Lift those buttocks!!!

Options
Hi Guys!

Can someone recommend a move I can incorporate into my work out to lift my bum please?? Its getting better as I run but could use a helping hand!!

Thankyou!

Replies

• angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    squats, squats and more squats.....that is what everyone tells me....
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Squats, squats, squats! and lunges great for the booty and other areas as well. :) hope that helps!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges...and my favorite...hiking!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    SQUATS!!! I started doing them about 4 mos. ago (and with increasing weights), and my butt sits higher than it ever has now! Also, doing plyometric exercises (like lying back down on a large exercise ball, making a "table" with your body, and squeezing your cheeks) help too.
  • kelley4123
    kelley4123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    lunges and squats.... they work both thighs and *kitten*!
    lunges seem to work my inner thighs and butt well, they ache like crazy the next day!
  • KAB0
    KAB0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Squats are hard on the knees. They work great if you can do then correctly however. one more that is easy to incorporate is a backward leg lift. While standing at the kitchen counter (or anywhere), lift one legup backwards (away from the counter) be sure to keep you knee straight or nearly straight. Hold it for as long as you can up to a minute then rest, then do the other leg. Repeat in sets of 10 up to 3 times (for 30 for each leg). Dont reach too far with you leg, just until you feel the tighness starting.

The best thing about htis is you can do it anytime you are standing around (kitchen counter chopping veggies, etc ).
  • flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Stair climber, step/aerobics class, pilates, squats, lunges and backward leg lifts. Pelvic tilts too! I think that's what they are called. Lay on your back, put your feet on the floor and your arms to the side. Pick up your butt and lift and lower, then hold up as high as you can, pulse it, then lift and lower again. This will tighten those glutes! This is a controled move! No jerking or you will hurt yourself.
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7AW6WuTvL0 i found this about a week and a half ago. i have been doin it since and it seems to be working. its easy, but i can def feel it!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have a huge butt issue, lol and it's not that it's huge... far from it lol. But squats, lunges (side, reverse, regular and jumping) and climbing steps two at a time are things that have been great for me, the last month or so it's been Zumba and I can't believe how solid my but has become just from Zumba!
  • stred321
    stred321 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thankyou ladies! Squats and lunges it is!! Gah.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Walking on an incline or the stair machines (or incline trainers). That works your butt and calves. My trainer also has me doing squats and lunges holding a medicine ball for extra resistance (they're HARD). And honestly, after 3 months I really do feel much better about how my butt looks. Now if only my stomach would follow suit...
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Don't discount simple leg lifts along with those squats and lunges.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Check out Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones. I used that for a while and it made a big difference in all the trouble zones. I was amazed at the difference in just a few weeks.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Whatever one else said plus Donkey kicks. Stand up with your hands on the back of a chair and raise your leg behind you or get on the floor in table top position and raise your leg up behind you press up towards the sky. It works the glutes and thighs.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Squats are hard on the knees. They work great if you can do then correctly however.

HUH? The fact that you contradicted yourself with that statement notwithstanding, here's some myth de-bunking for you:

Myth #2: Squats are bad for the knees. Not only are squats not bad for the knees, every legitimate research study on this subject has shown that squats improve knee stability and therefore help reduce the risk of injuries. The National Strength and Conditioning Association has published an excellent position paper on this subject with an extensive literature review, and data from the Canadian National Alpine Ski Team suggests that regular squatting reduces not only the rate of injuries but also the time it takes to recuperate from injuries that do occur.

When I was hired to work with the Canadian National Women’s Volleyball Team, I found all of them suffered from varying degrees of an overuse injury called patellar tendinitis, or jumper’s knee. I believed the problem was partially caused by a structural imbalance in the lower quadriceps muscle called the vastus medialis oblique (the teardrop-shaped muscle that inserts at the knee). To correct it, I had these athletes perform Petersen step-ups and then gradually progress into full squats. Only one athlete still had jumper’s knee after less than three months of proper training.

Providing you don’t relax or bounce in the bottom position of the squat, you’ve got nothing to worry about. When you relax, the knee joint opens up slightly, exposing the connective tissue to stress levels higher than their tensile strength. Does that mean you should never pause in the bottom position? No. It simply means that if you pause in the bottom position, you must keep the muscles under tension, holding the static (isometric) contraction. In other words, don’t relax at the bottom of the squat and allow your connective tissue to stretch out like a piece of saltwater taffy.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/388/8_Stupid_Myths_about_Squatting.aspx
  • ontheskinnyroad
    ontheskinnyroad Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    downward dog: Get on all fours and extend your leg out (like you are kicking back)/point your toes downward and go up and down/then you could bend your leg at the knee and push up.

Do a set of all three on each leg its a great way to work your tush out.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7AW6WuTvL0 i found this about a week and a half ago. i have been doin it since and it seems to be working. its easy, but i can def feel it!

bump... or should I say bum!
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Squats are hard on the knees. They work great if you can do then correctly however.

HUH? The fact that you contradicted yourself with that statement notwithstanding, here's some myth de-bunking for you:

Myth #2: Squats are bad for the knees. Not only are squats not bad for the knees, every legitimate research study on this subject has shown that squats improve knee stability and therefore help reduce the risk of injuries. The National Strength and Conditioning Association has published an excellent position paper on this subject with an extensive literature review, and data from the Canadian National Alpine Ski Team suggests that regular squatting reduces not only the rate of injuries but also the time it takes to recuperate from injuries that do occur.

When I was hired to work with the Canadian National Women’s Volleyball Team, I found all of them suffered from varying degrees of an overuse injury called patellar tendinitis, or jumper’s knee. I believed the problem was partially caused by a structural imbalance in the lower quadriceps muscle called the vastus medialis oblique (the teardrop-shaped muscle that inserts at the knee). To correct it, I had these athletes perform Petersen step-ups and then gradually progress into full squats. Only one athlete still had jumper’s knee after less than three months of proper training.

Providing you don’t relax or bounce in the bottom position of the squat, you’ve got nothing to worry about. When you relax, the knee joint opens up slightly, exposing the connective tissue to stress levels higher than their tensile strength. Does that mean you should never pause in the bottom position? No. It simply means that if you pause in the bottom position, you must keep the muscles under tension, holding the static (isometric) contraction. In other words, don’t relax at the bottom of the squat and allow your connective tissue to stretch out like a piece of saltwater taffy.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/388/8_Stupid_Myths_about_Squatting.aspx

Squats have definitely helped my knees.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

I concur.
    '*kitten* to grass' is what my physical therapist constantly yelled. Dislocated knee.