ground turkey recipes wanted

Options
xxtc79xx
xxtc79xx Posts: 15
I was going to make something so I took the ground turkey out. But besides chili or burgers what else should I make? Please send recipes lol. Id even go for turkey burgers if it sounded diff. Then the nirm. Thanks

Replies

• Lori07
    Lori07 Posts: 136
    Options
    I would like some too. I just bought some ground turkey for the first time.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Use ground turkey in anything you'd use ground beef for, it's a substitution usually used to lower your fat intake so.... substitute freely
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i sub it in most recipes that call for beef. most of the time i will up the spices a little but it works in everything just cook slightly longer.
    the current obsession in my house is using ground turkey over a salad for me and nachos for da hubby. just add taco seasoning and if you know how use spices not pre mixed and save on all the sodium. if you pm me i'll try to send out a few recipes in a few days when i have more time. also try my favorite website:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I make cabbage rolls with ground turkey, diced tomatoes, chopped zuccini, and onion and seasonings of course (salt, pepper, garlic, worchestershire sauce) with a v8 broth with the same seasonings.

Ground turkey can be used for anything you use ground beef for, but it is drier. So if you're making burgers or meatloaf or something, you need to add either fat or extra veggies to keep the moisture up.

Ground turkey in spaghetti or sloppy joes is always great for a last minute meal.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I like to make Mini Turkey Meatloafs. Get some ground turkey season to flavor. Break the meat up into 4oz sections (get a food scale they are wonderful) place each 4 oz ball of meat into a muffin pan and bake at around 375 until done. I sometimes pour some turkey gravy over them. Each muffin turkey meatloaf is around 110 calories depending on the turkey that you get. My 10 yr old son LOVES them and asks for them all the time.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Besides using it in place of ground beef, I like to pan fry it in a bit of olive oil with some salt-free Mrs Dash seasoning and sometimes add some cayenne pepper. Then I serve with veggies. Check the lunch in my food diary today for an example :)
  • dkinman
    dkinman Posts: 10
    Options
    Ground turkey tastes great with any seasoning or low-calorie sauce:

Low cal pizza-
    Carb friendly wraps or 100 cal sandwich rounds
    Ground turkey (cooked in skillet)
    1-2 tbsp of pizza sauce (limit this one)
    1/4 serving of shredded cheese or parmesan cheese

bake on 350 for 10-12 minutes

Wraps-
    Veggies of choice
    Hot sauce
    Ground turkey

Salad-
    Ground turkey
    lettuce mix
    fat free dressing

Once I got used to the taste and color I made a complete transition to turkey.
  • wyldfire416
    Options
    One of the websites I LOVE to get healthy recipes from has a recipe for mozzarella stuffed turkey burgers that are really good.

It's a site called: EatingWell.com

I've posted the link below, but if it doesn't work, just go to the site and look up stuffed turkey burgers, it's almost always first on the list. Hope you found some great ways to incorporate ground turkey into your meals. :o)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mozzarella_stuffed_turkey_burgers.html :happy:
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Greek Turkey Meatballs

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 4 meatballs • Calories: 254.7 • Fat: 11.2 g • Protein: 26.8 g • Carb: 13.4 g • Fiber: 3.7 g

1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
    1 cup zucchini, grated and liquid squeezed out
    2 sliced whole wheat bread
    1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
    1 large egg
    2-3 cloves garlic, grated
    1/4 red onion, grated
    2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped (less if using dry)
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    2 tbsp chopped fresh spearmint, chopped
    kosher salt and fresh pepper
    about 1 tsp worth of olive oil cooking spray
    Wet bread with water, squeezing excess out. Tear into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Combine with turkey, egg, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, mint, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.

Using a 1/4 cup measure, form each meatball 1/4 cup in size. For best results, refrigerate before cooking to help hold their shape. Spray olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan and cook over low heat or on the grill. Makes about 17 meatballs.

got this from www.skinnytaste.com.. i've tried a few recipes from there that were great and plan to make this soon. :)
  • xxtc79xx
    xxtc79xx Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks gang.
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I make turkey chili all the time. Sauté one onion, minced garlic, one onion, and one green pepper in a little OO. Add pnd of turkey and brown. Add a large can of fat free broth, 1 can each of chili and black beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes, season to taste with chile power, chipotle, sea salt, pepper, hot sauce, oregano, and basil. I play with the beans and tomatoes, mix up different types. Good stuff and low cal, enjoy! :o)
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Ground turkey is so versatile. I love it.

I was a vegetarian for a year, and now that I'm back to eating meat, I've cut out red meat and pork entirely. So ground turkey replaces a lot of the stuff I once ate.

This recipe is my favorite, though. It is DELICIOUS. It's Southwestern Ground Beef or Turkey, and you can put it in tacos or on a salad or do whatever you want with it, but I eat it in tacos. Yum.

