Frozen fruit?

Options
Does anybody know if frozen fruit is ok? I have never gotten it before I usually stick to fresh but I feel like I'm buying fruit every week. I only get groceries once a month so I'd like to have it last me until then!

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I use it. Frozen fruits and veggies are fine. They are usually frozen not long after being picked. Much better than canned.

But they do lose some of their sweetness.
  • tinaharrison1
    Options
    Just make sure that they aren't sweetened ..... unless you want the added calories
  • sharaleeb
    sharaleeb Posts: 32
    Options
    Frozen fruit and veggies are great when you want them to last! I use them in smoothies and also thaw and use in my cereal or just to snack! Plus frozen over canned means less sodium!!
  • roberbro
    roberbro Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this site, and to trying to maintain a clean diet. So, for what it's worth, I generally buy a mix of fresh and frozen fruit. I just make sure that I buy frozen fruit without any added sugar. I've been buying a huge bag of mixed frozen fruit at Walmart that has mango, pinapple, peaches and strawberries. I've also been buying a bag of frozen blackberries to mix in with it, and I have to admit that a big bowl of this frozen fruit sweetened with Splenda as dessert for lunch every day has become something that I anticipate--much the same way that I used to anticipate a big bowl of strawberry ice cream. I like to eat it still in a semi frozen state, so it seems less like eating fruit and more like eating something I'd rather be eating. :)
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Does anybody happen to have a good healthy recipe for smoothies? I have never made one but I do love smoothies!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I only buy it frozen, usually frozen berries. They are great for smoothies because they really make them thick! As others have noted, just watch to make sure it's only fruit, and not fuit in some sort of sugar syrup.

I use 8oz skim milk
    1 C frozen berries
    1 scoop protein powder

You can also use plain or vanilla yogurt instead of milk, and 1/2 cup cottage cheese in place of protein powder. You may need to sweeten that a bit though.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm a big frozen fruit fan.
    Cherries, strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, mango, raspberries.

I use them in my Greek yogurt, on top of my oatmeal and also for my protein shakes.

Making smoothies is super easy and the skies the limit when it comes to making them.
    I use ...
    1 cup almond milk (I also make them using coconut water as the liquid instead of the milk)
    1 scoop protein powder, plain & unsweetened
    1 cup of frozen fruit
    1/2 banana
    1 T flaxseed

Some people add some ice and blend but I find that the frozen fruit is enough to make things nice and chilled.
    You can also add some baby spinach to the mix. You won't taste it but you'll reap the added benefits.