Mac & Cheese servings

Options
So I have my aunts recipie for Mac & cheese that I have made a few tweeks to (to make a little healthier). I want to use the recipie tool to figure out the stats, but the problem I have is that recipie doesn't say how many "servings" it is.

So my question is if you have a recipie that calls for 8oz of pasta (dry) about how many servings can I expect to get out of the finished product?

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    2oz of pasts is usually a serving, but thats just pasta. Usually comes out about 1 cup cooked. might want to make that smaller based on what you add.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Maria, that is up to you. I think the safest bet is to put all the ingredients in the recipe tool and then look at the finished product and decide about servings... If it's a baked M&C and it will be in a pan, make mental divides of how many "squares" you want to get out of it. If it's not in a dish, then the only way I've ever been able to do this is to take a standard measure like a 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup and set out a number of smaller containers and portion that baby out into them.

I think 2 oz of pasta is usually a serving, but most people eat more than that, so it's up to you if you want to log multiple servings or one larger one, or how much of it you want to eat at once, etc. etc.

HTH.
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Anything pasta that I've ever had is a 1 cup serving, no matter what is added to it. Caloric value is just adjusted as needed to account for any sauces or extra stuff added.
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    When I make something like pasta or casserole, I usually make sections into 4 or 6 portions. Then I enter all the ingredients I used in My Recipe, and put down either 4 or 6 as servings and it'll tell me how many calories in that portion.

I'm a numbers person, I am even more anal about soups and it's harder to put soups into sections so what I do is count how many ladle fulls that soup comes to then enter that as "serving" in My REcipe so I'd know how many calories are in each ladle. Sometimes with the calorie budget I have left, I can have 2 to 4 ladles of soup!
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree. You have to server yourself portions somehow, so I would choose a servings method that makes this easier. So, like bethrs said, put the the ingredients for the whole into the recipe tool, then I would just eyeball the dish or pot and divide it mentally into sections of about the size you want to eat (fourths, sixths, whatever makes sense), then have that as you number of portions. Personally, I would just eyeball scooping out those portions, but if you wanted to be more precise, you could weigh the entire finished product (without the container weight) then divide by your eyeballed number of servings. You then would server 1/4th or 1/6th of the total weight to be your serving.
  • Jazzy_Maria
    Jazzy_Maria Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback! that makes total sense!