The recipe is here: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/southwestern-flavored-ground-beef-or-turkey-for-tacos--salad/Detail.aspx
  • irishbelle345
    Options
    i dont eat red meat or pork so its chicken and turkey for me. basically anything you make with ground beef you can make with ground turkey. Some of my favorites are turkey meat balls, turkey meat loaf.... ( growing up when i was forced to eat beef meat loaf was my absolute worst meal ever i would cry when i found out we were having meatloaf. ) but with my turkey meatloaf i crave it. i use the incredibly cheesy turkey meat loaf on allrecipes.com. but i do not add the cheese instead i grate up a carrot and zucuchini. so yummy my meat eating boyfriend likes this meatloaf better than it made with beef. :)
  • munchkinettes
    munchkinettes Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    BARLEY VEGETABLE SOUP

1 lb. ground turkey
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, pressed
    7 cups water
    1 can stewed tomatoes (or more)
    1/2 cup medium sized barley
    2 beef bouillon cubes
    1 bay leaf
    1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables

Brown turkey, add onion and garlic. Cook until tender. Stir in all remaining ingredients except bag of vegetables. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add frozen veggies and cook at least 15 more minutes. Soup will be thick like a stew, or you can add additional water. It's very filling... I usually make a pot and eat it for a week. Enjoy!
  • jsavy
    jsavy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Type in Turkey Receipes....... there are many on the internet
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I like to make Mini Turkey Meatloafs. Get some ground turkey season to flavor. Break the meat up into 4oz sections (get a food scale they are wonderful) place each 4 oz ball of meat into a muffin pan and bake at around 375 until done. I sometimes pour some turkey gravy over them. Each muffin turkey meatloaf is around 110 calories depending on the turkey that you get. My 10 yr old son LOVES them and asks for them all the time.

about how long to cook? Sounds yummy.

I've started to make the turkey switch too. We all LOVE our turkey meatballs. I like to make a low cal egg casserole that calls for sausage and I tried it with the turkey sausage last time, now it's even LESS cals and no one noticed the switch! Its eggs, a little bit of bisquick, some frozen shredded hashbrowns, cheese if you want it, then onions, green peppers and anything else that sounds good.
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options
    Saw this on America's Worst Cooks a month or so ago, and adapted it to ground turkey, and tossed out some of the extra fat. These are great as an appetizer, or served with a salad.

Blue Cheese Turkey Meatballs (lite)
    adapted from recipe by Robert Irvine, on Americas Worst Cooks
    Makes 6 servings of 4 meatballs each (or vice versa for small meal)

1.5 lbs ground turkey
    1/4 cup egg substitute
    1/2 TBSP celery salt
    1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
    Sauce:
    1 cup tomato juice
    1/2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
    1 TBSP hot sauce
    pinch celery salt

Preheat the oven to 350.
    In a bowl, combine the ground meat, egg, and celery salt. Add breadcrumbs and blue cheese and mix to combine. Spray a mini-muffin pan (24 spots) lightly with cooking spray. Divide the meat mixture into 24 balls and put one in each cup of the pan. (Or just space them out on a flat baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes.

For the sauce: combine tomato juice, vinegar, hot sauce and celery salt in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. ( Can whisk in up to 2 TBSP of oil to thicken, but adds 40 calories per serving. )

To serve: Place the cooked meatballs in a bowl, add some of the sauce, and toss to coat. Serve remaining sauce as a dip.

Approximate nutrition for 4 meatballs: 240 calories, 11g fat, 8g carb, 23g protein
  • draya114
    draya114 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Saw this on TV the other day so I looked it up. You wouldn't have to use pita bread or use the cucumber spread if you don't like either of those

Persian Turkey Burgers
    1 1/4 pounds coarsely ground turkey breast meat (or thigh meat if you can spare the calories)
    2 tbsp canola oil
    1 tsp kosher salt¬¬
    11/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
    2 tsp fresh mint, chopped or 1/2 tsp dried
    2 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped or 1/2 tsp dried
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp lime zest
    1 tsp lime juice

3 each pocketless pita, punched out with 3" cookie cutter
    Za'tar ( 2 tablespoons dried thyme, 1 tablespoon sumac, 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds, 1/2 teaspoon table salt)
    canola oil

1 recipe cucumber yogurt sauce
    Garnish: diced tomato and diced cucumber

1. Prepare turkey mixture: combine all ingredients and gently toss with a fork. Test for seasoning by cooking a small portion. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
    2. Shape patties into 3 1/2" rounds. Sear in skillet until done, about 2 minutes on each side. Alternatively, the patties may be baked in the oven.
    3. Prepare pita: brush rounds with canola oil and sprinkle with za'tar seasoning. Grill or toast rounds just until warm.
    4. Serve burgers on pita with cucumber yogurt sauce. Garnish with chopped cucumbers and diced tomatoes.

Cucumber Yogurt Sauce

1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
    1/2 cup yogurt
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon lime zest
    Salt and pepper to taste

1. Set aside 1/4 cup of cucumber for garnish.
    2. Combine all ingredients at least 1 hour before serving.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Turkey has a distinct...ummmm.. flavor. But since marrying 10 yrs ago to a man who couldn't eat beef, I ahve cooked with only ground turkey. It is best when there are STRONG flavors with it ie tacos or enchiladas, in spaghetti sauce, or in taco style casseroles. We also use it in sloppy joes and in pot pie recipes too.
  • wagner78
    wagner78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump