anyone want to help me figure this out??

Options
So I really feel like I am doing soooo well with eating and exercising but yet the scale just isn't budging. I was wondering if some of you could take a look at my diary and make any recommendations.

The one thing I'm having trouble with that I know of is keeping my sugar in check, but i'm not over by a TON either so I don't think it's that. I am NOT giving up that's for sure! I've had lots of success in the past so I just don't understand what the problem is.

Please help!

Replies

• Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to eat more protein?
  • monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options
    i looked at your diary and it looks good... i dont know why you wouldnt be losing weight... the only thing i can think of is if you dont have that much to lose it just might be taking longer... sorry i dont have a better answer
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    What is your height / weight / age? If you know your body fat (or estimate) that would be helpful too.
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    Protein...and...I personally haven't been eating all my exercise calories back. Are you just in a plateau?
    Your sodium is within range but your highest intake...and are you drinking 8@8oz cups of water?
  • kimberly2578
    Options
    5'6", 172.6, 30 years old......body fat is 34% :(

I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I don't eat ANYTHING that I don't log. I keep thinking that I'm not eating enough calories but I'm having trouble eating more calories but yet still keeping my fat, sugar and sodium in check. Like today I decided to eat 1800 calories since I burned off 500 by exercising. I'll see in a couple of days if that does anything. If not, maybe I will keep raising my calorie intake by 100 each day?? Also I have a better HRM on its way so I can see if I'm actually burning off the amount of calories that I think I am.
  • gp79
    Options
    I ran your numbers using the Katch McArdle method which I suppose is a little more accurate than the other two methods if you can closely estimate (or know) your body fat percentage. Here's what I came up with for you..

Height: 66"
    Weight: 173 lbs
    Body Fat%: 34%
    Lean Body Mass: 114 lbs
    Fat Mass: 59 lbs

BMR: 1491 k/cal
    BRM Adjusted for Sedentary lifestyle: 1789 k/cal
    BRM Adjusted for 1-3 days of light exercise per week: 2050 k/cal
    BRM Adjusted for 3-5 days of moderate exercise per week: 2311 k/cal

- If your activity level is sedentary, to lose one lb, your caloric intake should be in the neighborhood of 1289 k/cal.

- If your activity level is 1-3 days of light exercise per week, to lose one lb your caloric intake should be in the neighborhood of 1550 k/cal

- If your activity level is 3-5 days of moderate exercise per week, to lose one lb your caloric intake should be in the neighborhood of 1811 k/cal.

Macronutrient breakdown. I'll just assume you workout 1-3 days per week for this, and you're goal is to lose one lb per week.
    A macronutrient ratio of 50/30/20 (carbs/protein/fat) you would look to consume about

1550 k/Cal per day
    172 g of Carbohydrates
    116 g of protein (your goal is 114g. 1g for every lb of lean body mass from above)
    34 g of fat

Where to get these from?

Carbs (Complex Carbohydrates)- Baked Potato, sweet potato, Quinoa, Oats, Whole Grain Products (make sure Whole Grains is the actual ingredient..some companies are tricky and add enriched flours), Wild Rice, Brown Rice, Vegetables, Lentils, Black/Kidney/Garbanzo Beans. Fruits are great but don't go crazy on them...simple carbohydrates.

Protein - Poultry, Fish, Red Meat (all lean cuts), Tuna, Salmon, Soy Beans, Vegetables, Greek Yogurt, Low Fat Cottage, Eggs, Cheese, certain dairy, Almond milk, supplements (there are some wonderful protein powder supplements available.

Fats - Avocado, Oil, Canola/Olive Oils, Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans and their nut butters, Tahini, Eggs, Granola, Roquerfort/Cheshire/Monterey Jack/Meunster Cheeses, Margarines without Hydrogenated Oils, flax seed oil/seeds/ground. Remember, these items will be high calorie, so watch your intake. All of these fats listed are ones you want, not the saturated fats.

If sugar is something you want to cut back on, swap that yogurt to a greek yogurt which will cut the sugar and up the protein. Also, that strawberry shortcake bar must have a replacement available that offers better nutritional value.
  • kimberly2578
    Options
    okay, so the strawberry shortcake bar was just a fluke. lol Not something I normally eat but I did treat myself this afternoon. I actually work out 5-6 days/week plus I am just very active all day long anyway. I would like to try some greek yogurt. I looked for it at walmart the other day but they didn't carry any of the large tubs just some smaller ones.

So basically what it comes down to is that I'm probably not eating enough. Which seems crazy because my diary already looks so long compared to others that I have looked at.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me figure this out. I really appreciate it!
  • gp79
    Options
    Remember, those are estimations. I wouldn't stress too much if they are not exact. Also, you may have a preference in your macronutrient ratio which would change the numbers all together. Personally I find the 50/30/20 or the 40/40/20 to work best for me. They are two common ratios.

I think you probably workout with a HRM, like I do. I usually set myself up as having a Sedentary lifestyle (resulting in a lower BRM on paper) and then I add calories based off of my workouts / HRM which results in eating some additional calories on my workout days. It basically comes down to a pre and post workout shake or meal of some sort.
  • kimberly2578
    Options
    Also, are eggs considered a good fat? I actually had 4 hard boiled eggs today but it increased my fat by 18 grams. Should I just stick to tuna, chicken and fish for my protein so I don't get alot of fat with it?
  • gp79
    Options
    My diaries get pretty long because I log everything. At the end of each meal I look at MFP and make sure that my carbs protein fat and calories seem balanced. If they are not, I balance them by eating something more.
  • gp79
    Options
    I think there are some good fats in eggs, but they (yolks) are high in cholesterol so I don't use them for fat intake. I'll sometimes drop one whole raw egg in a protein shake or have one whole egg and 3 whites scrambled.
  • SexyInASizeSix
    Options
    I looked at your diet, it may be the processed food (i.e. salt contents) mixed with the sugar. I would just continue to eat lean cuts of meat, fresh fruits and vegs and plenty of water. Lay off the bread, crackers and rice a little, the carbs could be what your body uses to gain weight.

xoxo - Nikkilynn