OCD?

Options
So I was wondering if anyone else is slightly OCD? I believe I am with ..washing my hands, I check 5 times before I leave a room to make sure everything is off or what needs to be unplugged is, touching the least amount of things in a public restroom...

I would love to hear some of y'alls "slight" OCD actions.. :bigsmile:

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I get ocd when i run into a problem I can not fix, and with organizing my stuff when taking something apart lol. All in order, layed out so it makes sense.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    YES!! Everything must be in alphabetical order! I do a walk through of my house about 5 times before I leave to make sure everything is off/unplugged/etc. I also have a tendancy to have everything be either an even number or divisible by five! I'm not sure how much of this is actual OCD tendencies, but my friends and I sometimes joke about it saying I'm OCD (It is nothing at all to joke about because it is a very serious thing, but it is more them poking fun at me when I freak out if something is not in alphabetical order!)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of people in this thread who claim to have OCD but really just prefer their things neat and orderly. Just a heads up. haha
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    Im OCD about organization of my fridge...and of other peoples fridges. Things must be in a certain place. I'll organize peoples fridge and freezers too.

Also ocd about lables facing outwards.
  • casandra_Garcia_37
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of people in this thread who claim to have OCD but really just prefer their things neat and orderly. Just a heads up. haha

It's okay. I think I have mild OCD but I could just be one of those people. Lol :ohwell:
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I hafta have my TV OR Radio volume on an even number. And I like all my labels to be facing forward(like in cupboards and such).
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    or log everything in before you eat it... or else you feel anxiety... most definitely. : 0
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I can not stand ANYTHING under my feet, as in dirt. I sweep up to 5 or 6 times a day, the WHOLE floor if I even feel one piece of dirt under my feet. I can't stand it. When we moved into our new house, I got this textile deficiancy disorder which is an OCD and I couldn't touch fabric of any kind without it making me have goosies, like fingernails on a chalkboard. I used self talk to make it go away, I have no idea to this day why that happened. :D

I have alot more little "ticks" but those are the major ones, and I also count things by 5. EVERYTHING by 5. Yes I am weird. =)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    i have to have the volume on the tv on an even number. by even, i mean: either on a 10 (10, 20, 30, ect) or on a 5 (15, 25, 35, etc) or i will have a tiny panic attack. if absolutely necessary i can tolerate it on a 2 or an 8, but 4's and 6's are too close to the 5's. even when im working in photoshop or indesign and i need to create swatches of color or edit photos, i choose the amounts of each setting based on those principles. it just feels more orderly to me. only if there is a significant difference will i compromise on this.

i also count how many swipes of deodorant i put under each arm so it stays even. i have a very strict routine in the shower that makes it impossible to take one quickly because i can't skip any steps or i feel gross. i dont untie my shoes each time i take them off because they have to be perfectly even on my feet and i will spend 15 mins fiddling with my laces if i do untie them.

i like things to be arranged neatly, but i am not a clean freak. i like things to be clear, i hate clutter, but you probably couldn't eat off my floor at any given point. if the counters or floors or anything are cluttered i get panicky.

i used to be much worse, but i've thankfully learned to let things go when something else is more important.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If my room isn't perfect, I freak out and cry.. ...It's just little things, but the little things add up. It is a pain in the *kitten* at best.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

oh, yes. it may be mild, but i definitely have it.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It's actually CDO, so the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be! :tongue: :laugh:

And yes, but I use my OCD powers for good and try to channel them to productive things. :smile:
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    the old fashion ice cube trays had to have the water in them perfectly even. I was so glad when i got a fridge that made ice for me i didnt have to deal with the 15 to 20 min. just filling a few ice cube trays. I have to run material, paper or string or just about anything under my finger nails to relax or just when I am trying to relax. If something touches one palm on one hand I have to have it touch the palm of the other hand. When I clap I have to rub my palms together after to smooth it out. My feet feel closterphobic whith shoes and socks on unless I have room to take my big toe and put it on top of the one next to it and "flick" it. My skin feels like it is crawling all the time, so i am always readjusting my clothing to be just perfect so I will not notice any wrinkles or folds. I can not get comfortable in bed unless the sheets are perfect, no wrinkles no creases, plus the top sheet has to be on me in a specific way. It usually takes me 5 to 10 min. to settle down when going to sleep because I am fidgiting so badly and have been known to kick my husband out of bed so I can re-do the sheets so that I can go to sleep.( this ticks him off pretty badly). If all of this does not happen I will go into panick attacks NEEDING it to happen. Once it is all right then I feel so much better. I also count things constenly. (Bricks on walls, pencils, holes in the celieng tiles) I will also visually trace things like square objects or cirlces, in every pattern you can and I will do it over and over again till i get it perfect.

I also have AADD ( adult attention deficit disorder) which makes me very scatter brained and I have read that OCD goes hand in hand with AADD since this seems to be one of the only ways we can keep things organized. It helps us to make sure that we are not missing anything.
    I find my problems to be very comforting and would be scared to get treatment to make them go away.
  • catherinern
    Options
    McKay Machina, I agree with you!

Agree!!
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Totally agree. OCD is alot more than what ALOT of people think it is. It's definitely a manifestation of someone's mental process. I suffered from OCD really bad for 7 years, but have overcome most of it over the past 3 years.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i have to have the volume on the tv on an even number. by even, i mean: either on a 10 (10, 20, 30, ect) or on a 5 (15, 25, 35, etc) or i will have a tiny panic attack. if absolutely necessary i can tolerate it on a 2 or an 8, but 4's and 6's are too close to the 5's. even when im working in photoshop or indesign and i need to create swatches of color or edit photos, i choose the amounts of each setting based on those principles. it just feels more orderly to me. only if there is a significant difference will i compromise on this.

i also count how many swipes of deodorant i put under each arm so it stays even. i have a very strict routine in the shower that makes it impossible to take one quickly because i can't skip any steps or i feel gross. i dont untie my shoes each time i take them off because they have to be perfectly even on my feet and i will spend 15 mins fiddling with my laces if i do untie them.

i like things to be arranged neatly, but i am not a clean freak. i like things to be clear, i hate clutter, but you probably couldn't eat off my floor at any given point. if the counters or floors or anything are cluttered i get panicky.

i used to be much worse, but i've thankfully learned to let things go when something else is more important.

I do the deodorant thing! 5 times! :D Glad to know I'm not alone!
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Was diagnosed with OCD when I was 17. My rituals are counting (and recounting and recounting and recounting) everything!! Ugh, annoying!! Also when I drive I will check what gear I am in and then get obsessed with it and check at least 5 more times before I finally redirect myself or the light changes.

ADDED: I tend to get stuck in any loop, like getting a song stuck in your head but only 3 words of one verse on an endless loop, when I am stressed though. The more stressed I am the more I was my hands the more I tidy things and re-do it 5-6-7 more times when it's no longer needed... etc. OCD isn;t as glamorous as floors clean enough to eat off of.
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Does anyone suffer from OCD with Dermatillomania? I'm a diagnosed "picker" and would love to hear from other people how they handle or can over come this.
  • FitFrenchGirl
    Options
    Ocd with me is cleaning omg.....i will redo something if i feel is wrong..i hate it....its only with cleaning one time i spent 30mins refolding clothes///hahah im just weird i guess