Salmon and Tilapia

Options
Can anyone please give me some good healthy salmon recipies..I am NOT a fish lover (unless its fried with hot sauce) but my April challenge for myself is to only eat seafood or veggies for my dinner meal, really to try to knock out all of the red meat from my diet. I know fish is good for you so I'm going there..anything would be helpful

Replies

• LOVINALLOFME
    LOVINALLOFME Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Salmon and Tilapia! I can eat fish all day everyday!

I cooked them both pretty much the same way.

Tilapia I like to bake or broil with Mrs. Dash lemon pepper seasoning with a couple slices of butter (your choice) with about a Tablespoon of lemon juice spreaded over 2 pieces. Sometimes I add fresh slices of garlic and onions for flavor. Really good!

Salmon I like to do the same thing with. Sometimes I do pan sear it with a little olive oil with the same seasoning but I add garlic powder as well (I love garlic).

Try them both and see how you like it. You really cant go wrong with Salmon and Tilapia.
  • tilsgurl
    tilsgurl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've made this and my family really enjoyed it. The recipe is from AllRecipes.com. I only bake the tilapia for about 15 or 20 minutes because they are very thin.

Ingredients
    4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
    4 cloves crushed garlic
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions
    Rub the fish fillets with the crushed garlic, then place them in a shallow, non-reactive dish. Spoon the olive oil over the fish until they are coated. Place the onion on top of the fish. Cover the fish and refrigerate overnight to allow the fish to soak in the marinade.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

If baking the fish, transfer it to a 9x13 inch baking dish along with the olive oil, garlic, and onion. Sprinkle the fish with the cayenne or white pepper. If you are grilling the fish, wrap the fish and oil, garlic, onion, and pepper in aluminum foil.
    Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees F) for 30 minutes.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 217 | Total Fat: 11.7g | Cholesterol: 41mg
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Mix some fat free mayonaisse and parmesan cheese together, spread over the tilapia before baking - really yummy! Also, you can make a simple dill sauce to put over the salmon after it is baked or broiled.
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My salmon recipe is very simple, Iit could be used for talapia or any firm fish. Lay your fish on a large piece of aluminum foil, sprinkle with any seasonings you like (lemon pepper, salmon seasoning, season salt, Ms. Dash). Place a small amount of margerine or butter if you you want, just so it can melt on the fish. Place a slice or two of lemon on the top. Now fold the foil around the fish, creating a "tent" so there is room to steam. I like to place mine on the grill for about 10 minutes but you could do it in the oven on a cookie sheet. Cook just long enough so the fish is firm and flaky--try not to overcook. You can squeeze some more lemon juice on it before eating if you like. This is really the only way I prepare my salmon, tastes great!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Take some tilapia and sprinkle it with paprika, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder, then bake it until it's done (usually 350 for about 12 minutes)... meanwhile, take some alfredo sauce (I typically use 1/4c per person, but it;s up to you) and eat it with some fresh minced garlic and a little butter... pour it over the tilapia after it's cooked. I typically serve this with brown rice. My boyfriend and I LOVE this and it's so quick and easy! Usually ends up being about 350 calories per tilapia filet, depending on how much alfredo and butter you use.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    this is from prevention and one of my favorite recipes!

Skillet Tilapia with Black Beans and Kale

Prep Time: 10 mins
    Cook Time: 18 mins
    Total Time: 28 mins
    Serves: 2

Ingredients

2 tbsp chopped red onion
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
    1 C chopped kale leaves
    1/2 C rinsed and drained canned black beans
    2 5 oz tilapia fillets

For garnish: paprika and 2 lemon wedges

Directions

1. In a skillet, combine onion, oil, fennel, and salt to taste. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add kale and stir to coat with seasonings. Cook until kale starts to wilt, about 2 minutes. Stir in beans. Set tilapia on mixture. Dust lightly with paprika.
    2. Cover and cook until tilapia is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve with lemon.

Nutritional Facts per serving
    CALORIES 270.1 CAL
    FAT 9.8 G
    SATURATED FAT 1.8 G
    SODIUM 392.2 MG
    CARBOHYDRATES 14.9 G
    TOTAL SUGARS 0.9 G
    DIETARY FIBER 4.8 G
    PROTEIN 33.4 G
  • SerenaP82
    SerenaP82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For Salmon I but the fillet in a sheet of foil and pour some low-cal or fat free Italian dressing on it. Fold the foil up like a pouch with the salmon inside and bake.

For Tilapia I bake it in the Italian or southwest stewed tomatoes from the can.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Take a salmon filet, leave skin on but make sure its been scaled. Take a sharp knife and make a couple slits in the fish. In food processor mix butter and fresh basil. Stuff basil butter in slits and cook over your fav veggies in oven for 20 min at like 400. Cooking time will vary based off of weight of fish.
  • regentin
    regentin Posts: 60
    Options
    We just had an AWESOME salmon recipe last night...parmesan baked salmon...here's the recipe:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/parmesan-baked-salmon-75528.aspx

I love that it's quick, easy and you will likely have most of the ingredients on hand!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of salmon, I always bake it, I do not add anymore fat to it, as it already had a lot. i do add, a some lemon juice, chipotle seasoning and herb seasoning. So gooooooooood!
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to make Talapia is to sprinkle 1T of Andy's cajun seafood seasoning on both sides of the fish and bake it at 400 for 5 min.-flip it over and bake it 5 more min. Its spicy and so yummy!!!
  • aljernon
    aljernon Posts: 6
    Options
    So many great ideas already.. I will just add that I very often nuke the salmon instead of baking/pan searing. I get 6-7oz individual portions and they take about 3mins to cook and always turn out moist and flaky. Tilapia can be done in 1.5mins some times. I put the fish in a corning glass container w/lid not all the on. When the buzzer goes off, I take it out, seal the lid and let it finish cooking/keep warm while I complete the rest of the meal.

Never fails me!
  • rdonald711
    rdonald711 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone that gave great ideas, I am going to put them to use over the course of the month and hopefully I'll learn to love it and it will remain a family staple.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Pistachio-crusted salmon cakes (You can use almonds or other nuts instead if you want).
    1- 1/4 pounds salmon fillets
    1 egg (or egg white)
    1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon grated lime peel
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 cup coarsly ground pistachios (You can use less)

1. In large skillet, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat, add fillets and poach, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from pan and cool slightly.
    2.In large bowl combine the egg, bread crumbs, mustard, lime peel and pepper. Shred salmon with two forks, fold into bread crumb mixture. Shape in to eight patties. Coat both sides with pistachios.
    3. Lightly spray pan with cooking spray, cook patties for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden. Makes 4 servings. You can also bake them for 15-25 minutes at 350 degrees.