Female, within 4 pounds of my goal weight, but fat belly!

Options
I have been doing well since I joined mfp and stay very close to my 1200 calories - within 50 either side, I exercise with running and/or P90X 4 days a week. I have pretty much lost all the weight I want to lose except this darn belly fat! I am 41 years old, weigh 125lbs, and am 5'4" tall. I have looked at previous posts on this subject and most say add more cardio, but I already do plenty. Is it the sugar (carbs)? There is so much controversy about carbs I don't know what to believe.
Do I need to just eat less fat to get rid of fat?
Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Replies

• edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Yeast... that is what my trainer told me. Carbs with yeast make your belly bloat up a bit. Could be your sugar or sodium as well.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Switch from cardio to strength training, cardio works fine to burn off fat to a point but it does not beat strength training for overall fat loss. I did this a month or so ago and have lost more fat working out 3 X week at a 45 min workout than running 5 times a week for an hour. Also cut out as much processed foods as you can.
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Oh damn. I'm the same age, height as you with a very similar weight goal. Don't tell me I'm still going to have the tyre when it's gone !!!
  • Are your core muscles tight? they can make you look pudgy if they are out of shape.
  • kirstengirl
    Options
    LOL, Mrs Muffin Tummy! That's so funny. I hope this isn't forever!!!
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear about this too. I've still got a way to go, but looking forward, I can see my belly being the hardest bit to shift.
  • LCantrell
    LCantrell Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump...I would really like more info on this too!
  • tjjotoad
    tjjotoad Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near my goal weight , but when I'm done, I hope to be about the same size as you (although I'm an inch shorter). I have been trying the Belly Fat Cure eating regimen, and so far, it's working. In a nutshell, you have to stay under 15 grams of sugar and 6 servings of carbs (serving size is 5-20carbs) per day. I only started this week, but I can feel the difference in my belly. I don't feel as bloated. I've lost two pounds but unfortunately, I didn't take my measurements so I can't verify if I've lost it from my belly.

Let me know if you find something that works!! Good luck.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    look into kettlebell swings, then added core workouts to tone (not to shed fat) and tabata thrusts.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    I have four daughters & I have never, ever been able to get rid of the "tummy pooch"! Gained almost 50 lbs. with each pregnancy - I'm 5'4" and should really weigh about 125. If you find something that works to get rid of the "flub" let me know!!:grumble:
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    Ok...you all... have to share this ONE way to get rid of belly fat and give you indentations....the beginnings of abs again!!!! IT WORKS FOR ME!!!

Shart by laying FLAT on your back... place a THIN pillow under your head, and a little bit thicker (still thin) pillow under your butt...
    Place your hands, palms down under your butt , but ontop of the pillow to support your bottom spine...

Raise your legs up as far as you can...and LOWER them SLOWLY to about 8 inches off the floor and HOLD for as long as you can... You may start at 10 seconds...but eventually you will work it up to one or two minutes!!!!

The other leg positions to do when in this laying postition....
    *bicycle....
    *cross front, cross back alternating....
    *alternating straight legs up and down, up and down...
    *both legs at the same time...up then down...

I have had back/neck surgeries and my Physical Therapist helped me with these as I am unable to do sit-ups or crunches..

I have really tightened my belly area doing these EVERY night....and am up to 2 minute hold on the first and 1 minute each of the next...and thats in a little over a month...!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]5768506.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    These wraps help with tightening skin and work really well. I've used them myself.

www.itworks.com

I lost a total of 2 1/4 inches in the first 45 min and as long as you pair it with good exercise and food you will be able to keep the inches off. Good luck!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I'm 5'3" and i'm weighing 133 today. My goal is 125. I still have such a big belly.. it really bothers me. You're not alone! Thanks for posting!
  • kirstengirl
    Options
    Well I do run for cardio and mix in cross training with weights and core work, I feel like it must be my diet. I am going to try to get rid of the "junk" processed foods. Wish me luck! :smile:
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options

lol the tyre is the only reason I'm doing this, everywhere else is reasonable(ish). If it all goes off the other bits and stays on the belly, I'll look even more preggy than I do now !!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am a Leslie Sansone fan and the has a DVD called walk your belly flat. And it's mostly cardio. At the end she shows you how to do bicycles on a yoga mat. Good Lord does that junk hurt....but I know it's reshaping my body.

Lay on the floor with your knees bent, feet flat.
    Lift on foot off the floor at a time until they.are about 90 degrees
    Lift your head up ad thou you're about to crunch, suck your belly in (engages your core)
    Alternate opposite elbow to opposite knee @ this point your knee is coming towards your chest and the elbow comes into say hi!

Do like 2 or 3 sets every other day.
    I'm telling you it hurts like the ****ens but it's working.
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ok...you all... have to share this ONE way to get rid of belly fat and give you indentations....the beginnings of abs again!!!! IT WORKS FOR ME!!!

Shart by laying FLAT on your back... place a THIN pillow under your head, and a little bit thicker (still thin) pillow under your butt...
    Place your hands, palms down under your butt , but ontop of the pillow to support your bottom spine...

Raise your legs up as far as you can...and LOWER them SLOWLY to about 8 inches off the floor and HOLD for as long as you can... You may start at 10 seconds...but eventually you will work it up to one or two minutes!!!!

The other leg positions to do when in this laying postition....
    *bicycle....
    *cross front, cross back alternating....
    *alternating straight legs up and down, up and down...
    *both legs at the same time...up then down...

I have had back/neck surgeries and my Physical Therapist helped me with these as I am unable to do sit-ups or crunches..

I have really tightened my belly area doing these EVERY night....and am up to 2 minute hold on the first and 1 minute each of the next...and thats in a little over a month...!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]5768506.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Yep! Always flattens my belly.