Flax oil and dry eyes

Options
Becky1971
Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
This is sort of a long story for a simple question but I'm really frustrated and just need to vent.

I knew I had dry eyes cause I have never been able to make contacts work for me, and my old eye doctor told me I had chronic dry eyes a few years ago. This year I went to a different doctor, she prescribed me new glasses, so for about two weeks I struggled with blurriness, and had headaches, itching and burning by the end of the day, it seemed I couldn't get use to them. SO I went in for a recheck, she asked if I was taking my drops, I said "what drops". Apparently she meant to give me drops and tell me to take them cause my eyes were so dry. Okay, so for two more weeks I take drops 3-4 times a day and 3 flax oil capsules a day, and then went in for another check up today. The drops are helping, but the blurriness is still there. I told her my eyes feel all day long like they do when you cross your eyes. I also told her that when working int he classrooms I get a bad headache, light headed and nauseous. She told me that my prescription is correct, and that I'm seeing clearly so she doesn't know what to tell me. She was really rude and awful. It just doesn't make sense to me, why did I start having a problem after I got my new glasses, the headache and blurriness and all. Anyhow, she said she doesn't know what I want her to do, she said she could change my prescription to not be so strong, but I won't be seeing clearly, and I thought why would we do that when I could just wear my older ones and get a refund. Besides, I'm not seeing clearly now with the new glasses anyways. Anyhow, yeah I started crying. I'm not a difficult patient, I don't make demands or anything, I'm just telling what I'm experiencing. It is frustrating when I get the feeling that they think I'm just a nusence trying to question intelligence, and they show no sensitivity or nothing. She just could have helped me figure something out, gave me some options whatever, instead she just wanted to be done with me. So I asked for a refund, and I think that irritated her more.

Anyhow, I plan to increase on the flax oil, I just wanted to take it slow in adjusting. But I was wondering if anyone has had dry eyes, and has tried Flax oil to help, if it made a difference, if increasing to 6 instead of three will help with dry eyes. I guess, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this at all?

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anything like that....I hope you are able to figure it out.....I probably would've blown up at that lady....I can't really tolerate rude people...
  • Becky1971
    Options
    I've never heard of anything like that....I hope you are able to figure it out.....I probably would've blown up at that lady....I can't really tolerate rude people...

Thats almost never my reaction... I guess it's my confidence, it's easy for me to feel like it's all in my head... maybe cause thats what I heard growing up so much and as a young adult. Thanks for your reply though, and LOVE your signature!
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    i dont' deal with dry eyes,... but i do deal with occular rosacea. I had a dr recommend 4000mg of fish oils daily for that and when I'm good and take it ( it's a lot to get in during the day) my eyes are much less irrirated.

i would recommend a second opinion
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm an ophthalmic nurse so thought I may be able to offer you some advice?? I would maybe suggest you try some regular eye drops for dry eyes to lubricate them well, like 6 times daily. Also you could try some hot compress on the lids (has to be hotter than skin temperature though to melt the oil in the lids and make your tears better quality). One of my patients recommended fish oil capsules as working really well for her dry eyes. I've not heard of using flax oil I have to say but not saying it won't work. If your glasses are wrong then you should demand a refund and go elsewhere!!!
    Hope this is helpful, let me know if I can clarify anything for you :)
  • aehenson
    aehenson Posts: 86
    Options
    Also - if you take antihistamines it makes your dry eyes worse. I have struggled with that!
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    The eye doc is the one that told me to do the oil capsules, and I see it on the internet too, but not much info is given about it as far as what I have read so far. My mom had to have tubes put into her tear ducts, I asked if there was a genetic aspect, the eye doc said that it's a small part. We did change our heat from baseboard which didn't really heat our house, to gas forced air, and I'm certain thats part of what has made them worse enough, but still we did that in January, why would they just start bothering me this much a month ago when I got new ones? I do plan to go back to my original doc, he's REALLY good, and my children still see him. I don't have insurance, so thats why I went to a different doc. I have worn glasses most my life, so have been through adjusting to new ones many times. The only thing different is that I am almost at the point of bifocals, it's not bad enough yet so no prescription for it is available. But even if this is my problem, why would I start having it bother me this bad when I got my new glasses? I guess thats what confuses me so much is the timing. Anyways, I will try the compresses too. I just hate the drops, I hate putting them in, and then they goop up in my lashes and everything, lol. I really don't like this getting old stuff, I feel like I have been falling apart the last couple of years, and especially the last six months. lol
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Also - if you take antihistamines it makes your dry eyes worse. I have struggled with that!

