What pushes you?

Options
So, I went from having logged in 30+ days in a row, losing weight & inches, to now completely reverting back to my old ways. I want to say first of all I have no one to blame but myself. I even have the greatest MFP friends who are so encouraging & supportive! I just don't know how to push myself to keep exercising & eating right when that little voice in my head says "one day off wont hurt". YES IT DOES! I'm the type that CAN'T take one day off. Every time I do it snowballs. One day turns in to a couple days, turns into a week, etc. I would love to hear from you if you know what I'm going through & have found a way to keep yourself going. Life gets in the way from time to time & there will be occasions where I may have to take a morning off of exercising but I should be able to jump back into it the next day! Seems like once I don't exercise for the day my diet is out the window too! HELP! :)

Replies

• abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm very similar to you.

What pushes me is the love I have for my family - I want to be the best I can be for my son, my husband and me. I want us to live a long, healthy, happy life. I want to be a great example for my son and teach him how to eat from all the colours of the rainbow and how to be active every day (even if it's simply from dancing around the house!) Other things that push me are the diabetes, stroke and heart disease that run in my family.

I want to look and feel sexy(er.) My little motto lately has been "sexier by summer!"

I want to *feel* great (how I did when I was extremely fit before baby.)

Whenever I catch myself cheating and/or about to cheat, I take the time to re-think through these things and 99% of the time it's enough to stop me in my tracks!

~:)
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    I think may be try not thinking of it as "diet", but rather your new lifestyle you're learning. Make it a new habit, don't think of it as punishment :) You've come this far, there is only better things ahead :)
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i understand completley i am the same but i am trying really hard and even though this week has been a bit of a no go i am still going to try my hardest to loose this weight. i push myself and i get those around to push me to though i nealry hit a friend the other day who kept trying to tempt me with chips. i am my own worse enemy but at the moment that is working for me because that little voice in my head keeps having a go at me when i dont exercise or when i reach for that little peice of chocolate or i dont try my hardest . and i keep logging on even if its just to track my cals and exercise if i dont i will quit so i make the effort each day to do this.

i wish you every luck with your journey ;)
  • InspiredByStreisand42
    Options
    I've moved the elliptical trainer that I have at home so it's in front of a mirror... That's almost enough on its own!!! :P
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Good question. What motivates me? ME. I have to start within before I seek help from others. That's how I've always been.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    What motivates me is my previous attempts of trying to lose this weight and failing myself. I made a promise to myself this time that I was going to reach my goal and I won't allow nothing to deter it. I schedule my workouts, my meals...everything. I am like you to a certain extent...I told myself that if I'm not diligent in my efforts then I would be setting myself up for another failure. Thats whats I planted in my mind. I know that if I decide to loosen up a bite it won't effect my outcome because I've really dedicated myself this time and I'm more discipline. I know I need to lose weight in order to be healthy and to set a good example for my children. Its not about a swim suit for me. Its about being responsible for me & mine.

Those days when you feel that you shouldn't thats when you should. Push through those days. You will feel so much better because that will be a accomplishment. The1st of many NSVs.

You can do this. You just have to push yourself out of your comfort zone. If you can do that for 30 to 60 days you will be set. Really challenge yourself. Make this fat loss journey worth wild for you.

I wish you the best!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Starting to see results and an obsessive all or nothing personality.
    I wish you the very best! :flowerforyou:
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I am the same way. I have to constantly remind myself that I have to be around for my kids and remind myself how I felt the last time I went out, ashamed, fat, and tired. You have to remind yourself of the consequences and just take it one day at a time. Don't focus on tomorrow or next week just make through today and worry about today. Then tomorrow worry about tomorrow. Its overwhelming for me when I think "I can never have a brownie again!?" I can't do that it frustrates me and I really want that brownie. I would also make sure that there is nothing bad for you to eat in your house. If you have kids and a hubby tell your hubby to not bring that craop in the house or maybe if you have a garage or his own personal space he can put his sweets in. I know its hard with kids I have three so I haven't mastered how to not drool over the crap my kids eat. LOL. I hope this helps in some way. Put a smile on your face and tell yourself you can do it! Good luck!
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's interesting and I would bet a good thing to acknowledge your weakness.

Biggest thing that hangs me up is not planning my day of food and activity. If I put it in here, I am more apt to do it.

Soooo, what motivates me?

The changes in my abilities and my body. Mostly my abilities. I've never been active before in my life. Now that I am, I am finding things out about myself, i.e. strength, endurance...

