Office jobs, ugh!

Options
I HATE having an office job! I feel so lazy throughout the day. I grew up on a farm, started serving when I was 16, then worked at a cabinetry factory from 21-23 yrs. of age. So up until 1 1/2 years ago I have always had active jobs. After I got this office job, that is when the weight started piling on. 20 lbs gained in 1 1/2 years. I've already lost 5, only 15 to go, but I feel like if I had a more active job it would be so much easier! Plus, I work with women. Most of them also overweight, only they don't seem to care about it and are always bringing in pizza, McDonalds, brownies, and other sweets. I haven't caved, but it's not exactly easy watching them eat all of that, or being able to smell it. Only 8 more months and I'll be able to quit this job and find something better! Hopefully more active as well!

Replies

• pollyanna_isabella
    Options
    Heya. I also have an office job! However it's in the country side, so i usually find time to go walking or running at lunch time, every eve i go to the gym too. However, if i didn't do those things i would def be the laziest person ever! Plus office jobs suck because there is always cake flying around, and nibbles! I have learnt to disapline myself when it comes to delving in to the buscuit tin! He he. Good luck. Polly X
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I will have an office job when I am home this summer (I am a student...sitting in class isn't much better!) and the office is right by a freeway...nowhere to walk except the bakery! It's so disappointing.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 months to get used to sitting in my chair and I still get up and walk at least 8 times a day. I go to the furthest bathroom and walk all the way to the cafeteria just for water. My new job I'll be able to walk to work so that will start my day off right, and I have to take a 1 hours lunch which will be perfect for a short bit of exercise as well as a healthy lunch.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I have the same issue! They're always have pot lucks, birthdays, retirements, baby showers, any and every excuse to have a cake and junk food, they jump on it. I guess I seem rude when I don't participate, but eh, I don't care what they think!

It is rough. I hate sitting at a desk all day. I don't have any suggestions, because I myself am going NUTS. One year left of this and I'll be back on my feet. Hope you get a new job soon =)
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have thought about walking to work, but I have a night job as well so I wouldn't be able to do that :( There are treadmills here but 9 times out of 10 when I go in on break to use one, they're full. I get up a lot during the day and walk around, I also use the furthest bathroom and walk to the cafeteria for water. And I never use the elevator I always use the stairs. I still just hate sitting all day. I go to the gym after work and usually clean or do something active at home, but it's so hard to get motivated after sitting all day. I think it makes me more tired doing nothing than doing something
  • janaegriffin87
    janaegriffin87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Office birthdays and showers and the free food we get from the board meetings are the worst! I'm right there with ya! But I use my Jillian Michaels ipod app for encouragement, try getting up and doing 10 push ups or sit ups off your desk every hour. You may feel silly doing it but at least you are being healthy and you may influence someone else to do it!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Go outsidefor a brisk walk in your lunchbreaks, that's what I do. Great to get some fresh air into you, you'd be ready for the afternoon all refreshed
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    oh my gosh...totally agree. office job right here too!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It does. I"m a grad student and guess waht I do ALL DAY?

I sit.

at my computer.

at home.

And I'm exausted every single day (I work 12-14 hours a day).

No energy and no time for work-outs lately.

BUT, being in an actual office chair has some perks. There's some great chair exercises you can do to help. And go buy some ankle weights to wear under your slacks. If you're not the shy type, step outside the cube and do 20 jumping jacks every 30 minutes. There's stuff you CAN do... you just have to be a little more creative.

Hell, I should take my own advice. I can't do the chair exercises (I'm on a couch - not the same height or firmness!), but I could sure do some jacks! lol... thanks for posting! Got me thinkin'! :-)
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    Go outsidefor a brisk walk in your lunchbreaks, that's what I do. Great to get some fresh air into you, you'd be ready for the afternoon all refreshed

I am able to start doing that now, however I live in Iowa and no matter how motivated I am there is no way I was going to go out in the winter time when it is below zero and walk around for 30 minutes. Summers also suck because it gets so humid if I did that I would come in dripping sweat. So basically, there's only about 4 months of the year I am able to actually do this without freezing or smelling like BO! :ohwell:
  • Joseyapo
    Joseyapo Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't see what the big deal is... I work in an office, and stay in my chair basically all day... from 7 to 5. I get up, walk 15 feet to the fridge for my lunch, walk 15 feet to the microwave, walk 15 feet back to my desk... that's all I do during work hours. If you do a lot of walking to go to the bathroom etc... that is a big waste of time and your employers money.

There are donuts and other treats in our office 2 or 3 times a week. I don't mind having a serving or 2, or 3... or 4. I like them. I have this awesome myfitnesspal calorie counter on my phone. I make sure to track everything I eat... sweets and all. If I end up being over on the goal for the day, I make sure I work out after work. I have 3 kids and a wife, It isn't hard to find time to work out after the kids have gone to bed at 9.