I never take those unless I have an extreme case of hives. But caffeine does it too me too, I know that, and I have been back to having a small one everyday, for a few months now, so I have been wanting to quit. But the caffeine has come and gone, periods of a lot more, or less, and the dry eye has never bothered me, except when trying to adjust to contacts. I use to be on meds, and thought for sure when I quit them about five years ago, that the dryness would go away.. I was wrong. :(

I definitely think I should deal with the dry eye stuff before going to the eye doctor again though.
  • sullyboo
    Options
    There is also the possibility of reduced oestrogen, I know you are a bit young but menopausal ladies are more prone to dry eyes as their is a reduction in the oestrogen levels, and in turn this leads to reduced secretions. I don't know it its available in the US but there is a drop called Systane which the manufactures claim can be put in just 3 times daily as it forms a "mesh" which traps the tears in the eye.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have dry eyes and elevated eye pressure and I take both drops (Restasis) and Flax Seed Oil.
    First, let me encourage you to keep trying different docs until you find one who will work with you and is not rude, (You're paying them, for heaven's sake!!)
    Second, I wonder if your "eye doc" is an optometrist or an opthamologist. I used to see an optometrist and when my eyes were dry and red all the time and I had to take drops for my high eye pressure. But that "doc's" strategy was to wait until my eye exam next year and see if it's better. I was not willing to spend a year with sore eyes. But he was not willing to give me a referral to an opthamologist, telling me that "he believes he can serve my eye health needs." So, without a referral, I just called the most reputable opthamologist office and in my most polite voice explained my situation to the receptionist. She was willing to talk to the doc. A couple of days later she called me back and said that the doc was willing to take me as a patient even though I didn't have a referral.

The opthamologist did a full blown eye test. She then put me on Restasis, a drop for dry eyes, and on Flax Seed Oil. I take 4 caplets a day - 2 in the morning and 2 at dinner. She also had me continue over the counter drops for dry eye, but she had me switch to a preservative free version. I take Systane, preservative free, throughout the day.

She also said that the redness in my eyes was caused, in part, by my high pressure. The drops that I was taking for the high eye pressure were causing some of the redness. She scheduled me for a laser surgery to reduce the pressure in my eyes so that I could get off the drops. This laser surgery does not correct vision, it just reduces pressure.

So now I"m off the drops for high eye pressure. I still take Restasis for dry eye and flax seed oil for dry eye, and I still use Systane Preservative Free during the day.

By the way, I wear gas permeable contact lenses.

I really hope you can get the help you need. Don't give up. And DO go see an OPTHAMOLOGIST (sp?) rather than an optomatrist. (sp?)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    There is also the possibility of reduced oestrogen, I know you are a bit young but menopausal ladies are more prone to dry eyes as their is a reduction in the oestrogen levels, and in turn this leads to reduced secretions. I don't know it its available in the US but there is a drop called Systane which the manufactures claim can be put in just 3 times daily as it forms a "mesh" which traps the tears in the eye.

I am in the US and was recently given Systane by my doctor, it seems to really be helping my eye. Although my doctor isnt really sure what is wrong with my eye. I looked at wal mart and saw it there too, more expensive than visine but not horrible either.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    My previous optometrist overcorrected my prescription contact lenses and I struggled with headaches and nausea for a year before I switched doctors. He bumped me back down and it helped after a couple of weeks. It may be the correct prescription when you're sitting in the chair, but it's obviously too high for what you're used to. I would see if there was an in-between step for the prescription.

I also have dry eyes, but I haven't done anything for them beyond the prescription drops and switching contact lens solution.
  • sullyboo
    Options
    "She also said that the redness in my eyes was caused, in part, by my high pressure. The drops that I was taking for the high eye pressure were causing some of the redness. She scheduled me for a laser surgery to reduce the pressure in my eyes so that I could get off the drops. This laser surgery does not correct vision, it just reduces pressure. "

Its amazing how different it is in the US......don't think our eye docs would laser to save you having the side effects of drops!! Well not without trying different drops first. But at least is brings the pressure down and is much more convenient than drops every day isnt it.

I think I will start recommending flax seed oil for my patients, but better do a bit of my own research first I guess.
  • sullyboo
    Options
    And definately see an ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist if you aren't getting the care or answers you deserve.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've got dry eyes so I know how bad they can be, but rest assured you are not alone (as the posts on this forum attest).

Definitely agree that you should try an ophthalmologist, but really you need one that specializes in Dry Eye and those can be hard to find.

Here's one of the best resources and communities for Dry Eye. It's been very helpful over the past few years for me.
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forum.php

Flax can be helpful, or any Omega 3 (fish oil, Chia seeds).

I certainly recommend Dr. Latkany's book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Eye-Remedy-Complete-Restoring/dp/1578262429

Good luck!
  • mowrynation
    Options
    The dry air from the new heat may be a small part of it, but you are right, it should have showed up sooner than now. Have you been drinking enough water?? I have been drinking lots the last few days for sure.

I believe that you are correct in requesting a refund. There must have been something wrong with the glasses.
    My FIRST experience with glasses, back in stone age , the techinicians put the lenses in the wrong sides! I didn't know any better at least my parents and the doctor's thought, after all it was my first pair and you have to "get used to them". Well after nearly tossing up my lunch and almost falling down, they decided that something might be a little off. Yeah.. it was MUCH better when they put them in the correct sides. And I only have a low prescription and an astigmatism.

Anyway sounds like your other doctor will be the best choice. I have been going to the same eye doctor for decades!

All the Best Becky
  • Becky1971
    Options

Thats what the doctor has me using is Systane.

I have wanted to get my hormones checked for a couple three years now, but I don't have insurance. I was planning on it this May when I turn 40 because the office I go to has a program that helps pay for female exams after 40. I had to go in a couple months ago, because of apparent gluten intolerance and finding I had yeast infection for months and didn't even know it. (I think everything is about perimenopause now, and that I am just going to have to deal with it) but when she examined me she found a cervical polyp (which from what I read can be caused by an imbalance of estrogen too) and so we had to go ahead and do the pap and all. Anyways, so now I can't go in for all that for a couple years. I'm really frustrated with everything right now, I finished school in December and thought I would be working regularly now, and have insurance and if not insurance then certainly enough money to be able to take care of all these needs I have.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Thank you! I do know this doc is a new one, she's young and all, I also know that the doc my kids go who I was seeing for years when I had coverage is a fantastic doctore, they do a lot more testing, and he spends a lot more time with the patient checking things.

Isn't the puff of air test for checking on pressure? so that should tell if the pressure is a problem right?
    I have dry eyes and elevated eye pressure and I take both drops (Restasis) and Flax Seed Oil.
    First, let me encourage you to keep trying different docs until you find one who will work with you and is not rude, (You're paying them, for heaven's sake!!)
    Second, I wonder if your "eye doc" is an optometrist or an opthamologist. I used to see an optometrist and when my eyes were dry and red all the time and I had to take drops for my high eye pressure. But that "doc's" strategy was to wait until my eye exam next year and see if it's better. I was not willing to spend a year with sore eyes. But he was not willing to give me a referral to an opthamologist, telling me that "he believes he can serve my eye health needs." So, without a referral, I just called the most reputable opthamologist office and in my most polite voice explained my situation to the receptionist. She was willing to talk to the doc. A couple of days later she called me back and said that the doc was willing to take me as a patient even though I didn't have a referral.

The opthamologist did a full blown eye test. She then put me on Restasis, a drop for dry eyes, and on Flax Seed Oil. I take 4 caplets a day - 2 in the morning and 2 at dinner. She also had me continue over the counter drops for dry eye, but she had me switch to a preservative free version. I take Systane, preservative free, throughout the day.

She also said that the redness in my eyes was caused, in part, by my high pressure. The drops that I was taking for the high eye pressure were causing some of the redness. She scheduled me for a laser surgery to reduce the pressure in my eyes so that I could get off the drops. This laser surgery does not correct vision, it just reduces pressure.

So now I"m off the drops for high eye pressure. I still take Restasis for dry eye and flax seed oil for dry eye, and I still use Systane Preservative Free during the day.

By the way, I wear gas permeable contact lenses.

I really hope you can get the help you need. Don't give up. And DO go see an OPTHAMOLOGIST (sp?) rather than an optomatrist. (sp?)
  • Becky1971
    Options
    My previous optometrist overcorrected my prescription contact lenses and I struggled with headaches and nausea for a year before I switched doctors. He bumped me back down and it helped after a couple of weeks. It may be the correct prescription when you're sitting in the chair, but it's obviously too high for what you're used to. I would see if there was an in-between step for the prescription.

I also have dry eyes, but I haven't done anything for them beyond the prescription drops and switching contact lens solution.

They kept telling me that my prescription was right, they checked it. Then today she said she finally got a 20/20 on my right eye, which she wasn't able to do both times before, so thats from the drops helping I guess. I guess maybe that was going to be a possible fix, but she just wasn't very clear, she wasn't saying much, wouldn't that make me need a different prescription? All she said she could do was drop it down, but I wouldn't be seeing as clearly. I think she really didn't want to acknowledge any mistakes, and thus wasn't very open with me. Which just frustrates me, cause I don't care if there is a mistake, or anything, just be willing help me get it figured out. Anyhow, It's too late now as I refunded them, and really don't want to go back to her.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Thanks so much for the resources I will check them out when I get back from the beach this weekend! I remember a friend who had dry eyes all through school, her eyes were red constantly, so I just didn't think mine were so bad.but I do know that it's very hard to get them to tear up if I get something in my eye.
    I've got dry eyes so I know how bad they can be, but rest assured you are not alone (as the posts on this forum attest).

Definitely agree that you should try an ophthalmologist, but really you need one that specializes in Dry Eye and those can be hard to find.

Here's one of the best resources and communities for Dry Eye. It's been very helpful over the past few years for me.
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forum.php

Flax can be helpful, or any Omega 3 (fish oil, Chia seeds).

I certainly recommend Dr. Latkany's book.

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Eye-Remedy-Complete-Restoring/dp/1578262429

Good luck!
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Yes, usually I have 10 to 12 cups of water every day, sometimes 14.
    Thats exactly what I thought, maybe they got my lenses mixed up, or something, but I guess they check all that first before doing a recheck.
    The dry air from the new heat may be a small part of it, but you are right, it should have showed up sooner than now. Have you been drinking enough water?? I have been drinking lots the last few days for sure.

I believe that you are correct in requesting a refund. There must have been something wrong with the glasses.
    My FIRST experience with glasses, back in stone age , the techinicians put the lenses in the wrong sides! I didn't know any better at least my parents and the doctor's thought, after all it was my first pair and you have to "get used to them". Well after nearly tossing up my lunch and almost falling down, they decided that something might be a little off. Yeah.. it was MUCH better when they put them in the correct sides. And I only have a low prescription and an astigmatism.

Anyway sounds like your other doctor will be the best choice. I have been going to the same eye doctor for decades!

All the Best Becky