How much do i need to burn to lose......

Options
2.3-2.5 kgs a week.(i think its around 5-5.5 pounds) i only want to do this for a short time. (before anyone tells me its not safe) 8 weeks in total. i need the extra motivation, and im doing a community weightloss challenge.

so currently am having 1230 calories a day, with a BMR of 1746. im am currently 108.3kg, female, and 159 cms tall. so how do i work out how many more calories i need to burn with exercise to hit my goal.

if i can reach my goal, at the end of the 8 weeks i would have lost a lotal of over 30 kgs (66 pounds i think)

Replies

• StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StabR80
    Options
    8 weeks at 5lbs a week would be 40lbs lost......:indifferent:
  • icandoityesican2
    Options
    wow that is unsafe and if possible your skin will be saggy... :/
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I have just tried to work it out, but I am literally rubbish at math, I came up with about 13000cals a week. Can't be right that surely. I need someonee to come and answer this now and put me out of my misery :D
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    not sure about the math or conversions between kg & lbs, but there is 3500 calories per pound.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    You may lose that many pounds but it wont all be fat. A large portion of it will be muscle causing "skinny fat"

and you will go into starvation mode, hurting your metabolism and stalling your weight loss
    or if your net goes too low you can lose hair and such too

stick to the normal weight loss
  • Salli098
    Salli098 Posts: 7
    Options
    i was adding on what ive already lost as well.:wink:

as to losing weight quickly, i dont know about anywhere else, but in Australia, if your majorly overweight, the Drs say it is safe to lose a larger amount each week, plus i onyl want to do it for a short time, andwill go back to normal weightloss after that.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Did you gain 30 kgs in 6 weeks? Then why would it make sense to you that should lose 30 kgs in six weeks?

You know it’s unhealthy, that’s why you have asked that no one point it out to you. If you hate your body enough to do the metabolic damage that extremely rapid weight-loss results in, I am saddened. But I am not going to do math for you or endorse it.
  • StabR80
    Options
    not sure about the math or conversions between kg & lbs, but there is 3500 calories per pound.
    well if want to lose 5 lbs a week then you would have to burn 17500 a week............every week..... ( I am just guessing I am by no meansan expert lol) hmmm well, good luck with that.
  • Salli098
    Salli098 Posts: 7
    Options
    oh i should add, that ive already lost weight, so im trying to lose 18.3 kgs in the 8 weeks. and no i didnt gain it in 8 weeks, but i need a short burst to get my motivation back.
  • travishein
    Options
    i keep hearing something about 3500 calories to the pound.
    so mathematically,

2.4 Kg ~ 5 lbs (sorry I think in pounds for some reason, odd because I live in Canada right :) ) per week.
    omg, 8 weeks total, so 5 * 8 = 40 lbs (18.14 Kg) total anticipated weight loss.

i don't like to think in terms of single day or weekly boundaries, because the body works continuously right.

so, 40 lbs * 3500 calories = 140,000 calories

so you would need a calorie delta of 140,000 calories to lose 40 lbs in 8 weeks. (mathematically)

8 weeks = 56 days, 140,000 ÷56 ~ 2,500 calorie delta per day (every day for 8 weeks).

so if your input is 1,250 calories per day, and your BMR is 1,746 (what you burn if you just did normal stuffs)

then, 2,500 - 1,250 - 1,746 = -496

Hrm, so according to my maths, you actually need to eat about 496 calories more per day, because as it is now in 8 weeks you would have a calorie delta of 167,776 calories, or about 47.9 lbs (21.7 Kg) total weight loss.

So that's good you can eat about 1900 calories a day and easily be within this range of weight loss per week, without doing any exercise. - lucky :)

I currently weigh around 255 lbs, trying to lose 2 lbs per week, my BMR is about 2,300 calories, so I 'try' to eat about 1,800 calories per day to get the 2 lbs per week. However, I frequently eat up to 3,000 calories per day, but, I exercise about every day, running, walking, pushing the boys in the stroller. so I earn 1,200 to 2,000 calories per day in exercise credits. So then the maths work out for 3,000 - (1,200 to 2,000) = 1,000 to 1,800 calories per day. So I get to eat more, usually not have to consider or stress over things, or feel bad when i go over, and also I am not *constantly* distracted by always thinking about work. Because when I eat only 1,800 calories per day, that's less than 600 calories per meal right. I'm a big guy, a MEAT eater, and really feel that kind of shakey weak and de-energized when i eat so little like that. But, when I exercise, I feel Super Awesome!!. I get a lot of cardio, and the blood pumping, and that all works to increase my muscle mass too, which helps to increase my BMR, which makes it easier over time to lose weight faster too right. But also I like my new strength, can pick up the boys easier too. And it only takes me about an hour each day, which counts as quality family time, or when the kids go to bed early, i appreciate the quiet alone time to collect my thoughts.

So I would say, that your NET calories should be around 1,500 calories, puts you nicely in your goal to lose that much weight. BUT, you should do it by offsetting the calories you eat with a bunch of exercise, instead of just eating tiny tiny amounts of food and not exercising at all. Er, are you exercising that is ?
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    as to losing weight quickly, i dont know about anywhere else, but in Australia, if your majorly overweight, the Drs say it is safe to lose a larger amount each week

Perhaps, but even then, they're talking about folks who are morbidly obese, and under the watchful eye of their doctor during this time. One pound a week is safe, but at greater BMI measures (in the obese range), you can maybe go to 2.0-2.5 pounds a week, and that's about it!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    i was adding on what ive already lost as well.:wink:

as to losing weight quickly, i dont know about anywhere else, but in Australia, if your majorly overweight, the Drs say it is safe to lose a larger amount each week, plus i onyl want to do it for a short time, andwill go back to normal weightloss after that.

