How often is too often?

Options
So I was just thinking about how much everyone weighs themselves. I know at one point I had become obsessive about my weight and wanting to see what I weighed and sometimes weighing myself multiple times through the day... finally, cut back to once every few days. But I wanted to know how often everyone weighed themselves. Once a week? Around the same time everytime? Just curious because I like the structure and I'm trying to figure out a steady day to weigh myself so I'm excited about the numbers and still motivated, but not overdoing it...

Replies

• MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Once a week, every Monday morning under the same conditions: after toilet, before shower.
  • flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    MooseWizard is right. On the same day with the same conditions once a week at most. It's ok to peak sometimes halfway through the week but don't make a habit of it!
  • Lefriedline
    Lefriedline Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Wednesday morning and every Saturday morning right after I wake up and go to the bathroom...I used to be obsessive too for a while there. All day every day--even though I knew it wasn't accurate I couldn't help it! Now that I've laid off a bit I'm a lot less stressed out :)
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Saturday mornings, wearing the same thing so I can truly see how much I've lost. Sometimes I do get excited and weigh more often, but have found I'm disappointed- even if I weigh in on Friday, I don't usually see the "big change" until Saturday, so now it's just once a week!
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Once a week, every Monday morning under the same conditions: after toilet, before shower.
    Yep, me too. Also, before I eat anything...wake up, use the potty, remove clothes, and weigh myself :)
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Monday morning, after toilet, no clothes, before breakfast.
  • sharaleeb
    sharaleeb Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm also obsessive, try to only weigh in once a week but find myself sneaking on that scale sometimes every day. It does keep me motivated! I only count my weight on Wednesday mornings though, just before I step into the shower. I did try Fridays but found if I was doing really well my weekend food went to hell so that didn't work for me. I figured Wednesday was in the middle of the week and completely nonthreatening the way fridays or weekends were for me so it's been working great!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays and Fridays, post-potty, pre-eating / drinking, naked...
  • equillian
    Options
    Just got done speaking with my doc and starting this diet thing, I was told once every week or two. Also, something to note: a famale's weight fluctuates FAR more than a male. So the further apart you can do your weighins the better. I'd suggest every other week.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I was weighing every day. I learned my fluctuation patterns which really helped me. My weight jumps on the weekends then goes back down through the week. If I had a loss that week I would see it sometime between Wednesday and Friday. I only logged losses. I have lost 8 out of 10lbs.

I upped my calories to Maintenance and lost 2 of those pounds.

I started focusing on weight lifting/resistance training a few weeks ago and my weight jumped 3-4lbs overnight. It has held steady until this week and is now coming back down (and this time my belly fat is coming off - it wasn't before).

I'm no longer weighing everyday because I could see a gain as I build muscle. The number on the scale is just a number. It doesn't tell you what you are losing (diet and intense cardio cause muscle loss along with fat loss), just that you are losing something.
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    EVERY SUNDAY LIKE CLOCK WORK.....I WORK WITH A LADY THAT WEIGHS HERSELF ALL DAY EVERY DAY...A LITTLE OBSESSIVE I THINK. DONT SO MUCH WORRY ABOUT THE WEIGHT I GAUGE IT BY HOW I FEEL AND HOW MY CLOTHES ARE FITTING. :heart:
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too. Also, before I eat anything...wake up, use the potty, remove clothes, and weigh myself :)

Me too!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    More than once a week and that's pushing it.
  • AmieCrawford
    AmieCrawford Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Now that I have a scale at home, I weigh all the time :) Like 3-4 times a day, totally unhealthy for some people, but I find it very helpful in understanding what affects my body and how. It helps for me to see that 3-4 lbs can be lost and gained throughout the day and recognize each bite I take in how it will affect my body. My thinking has completely changed and my eating habits now reflect it... I am a little obsessive though.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Twice a week- Monday and Friday, both first thing in the morning. The reason I do this twice during the week is because I want to determine A) how my cheat meal affected my weight over the weekend and B) how 5 days of eating clean affected me as well.
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    Every 2-3 wks for me. We tend to become a bit to obsessive with the scale. I rely mostly on the measuring tape and my clothes and of course looking in the mirror. The scale can be very deceiving and causes a lot of headache, aggravation and frustration and stress, which can also hinder weight loss. It's calming for me not to pay attention to it. I'm not in a race to the finish line for my weight loss. Slow and steady wins the race. ~smile
  • cokpara
    cokpara Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    wow, i appreciate everyone's feedback. saw some responses on not weighing right before the weekend... yup, i know how that self-sabotage goes so i avoided doing it then. also, i'm aware of the weight that can be gained after resistance training so i avoid that altogether bc that's not weight that i wanna look at negatively. so i'm thinking since i start a workout week on sunday and go through friday with an active recovery day somewhere inbetween, i'll weigh myself on monday morning, before bfast, naked, after the morning bathroom run and bc i get a sick stomach when i eat before i workout, it should be a pretty accurate reading. also someone mentioned every other week... contemplating that as well.. so monday morning it is! thank you all so much.
  • feliciapeters
    Options

I USED to do the same. I'm in a challenge on MFP and that weigh day is Thursday & I weigh less on Thursday so thats my new day LOL
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I will do it in the morning as soon as I wake upe and before I get in the shower, no clothes! I try and not weigh myself more thatn twice a week, but when I dont see a weight loss i do it almost every day til I see a drop
  • Balishdear
    Options
    I was doing it every day, but I like the idea of the above users doing it twice a week better.