Hello and HELP!

Options
HI! I am just starting out on this journey (or should I say continuing on a journey) of weight loss, exercise and a healthier lifestyle. I need all the help and motivation I can get! I know I need to exercise and really enjoy it, but getting started is the most difficult for me. Generally speaking, I eat fairly healthy with whole grains, fresh veggies, some fruit and lean proteins, but let's face it, I eat way too much and exercise way too little! I've set my goals and need help getting to there. Any help/advice would be really appreciated as I have over 100 pounds to lose!:heart:

Replies

• hurley41010
    Options
    You've come to the right area for support!!! You can do this!! I started this site on Monday and with tracking my exercise and food intake I have lost 3 pounds in a week :smile: The support people give you on here is amazing!! Ill add ya to my list.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. You can add me as a friend if you like.

The hardest thing about exercising is getting into a routine. I started at the first of the year with a goal to exercise everyday for 6 weeks. They say it takes 30 days to make or break a habit. I'm a bit stubborn so I gave it 6 weeks. Now I love exercising and dont' feel right on days I skip it.

You could set yourself a goal like that to create a habit.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,
    Been at this for a few weeks....first on my own, where I lost 2 lbs and then gained it back. Then, I found MFP and have now lost 6 lbs. Logging in, sharing with new friends and getting amazing support from people I will probably never meet has made all the difference. I'll send you a friend request. Accept if you want, ignore if you don't. No problems.
    Good Luck!
  • Crossfit_Mom_2_4
    Crossfit_Mom_2_4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    HI! I am just starting out on this journey (or should I say continuing on a journey) of weight loss, exercise and a healthier lifestyle. I need all the help and motivation I can get! I know I need to exercise and really enjoy it, but getting started is the most difficult for me. Generally speaking, I eat fairly healthy with whole grains, fresh veggies, some fruit and lean proteins, but let's face it, I eat way too much and exercise way too little! I've set my goals and need help getting to there. Any help/advice would be really appreciated as I have over 100 pounds to lose!:heart:

I can relate on so many levels. My journey has been ongoing, and well needless to say I had lost 108lbs only to gain it back plus some. What didn't click for me was the inside work that needed to be dealt with.

You have a base knowledge that calories in vs. calories out will play a key role in decreasing the unwanted body fat storage. You also indicated you know what that its time to get moving and get your exercise on. This are two key points many people starting out just have a hard time comprehending.

Here's what I suggest:
    Create a PLAN
    A plan is going to consist of what your GOALS - long term and short term.

I like to keep my short term goals at 12 weeks. I use affirmation statements to truly grasp the depth of the my goals. For example: I WILL reduce my body fat percentage by 2% in twelve weeks or I WILL reduce my pant size by one whole size within twelve weeks. These are do-able goals and realistic. Often times I find myself exceeding them! That's awesome!

You may find you have to revise your goals while in your journey, and this is a great thing.

Additionally, PLAN your meals! I eat consistently eat day because I use the meal tracker here to calculate what I'm putting in my body and keeping it clean. I'm seeing what is 'costing' me plateaus and what is working.

TAKE YOUR PICTURES! I know this sounds crazy but understand that a still shot of where you are at now will a marker for you as to your progress. So many here, myself included, often say the scale isn't moving I'm frustrated, etc. If you have a digital record of what you're doing it will visually show you just how your progress is going. I LOVE A DIGITAL DOCUMENTARY!

Lastly, reach out here, make friends, and log in daily - share your thoughts and know that YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS! You've taken the first step in your journey, and you're not alone. I said earlier I lost 108lbs before, and found myself back to square one. In Aug. 2010 I was tipping scales at 284lbs, and today I am at 229lbs. I am moving towards my goals and having like minded individuals to help me along the way has helped.

I have also gotten some great books to help me in my journey:
    "Transformation" by Bill Phillips (This helped with the internal journey I referenced earlier - LIFE CHANGING)
    "Eating for Life" by Bill Phillips (Cookbook with so many yummy recipes)
    "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips (A great guide about weight training and cardio & keeping it limited time w/awesome results)
    "Broken Open" by Elizabeth Lesser (A book about growing internally through difficult times/journeys)

Weight issues are almost always contributions of inner issues we chose to ignore or avoid. For me it has been about child abandonment issues, abuse, and loss. Once I was able to dig in and learn about why I turned to food to comfort myself my life changed dramatically.

YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS - and WE ARE HERE TO CHEER YOU ON!