Too much protein!!! Gah!

Options
MrsFarrow
MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
So I seem to habitually go over on protein. I guess I just eat high protein foods? I'm going to make it a point to watch, because it's crazy! Has this happened to anyone? I thought I would go over on fat, not protein! Weird!

Replies

• Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Too much protein isn't a bad thing, unless it's in absurd amounts (which I highly doubt). Much better than going over fat or carbs :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    2 questions

what is your weight? *EDIT* I see it's 190, so your goal would be something around 95g protein (less is ok, too!)

what is your protein set to?

if your protein is set to whatever MFP chose for you, then it is probably WAY too low. Many people follow the idea of your body weight, cut in half, in grams of protein.

My example: I weigh 150. Half of that is 75. So I should aim for 75g of protein a day. Lately I have been getting about 90g a day, and that is a little too much, but since I have been doing weight work and exercises regularly, I think I will be ok.

Protein is so important. It helps your muscles repair after use and it is very tough to have 'too much' protein.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    You can never have too much protein. Seriously. Watch your sodium, sugar and fat and don't worry about the rest! :)
  • Kaylalovewell
    Options
    i agree with everyone else, going over on protein isn't bad, i do it every day! it also helps keep you full longer!
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just finished my log for the day and had 256 g or protein today. I've been averaging at least 200g a day for a couple of weeks and I'm loosing weight and gaining muscle. As long as you're not over on your calories, drinking lots of water (protein is tough on the kidneys so you need to keep them flushed out) and getting enough calcium (protein can leach calcium from the bones) your fine - in fact it'll be better for lean muscle gain and fat loss.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you guys make me feel better about it! I started eating meat because I didn't think I was getting enough, and when I found I was going over I was like AAAAAH REALLY? But yeah, that makes sense. It's set to 48 right now. Weird! Thanks so much everyone! I love how positive everyone is!
  • rileymax07
    rileymax07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If your protein is set to whatever MFP chose for you, then it is probably WAY too low. You can change the setting... I did.
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Protein is the only thing I go over on...almost every day!
    Your body needs it for muscle repair so I would not fret...:)
    We are in the same "weight class"...friend me if you would like