drinking beer, how bad is it

Options
I like to have a few beers on the weekend. Lets say tonight i have 8 maybe 10 beers (miller 64) and i stay within my calorie range. Is it really gonna have an effect on weight loss? Don't tell me its not health I already know that lol, but old habits die hard you know LOL. thanks in advance and post replys and be honest i wont take it personal thanks

Replies

• Cherie72
    Cherie72 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem..... :(
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that bad, though alcohol will have an effect on your metabolism (slowing it down).

So it will slow down your progess. But if you can live with that, go for it.
  • cmel6334
    cmel6334 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I switched to Bud 55. As long as you watch what you eat and workout regularly, having some beers on the weekend won't hinder your weight loss. Just make sure you don't get the late night munchies and pig out after drinking.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I like to have a few beers on the weekend. Lets say tonight i have 8 maybe 10 beers (miller 64) and i stay within my calorie range. Is it really gonna have an effect on weight loss? Don't tell me its not health I already know that lol, but old habits die hard you know LOL. thanks in advance and post replys and be honest i wont take it personal thanks

if you use 600+ calories on beer, most likely you will be lacking in other nutrients, such as fiber, protein, and many other vitamins and minerals. If you don't take multi-vitamins you may want to if this is a regular occurrence. You will have to make sure 100% of your non-beer calories are from good sources or you would risk missing vital nutrition requirements.
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    its only on the weekends, your staying within your calories, go for it! Gotta live a little, and you're more likely to keep weight off if while losing it you don't completely deprive yourself! Like you said old habits die hard, they don't need to die, just hibernate every so often :)
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I switched to Bud 55. As long as you watch what you eat and workout regularly, having some beers on the weekend won't hinder your weight loss. Just make sure you don't get the late night munchies and pig out after drinking.

OMG! That's my down fall, coming home and avoiding the fridge! haha :)
  • nskerr
    nskerr Posts: 91
    Options
    I found in a weird way that if I cut my caloric intake and drink beer instead it sometimes ends with more weight loss because you pee out so much of it quicker. Renting as opposed to owning if you know what I mean. But I wouldn't do it regularly and 8-10 beers no matter what the caloric intake is a lot.
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i have this problem... and it really sucks.
  • 1976me
    1976me Posts: 10
    Options
    thanks a lot for all your reply's its a great help
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    As long as you're still withing your calorie range, you're good! On nights when I know I'll be having a few beers, I try to exercise a bit more that day so I have more calories to "eat" (drink) later on. I've heard that some people will add the drinks that they plan to have later on to their food diary, and then they know how many calories they have left to eat that day or how much they have to exercise in order to be able to have that many drinks.
  • Kjohnson2387
    Kjohnson2387 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to have a day a week to indulge a little... but both Bud and Miller have come out with products that are low in calories compared to their originial brothers... Bud 55 and Miller Draft 64 calorie (can't remember what the actual name is..) drinks... maybe those could help?
  • dawn454
    dawn454 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I started trying to lose weight I decided to continue having a few on the weekends because I know if I changed everything drastically it wouldn't work. I have beers a couple of nights a week and I am still losing weight. I also keep my calories in check those days and workout more!:drinker:
  • bassman2019
    bassman2019 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry to much, there is a lot less alcohol in those low calorie beers anyway. I believe Budd 55 is at 2.4% and MGD 64 is around 2.8%. The average light beer (Coors light, Bud light, etc) is around 4.2%.
  • dv7834
    dv7834 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

OMG! That's my down fall, coming home and avoiding the fridge! haha :)

This reminds me of a joke: Why do married women tend to weigh more than single women? Single women come home, look in the fridge, then go to bed. Married women come home, look in the bed, and decide to go to the fridge.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with MGD 64 - it is so watered down you'll need 12 to even feel it. My personal favorite is Michelob Ultra -4 or 5 of those babies and I'm flying like a G6. ;)

I need to also add - I haven't had a drink since Mar 6 and the weight has been FALLING off in 3 lb hunks, I swear. I didn't realize how much alcohol sabotages weight loss in so many ways. Its not just calories.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine. I certainly couldn't give up alcohol altogether. But maybe not drink so much every week. Maybe have a drink night every 2-3 weeks. If you're still staying within your calorie range, you're definitely not getting good calories. Make sure you've eaten a decent amount of good food that day. But you're allowed to indulge every now and then.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    yeungling lite, 90 calories each.
  • jcapobr
    jcapobr Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't bother with MGD 64 - it is so watered down you'll need 12 to even feel it. My personal favorite is Michelob Ultra -4 or 5 of those babies and I'm flying like a G6. ;)

I need to also add - I haven't had a drink since Mar 6 and the weight has been FALLING off in 3 lb hunks, I swear. I didn't realize how much alcohol sabotages weight loss in so many ways. Its not just calories.

I noticed this when I went on my first diet grocery store trip. I was comparing calories to alcohol content and I would have to drink at 2 MGD64's to equal the amount of buzz I would get from a single Mich Ultra (95 calories). I guess its good for you if you just like the taste of beer but when I'm drinking its more for the buzz/release than the flavor. But thats me :)
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Since alcohol is full of empty calories, which simply add to your daily total and give you no nutrients at all, this can wreak havoc with your metabolism and cause you to keep or gain weight.

Sounds like you need to decide which is more important- your desire to drink 10 beers or your desire to lose weight. You can't have both.
  • nskerr
    nskerr Posts: 91
    Options
    yeungling lite, 90 calories each.

Is that any good? I can't drink Coors Light, Bud Light or Michelob Ultra unless it is like 95 degrees. I like the heavier beers, Sam Adams, Blue Point, Yuengling and Guinness. I like Sam Adams Light but it is like 125 calories a bottle but it tastes pretty good. If Yuengling Light tastes like Yuengling at 90 calories I may switch over considering a 12oz bottle of Coors Light is over 100 calories.