8 weeks isnt a short time though. And if you were to burn huge amounts of calories and consume little, you would be crash dieting and we all know that doesnt work.

Like I said in my other post, there are other side effects and none of them are pretty. Muscle and hair loss doesnt look good on anyone and sure isnt healthy
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    its going to be really hard to to go back to 'normal weight loss' after something like that.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    66 pounds in 8 weeks? Why?
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    i keep hearing something about 3500 calories to the pound.
    so mathematically,

2.4 Kg ~ 5 lbs (sorry I think in pounds for some reason, odd because I live in Canada right :) ) per week.
    omg, 8 weeks total, so 5 * 8 = 40 lbs (18.14 Kg) total anticipated weight loss.

i don't like to think in terms of single day or weekly boundaries, because the body works continuously right.

so, 40 lbs * 3500 calories = 140,000 calories

so you would need a calorie delta of 140,000 calories to lose 40 lbs in 8 weeks. (mathematically)

8 weeks = 56 days, 140,000 ÷56 ~ 2,500 calorie delta per day (every day for 8 weeks).

so if your input is 1,250 calories per day, and your BMR is 1,746 (what you burn if you just did normal stuffs)

then, 2,500 - 1,250 - 1,746 = -496

Hrm, so according to my maths, you actually need to eat about 496 calories more per day, because as it is now in 8 weeks you would have a calorie delta of 167,776 calories, or about 47.9 lbs (21.7 Kg) total weight loss.

Hmmm, that math doesn't quite work out.:

If you have a a BMR of 1746 kcals and your are consuming 1250 kcals, your deficit is 1250-1746=-496 or a deficit of 496 calories each day (assuming this "BMR" actually includes sedentary activity). That is no where near your calculated needed deficit of 2,500 kcals/day. If you ate nothing at all you would still not have a large enough deficit to make 2,500 kcals/day without a lot of additional exercise! (in fact, the deficit would be 1746 kcals until your metabolism adapted to the starvation)

I didn't check your other math, but quite frankly if your daily deficit calculation is right ,this is one of those ",You can't get there from here" situations.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i am honestly horrified that you'd want to lose 5 pounds a week, and this is just for a community weightloss challenge? i find your situation very saddening. you are willing to go to extreme measures to go through a quick fix, throw your body and metabolism into a horrid mess-- and mainly for a prize and a boost in motivation. i guess for you, the end justifies the means, no matter what the cost. that's your decision but i definitely don't support it. i hope that one day you will realize that there is no quick fix to weight loss and that you will adopt some healthy habits and perspectives that you can maintain for the long haul.
  • sbchasin
    sbchasin Posts: 14
    Options
    2.3-2.5 kgs a week.(i think its around 5-5.5 pounds) i only want to do this for a short time. (before anyone tells me its not safe) 8 weeks in total. i need the extra motivation, and im doing a community weightloss challenge.

so currently am having 1230 calories a day, with a BMR of 1746. im am currently 108.3kg, female, and 159 cms tall. so how do i work out how many more calories i need to burn with exercise to hit my goal.

if i can reach my goal, at the end of the 8 weeks i would have lost a lotal of over 30 kgs (66 pounds i think)

For that type of extreme weight loss, your best bet for health and safety would be to coordinate with your primary care physician, and utilize a physician controlled and monitored liquid diet. Common one here in states is Opti-Fast.

I don't know if you will hit the 40 pounds you want to drop but you should come close.

At that extreme level of loss, you REALLY should be supervised by a physician.
  • travishein
    Options
    yea. doh... i meesed up the maths..

not minus the food intake,

it should be deficit need plus the food intake minus the BMR.

2,500 + 1,250 - 1,746 = 2004 calories.

which is technically not possible to do with just calories alone. e.g. eating absolutely nothing at all you only get the burn from BMR, most in theory possible to lose per day is 1746. Unless can increase BMR somehow thru exercise. but then yea, the starvation mode kicking in and the BMR goes down pretty fast then you gain weight from water retention, just before you die and such. :)

For me, to burn 2000 calories takes me about a 10 mile run, or about two hours. But I can't do that every day. at best every second day, but I also eat about 4000 calories per day when i do that, so my net calorie intake is then still about 2000, which is slightly less than my BMR value, for 1.8 lbs per week loss.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    It is possible to lose that much weight in that amount of time. I lost roughly 50-60lbs in about 8 weeks without trying, but it took a HUGE increase in my activity level. I went from working in an office (sitting at a desk all day) and rarely exercising to waiting tables (12+ hour shifts) 5 or 6 days a week. Being on my feet 12+ hours a day, walking around almost none stop during that time and carrying trays of food too, I could not have eaten as many calories as I was burning during the day if I tried, and I shudder to think of how many calories I was eating during the day ( I lived off of the food where I was working and it was NOT healthy food). I kept the weight off for a couple of years, but once I got another office job I gained most of the weight back in a few years (probably because I kept eating like I did when I was waiting tables). But my guess is that unless you have the time to exercise that many hours a day it is going to be next to impossible to lose that much weight that quickly.