How much cardio?

Options
I hate running outside, but I can run all day on a tredmill? My trainer is closed on the weekeds, but I really want to work out! So, this means running outside. How long do you have to "run" or have your heart rate up to actually make it worth while?

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb I've always heard is 20-30 minutes of cardio for heart health. I have to laugh though because I'm just the opposite - I can run outside all day - but for about 5 minutes on a treadmill......

I can walk all day on the treadmill as long as I have a tv in front of me, but running, forget it, has to be outside.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    i agree with epj78. I just went for a run in the pouring rain at lunch - I was completely soaked....still preferable to a DREADmill :) I think I've also heard something about a minimun of 30 minutes of cardio....
  • SDLester
    SDLester Posts: 24
    Options
    I personally do not feel like I have had a cardio work out unless I do at least 45 minutes on the Elliptical Trainer. A lot depends on how long you have been working out...I have been going to gyms most of my adult life on a regular basis.