anyone else not have ability to work out?

Options
3.5yrs ago I flipped a car 4times. The seat belt buckle jammed into my hip very badly and it prevents me from doing a lot of workout. I'm starting to feel a bit better but that comes and goes. I've been doing 90minutes cardio a week at home by jogging n place, dancing, maybe some short amounnts of walking.. today I am going to the gym for my first time during this diet and am going to see how I do, but I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there that is losing weight while not doing all these workouts and is focusing on food and not worrying about excercise...specifically someone who physically is limited like myself and can't work out due to that...

I have 130lbs left to lose, just lookin for friends that r similiar n the fitness category.

Replies

• ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am currently in a scooter due to a heel/achilles injury, and have made some adjustments to workouts. I "chair" dance meaning I wave my arms, wiggle my tooshie, kick my good leg, I also do some abdominal pilates that dont require me to stand on both legs. I dont get near the cal/burn that others do, but I am toning and still exerting some extra cardio. It is difficult when you are handicapped by pain or injury, but the flip side is as the number on the scale decreases- the pain should also decrease. Good LUCK
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    I did successfully lose weight without exercise after I had my son. I just simply didn't have the time for it. It just meant I had to cut back calories that much more, using MFP of course as the tool to determine that number. Just set your activity level to sedentary. It might be more difficult as you get closer to your goal, but sure you can still lose weight.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've heard losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. You can lose weight without exercise, but it's best to try to be somewhat active. If you can, try really low impact stuff like walking, instead of running, and focus more on your diet.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I have emphysema and asthma (multiple triggers including exercise) So I am very limited in what I can do. Not had a problem with the elliptical I used at pulmonary rehab (so I've just bought one!) The stepper machine was a different matter, caused too much breathlessness and wheezing. I have tried zumba on youtube and can just about manage 3-4 minute bursts so no point signing up for 60 minute classes (youtube length ones are perfect for me!) I have an abs bench (bought this week) and abs roller, resistance bands, a gym ball and a thigh toner (the squeeze your thighs together thingymebob) but other than that my weightloss has been down to diet.

Diet alone can lose the weight but toning up will need exercise and there is always something that you can do or modify for your illness/disability etc
  • HeidiAileen
    HeidiAileen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have Comcast as my TV / Internet provider and they have Excercise TV on there. There is tons of free workouts on there. I just tried Leslie Sansone's 1-mile Walk at Home. It's only about 20 min long and its walking in place with side steps and kicks. You might be able to try something like that. Just an idea. Good luck.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have Comcast as my TV / Internet provider and they have Excercise TV on there. There is tons of free workouts on there. I just tried Leslie Sansone's 1-mile Walk at Home. It's only about 20 min long and its walking in place with side steps and kicks. You might be able to try something like that. Just an idea. Good luck.

I use this as well! I definitely recommend it, because it gives you a great work out without being high-impact. Leslie Sansone's videos are amazing because they fit people of all ages, sizes, & fitness levels.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    So sorry you had to go through that accident, it sounds horrible.. I won't tell you my story (boring), but yes, you can lose weight without a ton of exercise. Exercise is good for your heart and makes you look leaner, but some of us just can't do it. I tried 30 Day Shred....OMG...what was I thinking??? :noway: :laugh: But I do walk, ride my stationary bike, or do pilates (modified) when my body allows.

I think you are doing great considering, so keep at it. :flowerforyou:
  • fireflyangel22
    fireflyangel22 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have lost without doing too much for workouts and just adjusting my eating habits. My workouts include walking when it is nice out - maybe 2 days a week, and an occasional trip to the gym to use the elliptical - maybe once a week. I also have a friend who lost 60 pounds by watching her food choices only. She never once went to a gym or worked out at home.
    Its possible to loose without high intensity workouts!
  • ladyshills
    Options
    I'm not physically incapable of exercising, but I have thyroid issues which exhaust me & make it hard for me to exercise. I did lose 25 pounds with no exercise but then plateaued for 4 months (on Weight Watchers)... Found this site 2 weeks ago & started walking & doing Zumba & have lost 6.6 pounds in 2 weeks. Do whatever you can do physically, it definately speeds up the process, but you can lose without it. Good luck!
  • amyd03
    amyd03 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have bursitis in boh shoulders, a bad knee( left) , and a pinched nerve in my right hip( from 5 years ago I broke my butt bone). With that said. I go to a workout class one day a week. Watched my cals and lost 10 pounds the first month and 5.5" off my waist. So yes doing limited exercise you will be able to get where you want. It may take a little longer but u will get there
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    in 1993 I had a car wreck and lost my left foot pulled off at the joint. they were able to put it back on, although ended up having to have it fused shortly after.
    the fact that I overate and gained x amount of wieght did not help. really focus on what you eat. as long as you are doing what you can do any bit will help. a great cardio is punches. you can do this from a chair even. the important part is putting out as much effort as you can without injurying yourself worst. push yourself.
    i never dreamed i would be able to run. although i got on a treadmill and worked my way up. I can jog (running for me) at 4.6 for 45 mins. I did this by first started with walking at full incline increasing the speed. then I started at 4.0 and added speed and mins as I felt I could do them. good luck.
    push yourself although know your limits.
    p.s. now that I have loss weight I no longer have to take meds just to walk without pain.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Two words for ya...exercise tv! It's the best, but you seem to be doing pretty well with the jogging in place and there are also chair exercises to do if you just can't be on your feet. I used to hate exercising but when I MADE myself do it on a regular basis I really don't want to be without it. I have an old injury from my teenage years...cracked tailbone...not as severe as what you went thru(thank God you're still here and are ABLE to move), but it does cause a lot of pain sometimes. The weird thing is that I have noticed that I don't have as much pain and stiffness now that I'm working out now, but I'm not a gym person...I stick with exercise tv(really good workouts for any situation) and jogging in place, some strength training(dumbbells) and a stationary bike at home has become my best friend! You don't have to become a fitness guru or anything, I basically workout nowadays because of the great feeling I get immediately afterwards and I know that I'm getting stronger and am able to do things now that I couldn't even imagine before...good luck...I wish you well!!!:flowerforyou:
  • alafalce14120
    Options
    Since 2007, I have been dealing with a fracture to my right leg that is not healing. I walk with crutches and am limited as to which exercises I participate in. I finally went back to the gym a couple of weeks ago. I am able to bicycle on the recumbant bike 10-20 mins at a time. I work with a Personal Trainer 2 times/week who pushes me harder than I push myself. I am always amazed at what I can do.

The important thing to remember is to keep moving. Any exercise, whether it's at home or in an organized setting, is good. Exercise will help you with weight loss by increasing the muscle and decreasing body fat which in turn ramps up the calorie burn. Exercise changes your metabolism assisting in weight loss. :flowerforyou: