C25K and Heart Issues

Options
Is there anyone who has done the C25K program who has heart issues? (with Doctors' permission of course) Thanks in advance and I love this site btw.

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    What sort of heart issue?
  • caramia1992
    Options
    Atrial Fibrillation is my issue.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    My heart issues are fairly common - I have a mitrol prolapse valve. Its never hindered any of my exercise. However, this recent bout of increased exercise I've been doing has my heart doing some weird beating patterns. It's been a long time since my heart's been looked at so I might go in and have it checked out.

That's really the extent of my experience. Sorry I can't be of more help. Did you talk to your doctor about the running? I can look up your condition and guess, but I'd follow what your doctor says. In general I think exercise, especially cardio (running) would be good for your heart as its a muscle. But, there are some conditions that I can see it might be more of a bad thing, or at least would make you have to increase exercise at a very slow pace.
  • caramia1992
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. My Doctor ok'd the program but said slow start would be best. I just wanted to know if anyone had any other things to add. Sounds like a good idea for you to get a check-up. Always better safe than sorry especially when you're working so hard and doing so well. :smile:
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    What I have is fairly common and people live their whole lives without any issue. However, my father had the same and his valve stopped working. He had it replaced just before he turned 50. So, that sort of scares me. He is a smoker and has really bad sleep apnea so I don't know how much that played into the heart thing. I'm also much more active. Anyway, I have a request into the doc to see.

I haven't actually asked if C25K would be ok, but she knows I exercise and didn't seem concerned. However, with this new thing I will get it checked out and ask.

Good luck with the program. I'm planning to start on Monday.