healthy snacks....?

Options
ok so i decided to clean out my whole pantry and refrigerator because it was full of junk food ad i have a 7yr old daughter and a 4 yr old son which were too used to eating all that stuff so today im going grocery shopping and need a little help as to what is healthy snacks for them they just tried apple slices with peanut butter and they loved it! if you moms out there can help me out i will apreciate it forever i need them to adjust to healthy eating! thanks! :-)

Replies

• Nettie512
    Nettie512 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, I was gonna suggest celery & peanut butter, but looks like you have the right idea!!
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    while back in college my nutrition professor said she gets her kids to eat veggies by putting it in front of them while they watch tv with some low fat ranch or hummus. they ate it all up and asked for more!
    home made trail mix....pretzels, nuts, seeds, craisins.....
    roasted chickpeas (my personal fave, may be they'll like it)
    celery with peanut butter
    light pop corn
    homemade fro yo....mix up greek yogurt with whatever berries, may be some chocolate chips and freeze in dixie cups.
    homemade/or bought (watch the sugar) frozen pops...taking natural juice and freezing it for them to enjoy as a snack
    light cheese and crackers..laughing cow spread for example.

Hope this helps!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bananas
    Orange wedges
    Plain greek yogurt with fruit and/or nuts and/or kashi cereal
    Celery with laughing cow or low fat cream cheese in the groove
    Summer treat: make smoothies (yogurt, oj concentrate, fruit) and freeze in a popsicle mold
    GORP (good old raisins and peanuts)
    CRAP (craisins, raisins, and peanuts)
    Home made chex mix (use low fat margarine)
    Carrot sticks with hummus as a dip
    grape tomatoes
    grapes
    melon chunks
    pretzels (better than chips)
  • Marisela233
    Marisela233 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks so much their some really good ideas but now another question LOL what in the world is hummus?? ive never heard of it before!!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    thanks so much their some really good ideas but now another question LOL what in the world is hummus?? ive never heard of it before!!

It is a spread made with Chick Peas. You can get a recipe and make it or buy it. My favorite is Sabra Spinach and Artichoke hummus. They have it at Walmart next to the deli in the section where the fresh walmart pizzas are....
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a Middle East spread made from cooked mashed chickpeas. I know it doesn't sound appealing but it is yummy!!!
    My three kids (now teens) have loved it since they were toddlers. (Full disclosure, my picky husband says he hates it, but I doubt he's ever actually tried it.)
    Its kind of like frito lay bean dip, but creamier and not quite a beany tasting.
    You can get it in lots of different flavors ... garlic, roasted pepper, etc, or plain.
    You can find it in the deli section of the grocer.
  • Marisela233
    Marisela233 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a Middle East spread made from cooked mashed chickpeas. I know it doesn't sound appealing but it is yummy!!!
    My three kids (now teens) have loved it since they were toddlers. (Full disclosure, my picky husband says he hates it, but I doubt he's ever actually tried it.)
    Its kind of like frito lay bean dip, but creamier and not quite a beany tasting.
    You can get it in lots of different flavors ... garlic, roasted pepper, etc, or plain.
    You can find it in the deli section of the grocer.
    ohhh wow lol my husband is THE worst i cleaned out all the junk food and when he came home from work hes like weres the chips and soda!? lol but i really need to get all of them adjusted. ok so im going to look for the hummus i really want to try it and since u say its kind of like the bean dip (my husbands favorite) im hoping he'll like it! thanks
  • leviandgarettsmom
    Options
    Put Go-Gurts in the freezer to make frozen yogurt pops.