Does stress stall weight loss?

Options
Last week was hell for me. I have been dealing with some serious personal issues and as a result had absolutely no appetite. Needless to say, I ate extremely little. The only comfort I found was when I'd go for long slow runs by myself.

I thought AT LEAST I'd have lost a couple pounds over the course of the week - kind of a consolation prize for the crap I've been going through. But when I stepped on the scale this morning, it didn't budge. What gives?

Does stress prevent you from losing weight, even when you aren't eating and are moving lots?

Replies

• absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    YES.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Yes it can aparently, something to do with cortisol (or is it corticol) levels...not sure which but can remember reading about it.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    YES.

And I've had a week like that too!! Last week and this week. I've had to PUSH myself to eat, and just mainly eating high-calorie foods like peanut butter/breads/rice/etc. to get my calories up. I just don't have the time to eat right now!

(ok really, I *do* have time to eat, but I just forget... I'm too focused on this take-home exam that's 50% of my class grade!)
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! Although some people (not me) forget to eat when they are stressed and tend to lose weight . . . wish I had that problem!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It can, yes. There are a lot of factors that can stall weight loss, and one of those is not sleeping enough, eating enough, and stress of course. Your body is thinking, "Uh oh, this stress means war and famine, I'm hanging onto the fat!" Bodies are kinda simple that way.

You'll do better next week. In the meantime, get a massage, get some sleep, take a hot bath, and have some dark chocolate! :)
  • Akayen
    Akayen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cortisol is released during stress as a short-term protective mechanism for your body to retain water/salt, transform carbs into sugar/fats, and breaks down protein.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this info. I've been wondering if the stress of the last few days and not being able to sleep well is causing a stall.
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    yes and lack of sleep as well