Ideally you would eat healthy... if you just ate healthy then you wouldn't have to work out.

I've lost 16 lbs in 2 months. I found this and started on February 1st. I wasn't even trying to lose weight... just trying not to over eat.
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    I don't see what the big deal is... I work in an office, and stay in my chair basically all day... from 7 to 5. I get up, walk 15 feet to the fridge for my lunch, walk 15 feet to the microwave, walk 15 feet back to my desk... that's all I do during work hours. If you do a lot of walking to go to the bathroom etc... that is a big waste of time and your employers money.

There are donuts and other treats in our office 2 or 3 times a week. I don't mind having a serving or 2, or 3... or 4. I like them. I have this awesome myfitnesspal calorie counter on my phone. I make sure to track everything I eat... sweets and all. If I end up being over on the goal for the day, I make sure I work out after work. I have 3 kids and a wife, It isn't hard to find time to work out after the kids have gone to bed at 9.

Ideally you would eat healthy... if you just ate healthy then you wouldn't have to work out.

I've lost 16 lbs in 2 months. I found this and started on February 1st. I wasn't even trying to lose weight... just trying not to over eat.

Wow... gee thanks for the motivation (sarcasm included). It isn't just about eating healthy. You have to work out as well if you want to lose weight. Great for you, you go ahead and eat all of those donuts. I am not complaining about not having time to work out. I work out 5, sometimes 6 times a week. Why don't you go be negative somewhere else
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options

Oh well for support!

Cratthauer - I feel your pain! I always had active jobs, served, worked on ranches, and I've been in an office for 4 years now - originally I put on 15 pounds and lost all my muscle. It was awful! Office jobs really do make you feel drained too even though they're not physically demanding.

Watching what I ate definitely helped! It also helped me learn to eat small meals throughout the day instead of big ones like I could do on the ranch. It doesnt get the muscle back and thats really what burns calories. Eating healthy will get you most of the way there, but when you're down to the last few pounds, working out is key!

At least in the office I can use this site more ;) good luck!
  • Joseyapo
    Options
    I wasn't meaning to bash anyone with my comment... it is basic arithmetic... calories in - calories out. When you setup your goal on here with an amount of weight you want to lose each week, that is the amount of calories you can eat and lose weight based on your goal... without working out. If you workout on top of that, you can either eat more food to replace the calories burned, or don't eat more and you lose more weight. As long as your cumulative total or your net calorie count is equal to or less than your goal... you will lose the weight you expected to in your goal... if your goal is to lose weight. It has been working out for me. I won't lie, I have been working out to stay toned-up, but if you are just looking at losing weight, simply keep a good track of your calories. I wish the best to you.
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    I HATE having an office job! I feel so lazy throughout the day. I grew up on a farm, started serving when I was 16, then worked at a cabinetry factory from 21-23 yrs. of age. So up until 1 1/2 years ago I have always had active jobs. After I got this office job, that is when the weight started piling on. 20 lbs gained in 1 1/2 years. I've already lost 5, only 15 to go, but I feel like if I had a more active job it would be so much easier! Plus, I work with women. Most of them also overweight, only they don't seem to care about it and are always bringing in pizza, McDonalds, brownies, and other sweets. I haven't caved, but it's not exactly easy watching them eat all of that, or being able to smell it. Only 8 more months and I'll be able to quit this job and find something better! Hopefully more active as well!

This is exactly how my work environment is too. I just work out after work extra hard to compensate because I'm used to being active as well.
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    I wasn't meaning to bash anyone with my comment... it is basic arithmetic... calories in - calories out. When you setup your goal on here with an amount of weight you want to lose each week, that is the amount of calories you can eat and lose weight based on your goal... without working out. If you workout on top of that, you can either eat more food to replace the calories burned, or don't eat more and you lose more weight. As long as your cumulative total or your net calorie count is equal to or less than your goal... you will lose the weight you expected to in your goal... if your goal is to lose weight. It has been working out for me. I won't lie, I have been working out to stay toned-up, but if you are just looking at losing weight, simply keep a good track of your calories. I wish the best to you.

But it isn't just about calories in and calories out, it is also about what KIND of calories you are taking in. Watching fat calories is a big thing. If you sit and eat 1200 calories of fat you're not going to lose what you would if you ate healthy meals full of protein....
  • Joseyapo
    Options
    But it isn't just about calories in and calories out, it is also about what KIND of calories you are taking in. Watching fat calories is a big thing. If you sit and eat 1200 calories of fat you're not going to lose what you would if you ate healthy meals full of protein....

