Replies

• amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    love this thread!
  • mae3785
    mae3785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Saw this on America's Worst Cooks a month or so ago, and adapted it to ground turkey, and tossed out some of the extra fat. These are great as an appetizer, or served with a salad.

Blue Cheese Turkey Meatballs (lite)
    adapted from recipe by Robert Irvine, on Americas Worst Cooks
    Makes 6 servings of 4 meatballs each (or vice versa for small meal)

1.5 lbs ground turkey
    1/4 cup egg substitute
    1/2 TBSP celery salt
    1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
    Sauce:
    1 cup tomato juice
    1/2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
    1 TBSP hot sauce
    pinch celery salt

Preheat the oven to 350.
    In a bowl, combine the ground meat, egg, and celery salt. Add breadcrumbs and blue cheese and mix to combine. Spray a mini-muffin pan (24 spots) lightly with cooking spray. Divide the meat mixture into 24 balls and put one in each cup of the pan. (Or just space them out on a flat baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes.

For the sauce: combine tomato juice, vinegar, hot sauce and celery salt in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. ( Can whisk in up to 2 TBSP of oil to thicken, but adds 40 calories per serving. )

To serve: Place the cooked meatballs in a bowl, add some of the sauce, and toss to coat. Serve remaining sauce as a dip.

Approximate nutrition for 4 meatballs: 240 calories, 11g fat, 8g carb, 23g protein

I used a similar recipe last night, but instead of blue cheese I used laughing cow cheese wedges. They come in different flavors and are usually about 35 cals per wedge.
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    Italian Turkey Sausage Recipe

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com, great site to go to for recipes made by REAL people. I haven't tried it yet, but I have 1 lb of ground turkey waiting to be used.

1 lb ground turkey
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a bowl, combine the turkey, garlic powder, fennel seed, sugar, salt, oregano and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. Shape into eight patties. Cook in a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray for about 3 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Or crumble turkey into a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cook and stir for about 4 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Italian-Turkey-Sausage/Detail.aspx
  • daniellefsc
    daniellefsc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We don't eat red meat as well. We switched to ground turkey about 3 years, and love it. We use it for any recipe that calls for ground beef. Some of our favorite recipes include lettuce wraps, turkey meatballs, a variety of chili, enchiladas, and taco salad.
  • JackiSto
    JackiSto Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Woot! I've been wanting to do a barley soup recipe - perfect timing!
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options

I used a similar recipe last night, but instead of blue cheese I used laughing cow cheese wedges. They come in different flavors and are usually about 35 cals per wedge.

Good idea!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe for Turkey Cilantro burgers, I think is is on my profile page. I am new to this site so I am not sure if the recipe I shared will show, or how to view other reipes.
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    I have made a veggie and groud turkey soup and it was awesome!
    I also made turkey meatballs a few days ago and my family LOVED them.
    Ground Turkey
    Minced onion
    Minced garlic
    Lots of italian seasoning
    Seasoning salt
    Pepper
    Light Ranch Dressing (instead of an egg)
    Whole wheat bread crumbs

Pan fry them in a light oil or a cooking spray

Then we dipped them in mustard and paired it with parboiled rice and veggies.
  • ashleighlvschris
    Options
    I use it to make stuffed bell peppers, tacos, & for spaghetti I use the jennie-o italian seasoned turkey.
  • apoyser
    apoyser Posts: 35
    Options
    We use turkey in everything we used to use beef in. Our favorite burgers include chopped jalapeños and cheese, and our other favorite is with chopped onion, green peppers, and soy sauce! I recommend them to everyone!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe for a Caribbean Turkey Chili

Ingredients:
    1 pound ground turkey
    1 15 oz. can black beans
    8 oz. mango nectar
    1 medium onion diced
    1 large sweet potato (peeled, diced, and cooked)
    1 packet of McCormick's chili seasoning--mild, regular, or hot, depends on what you want (or you can sub your own seasonings)
    chicken broth (anywhere between 16-32 oz.)
    a couple teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
    Brown the turkey and onion in a bit of EVOO
    When it's done, add the sweet potato, beans, nectar and seasoning. Add enough broth to cover--I usually add extra and let it boil down to thicken.
    Bring to a boil and simmer until it's heated through or desired thickness.
  • Kel2450
    Kel2450 Posts: 3
    Options
    I frequently use ground turkey as a meat loaf.
    1 lb ground turkey
    1 egg 1 white
    2/3 c stove top or like stuffing mix
    1/2 c dry cranberries
    large chunks of celery, onion,mushrooms
    peppers, what every you enjoy for extras.
    Enough broth to moisten

bake 350 degrees in muffin tin until done (about 25 min)
    Freeze extra's so to have them with pasta or plain.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I like adding one of the taco seasoning packages to it and then putting it on salad.

I use turkey for everything I used to use beef for. Shepard's Pie, Spaghetti, chilli, sloppy joe's, casseroles, lasagna, I use it in pad thai sometimes instead of chicken breasts, tacos, burritos... the list goes on and on.
  • avoisinet
    avoisinet Posts: 14
    Options
    I am actually making Turkey Tacos today for lunch. I love homemade tacos, but wanted low fat so I substituted the beef for turkey and I use whole wheat shells, or sometimes, just pile the cooked turkey on lettuce with low fat cheese. I add some banana peppers (I like hot stuff) and some of the juice which makes it extra tasty.
  • JonnaGrace
    Options
    Let me tell ya I have a fire recipe for ground turkey stuffed bell peppers...actually if you go to Allrecipes.com and look for Stuffed Peppers with Turkey and Vegetables. Let me tell ya I have made these like 3 times since I found the recipe....YUMMMM However I used all colors of bell Peppers....and when I cut the tops off for stuffing...I used those pepper pieces for the diced pieces later...so ya dont have to use just Green...