will shut off its ability to burn fat until those sugars are taken out of the bloodstream.

This website will show you how to work with your body to quickly produce the changes you want. In order to do that, you need to take actions that push your body to adapt – to build strength, burn fat, and increase fitness. You need a training program, not an exercise routine. You need a nutrition plan, not a diet. You need a challenge, not a few good habits you usually try to follow except when you don't.
    Setting the right goal

John Dewey once said that a problem well-stated is half-solved. If you want to reach your goal, you have to define it correctly. See, a lot of people say “I want to lose weight.” Well, if losing weight is your goal, go on a no-carb diet. You'll lose a lot of weight – some of it will be fat, a lot of it will be water, and a dangerous amount will be muscle tissue. You'll lose weight quickly, but you'll slow your metabolism and gain fat more quickly once you go off the diet. Trust me on this. I've been there, done that.

The problem is that you've set the wrong goal. If you want to look better, have more energy and enjoy better health, the goal is not simply to “lose weight.” The goal is to improve your fitness level and body composition. That means losing fat, improving your aerobic capacity, training your strength and defending your muscle tissue. You can't do that with a no-carb diet. You will do it using the approach you'll learn on this website. Trust me on this one too. I know what it's like to feel fat, tired and helplessly out of shape. The whole point of this site is to help others avoid that, by sharing lessons that I had to learn the hard way.

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html (ignore that it is focusing towards no-carbers and low-carbers. )

Too much cardio can also keep you from losing even with strength training. You end up losing too much muscle mass and your metabolism slows. (Overexertion). With that much exercise I would be eating way over 1200 and eating back exercise calories (but that is just me.)
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options

If you're exercising that much, you may need more than 1200 calories a day. My goal is set to 1200 calories (I have my weight loss set to 1 lb a week), but when I exercise, and especially when I jog three times a week, it goes up to about 1400-1500. Ever since I started eating back most of my exercise calories and increased my protein intake after working out, I've started noticing a difference in the scale. So maybe you should evaluate your protein intake as well!
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thank you - I am checking out this site right now. :bigsmile: