40 & ready to get fabulous!

Options
Last week I turned 40; spent the day depressed and giving myself a pity party. I started thinking about our local YMCA and how comfortable I felt walking in a frumpy mom on a visit with a friend. Well, I went back this week and met Erin. She gave me a tour and some personal insight on her 100lb loss. One tip was the myfitnesspal.com website. She showed me how easy it was to use; so I told her I'd check it out but made no promises. Man, this is so much better than a journal or other tracking devices! I've already told others in the office about it and will have my husband on it by next week.

Oh, after really thinking the pros & cons in the gyms we visited; I'm going in tonight and signing up with the Y. My 4 kids range from 10 - 21 so there's something for the three still at home. After giving birth 4 times, surgeries & a hysterectomy; my body needs this. I had lost weight with a personal trainer before so I know the exercise part but still need guidance and food tracking. There's no way I can fail now... Wish me luck!

Replies

• flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I turned 40 in September. It sux getting old, but I guess you are only as old as you feel!

6001453.png
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! You'll love it here. The support is great!! Feel free to request me as a friend. I love giving support back. Good luck on your journey!!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP....it is a great place to be :bigsmile:
    Happy Belated Birthday!!!!
    Good luck.....you can do this!!!
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am in my 40's too! Feel free to add me and we can push each other along!
  • Kfrerichs
    Kfrerichs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi: In my 40s. Where did the time go?
    I lost 35 pounds a few years ago and it is creeping back on. So I am trying to get back down to my goal weight and a healthy BMI.
    I promised myself I would record all the food I have eaten for 21 days so that it would become a habit and I am 7 days in. Some good days, some bad, but at least I am sticking with it.

Good luck. keep going to the gym and tracking.
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    MFP has been the difference for me. It helps me track the nutritional stuff that just seemed over my head before :) I know you'll love the site. Here's to your success and health!!
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on joining and making a change.
    I also turned 40 last September. Back then, I only "sort of" felt that it was time for a change. However, it wasn't until February that I woke up and wanted to change. Finding MFP was purely by accident. Kudos to your friend that gave you a tour and the encouragement.

When first joining, I was unsure that I could keep up with logging. However, for me at least, I found that periodically making blogs, posting in forums and connecting with others gives you a sense of social commitment. That commitment has kept me focused and determined (genuinely priceless).

One final tidbit of advice, for me it helps tremendously to focus on the positive attitudes of the other members. The motivation is also invaluable. I make a conscious effort to feed my mind the "positive" and (at least for now) avoid the forums/posts that appear negative. The great thing is that an overwhelming number of people on here ARE positive; so avoiding those who may bring me down is very easy to do.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I also turned 40 last September. Back then, I only "sort of" felt that it was time for a change. However, it wasn't until February that I woke up and wanted to change. Finding MFP was purely by accident. Kudos to your friend that gave you a tour and the encouragement.

When first joining, I was unsure that I could keep up with logging. However, for me at least, I found that periodically making blogs, posting in forums and connecting with others gives you a sense of social commitment. That commitment has kept me focused and determined (genuinely priceless).

One final tidbit of advice, for me it helps tremendously to focus on the positive attitudes of the other members. The motivation is also invaluable. I make a conscious effort to feed my mind the "positive" and (at least for now) avoid the forums/posts that appear negative. The great thing is that an overwhelming number of people on here ARE positive; so avoiding those who may bring me down is very easy to do.
  • mitts1970
    mitts1970 Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi Welcome! I also turned 40 in September and want to be fabulous as well :) We can journey together if you'd like - friend me!

This site is wonderful - the tools, tips, ideas and recipes are great, but the best part is the support and encouragement of those you add as friends - it's amazing! :bigsmile:

Good luck!

April
    mitts1970
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! I turned 41 in December. My 30's really stunk so I was actually looking forward to leaving that decade behind. Lots of deaths, though there was lots of good too.
    This site has been a real God send as far as keeping myself acountable for what goes in my mouth. I definiteyl eat better, drink more water and even exercise on a regular basis, excpet for the past 2 weeks, but they are just that, PAST! Today is April 1 and NO JOKE! The seriousness begins today and never ends!!!!!!!
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like! I love giving motivation to people and can definitely use some myself!! :smile:
  • sellingsworth
    Options
    I always heard that life begins at 40!!! - Congratulations on joining - this is a really fun site - we are all here to lose weight - enjoy
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a fantastic place! Happy late birthday as well! I will turn 40 in six weeks, I'm struggling with it, but keep trying to tell myself it's just a number! Add me if you like!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree!
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ^^ Welcome!

Hardest part is admitting, and showing yourself that a huge change in your life will be better for you. Starting up with this website is extremely helpful. There are so many success stories, and people going through hard times together which makes it that much easier to know that you're not alone in your fight!

Best of luck!
  • 40plusandfab
    Options
    EACH ONE OF YOU ARE ALREADY FABULOUS!!!:smile:
    AND I CELEBRATE THE GREATNESS IN YOU

www.40plusandfabulous.com
    www.twitter.com/fortyplusandfab
    www.facebook.com/40plusandfabulous
  • buttonmoons
    Options
    Well.. I'm 45 and also heading fabulous after years of feeling less than the best I could be. I've been here about 6 weeks and found it better than anything I've done in the past as there is no humiliating weigh in and group shame that I always felt at a class.
    I am really pleased. Add me if you like and we can support each other.
  • swolfe1117
    Options
    GREAT JOB!! ANy hints or tips for those of us just starting :/
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    44 here -- it's never too late to start! Glad to have you here. Feel free to "friend" me and best of luck on your journey. We're here for you!