Picky shopping list-need new ideas!!

Options
Okay, I am sending the hubby a list today to get groceries and I need help! I need ideas. I usually have the basic veggies (peppers, onions, lettuce, tomatoes) on hand, some fruits (strawberries and grapes), and get the same meat (boneless skinless chicken breast, ham steaks, pork chops, and ribeye steaks), and butter, olive oil, cheese, cottage cheese, and eggs.

I need some new ideas for making my meals. Anything-low carb. No bread, pasta, potatoes, rice. Low fat or non fat is fine but nothing with processed soy products, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, or hydrogenated oils. We don't live anywhere close to a whole foods store, so I am stuck with things from Wal-mart. Any ideas would be great!! Thanks!!

Replies

• kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Quinoa.

Sardines.

Tuna.
  • lgray2
    lgray2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about fish, like Tilapia. Its delish and there are so many ways to make it. Maybe do some roasted veg, like Broc or Cauliflower with olive oil and sea salt.
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    If you've never had spaghetti squash, you really should try it, and they sell it at walmart. There are tons of things you can do with it and its low carb/ low cal.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Cauliflower mash, Squashta - spaghetti squash with pesto and toasted pine nuts, soups....
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    wasa crackers. laughing cow lite cheese. salsa and baby carrots.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Turkey breasts

Asparagus (steamed or grilled)

Squash/Zuchini (steamed or grilled)

Carrots (steamed or grilled)
  • aburley
    aburley Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Try the Tilapia. It's wonderful!
  • funsover
    funsover Posts: 39
    Options
    Salsa is great with chicken (baked on top or mixed in with chopped up chicken)
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    fish is great. I use a pasta boat to steam mine. yum
  • Cherrycandy
    Cherrycandy Posts: 200
    Options
    Criso makes butt flavor spray for pans that is 0 cal and I love it!!! Try a stir fry with cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, yellow squash, and onions. It's to die for!!!!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Eggs, low fat shredded mozzarella, canned tomatoes, Italian seasoning.

Beat many eggs (so accurate, I know. :-D I have no clue how many you want to make) with a small amt of salt and pepper (to taste). Heat a medium non-stick frying pan (if it sticks, grease it with something sensible) on med-high. Pour about 1/8 cup of beaten egg and quickly spread around the pan. Cook for about 30 seconds and flip. Cook until fully cooked on both sides. Put on plate and repeat until you have used up your beaten eggs.

On the plate, put some of the shredded mozz in a line in the center of one of the mini-omelette things. Roll it like a taquito and place it in a 9x13 pan. Repeat until all of the mini-omelettes are used. Top with canned tomato (include the juice) and sprinkle Ital. seasoning. Bake at 350 deg F for about 15 min.

Alternatively you could get zucchini, slice it in 1/2 inch coins, cover them with tomatoes, cheese, seasoning and bake at 350 for 15 min.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Shrimp stir-fry is great!:heart:
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Tuna or any lean white fish
    SPINACH
    sweet potatos (best carb!!)
    cottage cheese (low fat)
    greek yogurt
    grapes are really high in sugar try apples, bananas, and berries(antioxidants)
    egg whites
    whole wheat pasta is good!
    and brown rice!!!!
  • donicagalek
    Options
    If you want something sweet to snack on, get some of your favorite low-cal sweetener (I'm not going to judge honey/aspartame/splenda/stevia...whatever works for you). Have hubs pick up some cinnamon and canned pumpkin (yes, the stuff you get for pie).

Put some of the pumpkin in a bowl (microwave safe) and nuke it for 20-30 seconds and then top it with cinnamon and sweetener. If you have the extra cals to spare, a small dollop of low cal Cool Whip (or generic) on top won't kill you. :-D
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Steph,

I seem to have the same problem. Your list is very similiar to mine, but here are some additions for you that may fit into your lifestyle.

Olives, Pickles, mixed nuts- (to add to salads or an afternoon snack)
    madarin oranges or nectarines
    sunflower seeds
    laughing cow cheese
    whole wheat crackers
    dijon mustard & romaine lettuce (you could make grilled chicken sandwiches with the lettuce instead of a bun) its actually good.
    Turkey or veggie burgers
    frozen or fresh fish filets
    Beans
    pigeon peas
  • donicagalek
    Options
    And you seriously need to consider making a weekly trip to Dubuque to hit up Aldi! (I'm just sayin'...) :-D
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Im sorry I cant help but to laugh at "butt flavored"
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Tempeh

It is soy, but not processed... fermented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempeh
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    And you seriously need to consider making a weekly trip to Dubuque to hit up Aldi! (I'm just sayin'...) :-D

Lol, I do go to Dubuque to Aldi, but only go once a month to stock up on certain things. It takes a lot of gas to go, and the hubby only works a block away from the Walmart in Galena, so no extra gas is used on our weekly trips to walmart. But I do like going to Aldi :)
  • sctracy
    sctracy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do you like broccoli rabe?

I make it at least a couple of times a week. We'll have grilled turkey burgers (I make the burgers with diced mushrooms, onions, & zucchini in them) and I'll saute the broccoli rabe w/ garlic in olive oil (and a little chicken broth...sometimes white wine) and I'll add canellini beans to it. Add a little grated parmesan. One of my favorite dinners! My burger is 209 calories, the broccoli rabe is about 50 per cup, and the beans are 80 calories for a half a cup.