What time of day should i run?

Options
Morning or Evening ?- if its morning should i do it before or after breakfast? if its evening should i do it before or after dinner?

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    The time that's going to be easiest and most comfortable in terms of your schedule. Really. Debating over which is better is like plucking a hair from your scalp and trying to split it in half.

I'm generally not a fan of fasted exercise.
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run in the early morning. Its cooler and there are less people and traffic about. You should choose when it works best for your time schedule. Try different times and see what works!
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I do most of my running/cardio in the morning. It supposedly burns more fat but on top of that it wakes you up for the day and gets you going. A lot of people who work at night have problems sleeping because their energy is up. If you have a choice, I would do morning. But I know some people have to work out when they can due to their schedule.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Any time you are going to actually do it is the right time.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I run whenever it fits into my schedule, but in the AM I usually do my shorter runs (Less than 45 min) because I dislike eating before I run (personal preferance- NO science there- just makes me sick). If I am going to workout for closer to an hour or more, its either mid morning on the weekend, or after work (both times when I've had a meal, and likely a snack). Longer than an hour and 15 min, I also have a mid workout snack (gummies!)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I do mine after work, but before supper.

Find it a necessary stress relief.
  • britt_fit
    britt_fit Posts: 169
    Options
    Whenever you can get yourself to do it. After years of trying to force myself to be a morning runner, I've accepted the fact that I'm not a morning person. Sure, I'll wake up early for races, but not for just a run. Work with when you feel more energized. I love running after dinner. Just make sure you have some food in you before you run or you'll burn out and you won't be able to get the most out of your workout.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Whenever it fits your schedule. I find it more pleasant to run in the morning. You don't have all the pollution and pollen floating in the air as much-the morning cool helps keep it all down. Plus, if you run first thing, you'll less likely cut it out of your daily routine! Something always comes up!! Just keep in mind the hottest times of the day and try to avoid those, unless you're inside. And most importantly--keep hydrated!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    During the warmer months when I can go outside, I run in the morning. If I eat, it's something small like a vitatop or snack bar.

This time of year when I'm stuck on the treadmill, I run right after work, before dinner.

I can't exercise with much food in my stomach as it makes me feel sick.
    321k Posts: 19
    Options
    Whenever you can get yourself to do it. After years of trying to force myself to be a morning runner, I've accepted the fact that I'm not a morning person. Sure, I'll wake up early for races, but not for just a run. Work with when you feel more energized. I love running after dinner. Just make sure you have some food in you before you run or you'll burn out and you won't be able to get the most out of your workout.

same i like the idea of running in the morning but when it gets to when i have to wake up an actually do it it's just impossible for me so i do it in the evenings before dinner but i have a banana before so im not running on an empty stomach