I'm sorry to say this, but you are wrong... There have been many studies that have proved that thought wrong. I hope this link gets posted.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6250304/twinkie_diet_results_in_shortterm_weight.html?cat=51

It is about a professor who eats pretty healthy did a study where he only ate twinkies... it resulted in him losing 27 lbs. and lowered his bad cholesterol levels. If my link above doesn't come through, google twinkie study.

It is as simple as calories in and calories out.

My original goal was 1/2 lb. a week. That puts me at a daily calorie intake of 1940. I've averaged a loss of 2 lbs. a week, so far. That's because a lot of days, at the end of the day, I am 400-500 calories below my 1940 goal. And i'm not eating healthy. I'm just eating what I ate before... just watching the calories and not over eating.
  • pearlsgirl96
    Options

I'm going to butt-in here but its not just calories in- calories out. You need to get enough calories every day to feed your muscles and metabolism properly. Too little caloric intake and your body will start to burn off muscle mass and your metabolism can go into starvation mode (which is a biological device where your body will store as much fat as it can to protect you from starvation as opposed to allowing for the calories to be burned off). All calories are NOT created equal and those little doughnut treats you keep eating are not doing you any favors as they spike your body's insulin level which signals your body to store FAT! There is such a thing as quality calories. You would do well only eating things like that on a cheat day. Also exercise is how you stay fit and young so you can feel good to keep up with your wfie and children. Exercise is also how you work out your heart muscles and lungs to stave off heart and lung diseases and high blood pressure. Exercise builds muscle; more muscle mass means more calories burned off even while the body is at rest. Ask any nutritionist or personal trainer. They will tell you the same.

Best...
  • Joseyapo
    Options
    I'm going to butt-in here but its not just calories in- calories out. You need to get enough calories every day to feed your muscles and metabolism properly. Too little caloric intake and your body will start to burn off muscle mass and your metabolism can go into starvation mode (which is a biological device where your body will store as much fat as it can to protect you from starvation as opposed to allowing for the calories to be burned off). All calories are NOT created equal and those little doughnut treats you keep eating are not doing you any favors as they spike your body's insulin level which signals your body to store FAT! There is such a thing as quality calories. You would do well only eating things like that on a cheat day. Also exercise is how you stay fit and young so you can feel good to keep up with your wfie and children. Exercise is also how you work out your heart muscles and lungs to stave off heart and lung diseases and high blood pressure. Exercise builds muscle; more muscle mass means more calories burned off even while the body is at rest. Ask any nutritionist or personal trainer. They will tell you the same.

You make some good points... but 1400 to 1500 calories a day won't put me into starvation mode. Starvation mode is a term people usually use as an excuse for people to eat more. This app warns you that you shouldn't eat under 1200 or you may enter into starvation mode. I'm not saying you shouldn't exercise... I know that it is good for you. All I'm saying is that it isn't necessary to lose weight.

In my earlier post, with the twinkie study a professor had done... he ate 1800 calories of twinkies each day and lost a bunch of weight. If you eat 1800 calories of twinkies, or 1800 calories of fruits and vegetables, you will lose weight. If you eat 3500 calories of twinkies, or 3500 calories of fruits and vegetables, you will gain weight.

- CHALLENGE - eat 300 calories less than your daily goal... for 1 week... as long as this puts you above the 1200 minimum. With or without exercise. And I guarantee you will lose weight.

"Calories are really quite innocent. They don’t even know if they are an olive oil calorie or a vegetable oil calorie or a Pam spray calorie or a trans fat calorie, they are just a calorie." http://tucsoncitizen.com/living-thin/2010/06/05/myth-buster-3500-calories-in-a-pound-are-all-calories-created-equally/
  • cbratthauer
    Options

I'm sorry to say this, but you are wrong... There have been many studies that have proved that thought wrong. I hope this link gets posted.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6250304/twinkie_diet_results_in_shortterm_weight.html?cat=51

It is about a professor who eats pretty healthy did a study where he only ate twinkies... it resulted in him losing 27 lbs. and lowered his bad cholesterol levels. If my link above doesn't come through, google twinkie study.

It is as simple as calories in and calories out.

My original goal was 1/2 lb. a week. That puts me at a daily calorie intake of 1940. I've averaged a loss of 2 lbs. a week, so far. That's because a lot of days, at the end of the day, I am 400-500 calories below my 1940 goal. And i'm not eating healthy. I'm just eating what I ate before... just watching the calories and not over eating.

To each their own but I have been working out since October of last year and not watching the types of foods I ate, just making sure I was getting what I needed for calories. I lost 3 lbs in 5 months, not good... Since I've started eating healthier and cutting out the FAT calories, I have lost 5 lbs in 16 days. Every nutritionalist and personal trainer I have talked to has said eating healthy is a big part of losing weight. So I'm sorry to say this, but you are wrong