Also, I tell myself that I am making myself a healthier me for my kids. I don't want to be a weak person for my children to witness. Weak in my mind or my body. If I cannot say no to food or laziness then how can I tell my kids to say no to whatever they are dealing with in their life. Be strong in mind, spirit and body. That is my goal!!! I am certainly not perfect at it.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    well, I can certainly relate to you!!! I have lost a total of 52 lbs since the birth of my son one year ago- I hope to ultimately lose another 40- we'll see. Anyway, over this past year, I have done diet after diet- started, stopped, lost 20, regained 15. Etc Etc Etc... for me, I finally realized one simple thing: It's not a diet. You have to make this your lifestyle. And, in my opinion, you can, and will go astray from time to time- you will want to take 3 days and eat that birthday cake, or go to that 4th of July BBQ, etc- the trick is this: one, don't make every single meal that day a "bad" one- treat yourself on those days- make it special. two and more importantly, even if you took 3 entire days totally off- cookies all day long along with doritos (or whatever) that fourth day, get back on track doing what you know how to do. Don't think about the damage you've done or the bad stuff- just start moving forward right then and there.

I think it is unrealistic to think you will never have "off days" or even weeks again in your entire life- just hold yourself accountable to get back on track again...It's for a lifetime, not a few months.

My trainer once said to me, "every day can't be your birthday" because I loved my food and margaritas etc- that really stuck with me and I made permanent changes.

good luck to you!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I just like feeling fitter, and get ansty if I don't do any exercise for a day.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    My motivation initially came from seeing my husband's dramatic results from eating better and going to the gym. Although he started off weighing BELOW what he should and being able to eat whatever and not gain an ounce, he was frustrated because he wasn't healthy. So watching his transformation shocked me into starting this journey back last summer. HOWEVER, it wasn't enough to keep me going. I fell of the wagon after losing 15lbs because I wasn't in it for the right reasons and I wasn't changing my lifestyle- I was seeking out this for good reasons but not the right reasons.

I started back here in January for me. I realized how bad I felt both emotionally and physically after reverting back to my old ways. I lost energy, my clothes were tighter and even though the scale only put me up 5 pounds, I felt yucky (for lack of a better term). So I started making small changes one by one. First was getting back into the gym. Then it was water. Now it's attacking a harder exercise routine. I realized I could just up and overhaul my entire life completely. I had to start small and make changes slowly that I could adjust to and that wouldn't feel like I was 'dieting'.

Now, I stay motivated because I see what all of this is doing for our family. The kids are eating better, they want to join me exercising, we go do more physical things. I have little ones (2 & 4) so I wasn't ever worried about their weight or exercise level- they are active healthy kids. But I realize now that by changing my habits, I'm setting them up for a better lifestyle as they grow. Our snacks our cheese sticks or apples with peanut butter, of course we indulge now and again. They are kids. We are human. So chips do remain in our house. Those types of things. But when I can tell that these changes I make are helping my children- it keeps me motivated. And it doesn't hurt that mommy can do airplanes and leg climbers with little boys who like to be monkeys!!

Stick with it. There are going to be good days and bad days. Sometimes bad weeks or months! It's going to happen sometimes when we let life side track us. But you can do this!!
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    I feel better after working out.
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who responded! Very inspiring & I'm happy to say I went to the grocery store & made some really great choices...ready to add in exercise again tomorrow :)
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am finding I need to prepare every morning. What's my schedule, when & what will I do for exercise, what will I make for the family for dinner, etc. I get myself in trouble when I wing it. I can also compensate accordingly if I know dinner is Lasagna or something equally destructive to daily calorie count.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have fallen off the wagon a few times and I find I just have to keep trying to get back on. It may take some time, but you will eventually get there. It may start with only a few good choices, until you eventually get back to where you want to be, but you should praise yourself for those few good choices. People make mistakes, they get discouraged... the only time this becomes a problem is when you completely give up. Sometimes taking baby steps just like you did in the beginning is the way to go.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    lots of things....

feeling more healthy
    not being the biggest of my friends
    not having to buy first class plane tickets because I want to be comfortable (i'll still buy them...but for different reasons...LOL)
    trip to Florida in June and I want to be healthier for it (and I have to wear a swimsuit)
    Dirty Girl Run in August and have to run 5km and do obstacles
    riding the two coasters at Cedar Point that my butt won't fit in right now
    having the endurance to run around the block without wanting to die.
    wanting to be able to wear the designer clothes that I sell everyday
    being able to go back to Vegas and rock it with my disgustingly hot friend and not feel like Shrek (she doesn't make me feel that way...she's awesome...it's an internal thing)
    not wearing plus sizes EVER again
    being able to run and play with my nieces and nephews

those are my motivations...in no particular order. :) all of those things combined are more important to me that one "cheat day".
  • FitCoachBecky
    Options
    I've done the same thing--lost some weight and felt GREAT about it, then I let life get in the way and it all came back. What motivates me now is helping others with their fitness. I started a fitness club at the school in which I teach and I became a fitness coach for the company Beachbody. Helping others stay motivated really helps me stay on track.
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    I think you need a goal! A point on the horizon to work towards. It can be really hard to stay motivated & stay on track without something specific you're aiming for. It could be anything - whether you want to lose a certain amount by a certain time, or maybe if you have a big event coming up you want to look your best for. Another idea is to buy yourself an outfit in a smaller size, with the aim of fitting into it. I know that really helps me!