Any one else deal with this?

Options
bethikabob
bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
I love my grandparents, but they can be frustrating sometimes. This morning my grandmother called me around 11:30.
Nan: Did I wake you?
Me: No it's almost noon, I've been up.
Thank you grandmother for thinking I sleep rediculously late (and if i was asleep I wouldn't have heard the phone since theres only one downstairs and in my parents closed bedroom). Then some chit chat about me coming over to hear about how to take care of their dog (theyre going out of town this weekend with my mom to visit my brother). I've taken care of their dog quite a few times already, but I'll indulge since I bet they want to see me. Here comes the 'fun' part...
Nan: Are you still on your diet? (she asks me this every time we speak)
Me: It's not a diet Nan.
Nan: Well are you still on your...way of eating?
Me: (:ohwell: not sure whether to sigh with frustation or giggle) Yes, Nan. And I plan to be for pretty much the rest of my life.
And now the question that always ensues...
Nan: Well what can I make you? I have cheese...can you eat cheese?
Me: I have food here, don't worry and I'll be over in a bit.
The food is different every time, but the questions remain the same: "I have ____, can you eat ____?"
Everything from chicken to cheese to cake to veggies and fruit. Oh well, it is sweet that she's concerned for whether or not she has something to feed me. After all, she's a full blooded Italian lol.:happy: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    Everyone probably deals with a family member or 10 who don't care what they eat (or feed you). You are dealing with it the right way. Many moms and grandma's get great satisfaction at fattening up their family. It is how they show love. So give her grace.

-B
  • snoilog
    snoilog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    LOL...Italian grandmas are the best!!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Too cute!
  • Lulumaguloo
    Options
    LOL that is super sweet and understandably frustrating. I have the opposite problem w/ my BF. He's like hey let's get some pizza w/ extra cheese oOOOh Meat lovers. I'm like umm. . . Not worth the calories babe. . . . Ugh your diet sucks lol. That happens about once a week the rest of the time he is really supportive. lol
  • jovigirl3312
    Options
    Maybe tell her you can eat anything you want - that it is in portion size. Bet she would be suprised you could eat tiramisu - only just one tablespoon! heh!
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Had this conversation with my mother in law last night. She cooks dinner for us every Sunday night. Her dinners consist of home made dumplings, chicken, homemade mac n cheese, green beans with fat back and bacon, baked pineapple, biscuits, and maybe another veggie. Now, when I was my old self I would eat all of it and go for seconds because it is absolutely delish! But, now I would eat the chicken and a veggie. Last night she says well what can you eat. I respond with whatever you make I will eat it I just have to watch the side dishes. I mean every meal she makes I can get away with eating something and I guess she is just being nice and supportive and I totally appreciate that!
  • BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Had this conversation with my mother in law last night. She cooks dinner for us every Sunday night. Her dinners consist of home made dumplings, chicken, homemade mac n cheese, green beans with fat back and bacon, baked pineapple, biscuits, and maybe another veggie. Now, when I was my old self I would eat all of it and go for seconds because it is absolutely delish! But, now I would eat the chicken and a veggie. Last night she says well what can you eat. I respond with whatever you make I will eat it I just have to watch the side dishes. I mean every meal she makes I can get away with eating something and I guess she is just being nice and supportive and I totally appreciate that!
    OOOOOHHHH that sounds like some Down Home SOUTHERN cooking. And I want some.lol
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,178 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a Nan :cry:
  • emmascott
    emmascott Posts: 249
    Options
    I wish I had a Nan :cry:

Oh don't ... me too ... you will make me cry!!! TOM and all!!! lol xxx
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    OOOOOHHHH that sounds like some Down Home SOUTHERN cooking. And I want some.lol
    It is and it WAS great...how do you think I got to be a fatty, lol!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Gotta love'em!!! May be a little annoying, but enjoy it while you can...if you look at it in a certain way, they'll crack you up with laughter! They sound like some fiesty folks that are still kicking thru it all and it's something to be proud of...love it!:heart::heart:
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I only have one grandparent left, my grandma, and I wish I could be closer to her (we are 2 1/2 hours away). I don't think she's trying to annoy/frustrate you, I think she is just being a grandma. My grandma repeats herself or asks the same questions a lot as well. I think it just comes with age. And at least she is asking what you can or can't eat instead of saying here eat this :smile:

My mom frustrates me so I sort of know how you feel...