stress.stress.stress.

Options
Lately, my job has been stressing me out way more than I can handle.
I work part time at a jumphouse place for little kids. Sounds fun, huh?
No, it hasn't been much fun at all for the past few months.
My manager blames me for a lot of things going wrong, when it is not even my fault.
My job makes me feel like I am never good enough. I have been working this job for over 15 months now
and I feel that my boss only expects perfection.
I'm not perfect.
My boss only looks for things that go wrong, and doesn't complement our staff as
much as we deserve.
I am also a full time college student majoring in Nursing. This is my last semester of prerequisites
until I can apply for nursing programs.
I have struggled with depression for about five years now.
Being told how I can always do better constantly does not help much when my depression moods switch on.
I know that stress plays a major role of the effects of the body, especially maintaining a healthy weight.
I am currently looking for a new job, so hopefully I can get an interview soon.
I just want to feel appreciated for what I do and feel proud of who I am.

Does anyone have any stress-relieving techniques that can possibly help me out?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I have a VERY stressful full time job and I am taking graduate classes full time as well so I hear you on the stress stuff. I do yoga once a week and it makes me feel GREAT! I highly recommend it. I also write a blog and whenever i'm feeling down about anything, i'll read my old entries and see how far i've come.

I hope you get a new job VERY soon and I'm so sorry that your boss is negative to you. You are beautiful and should not accept negativity!
  • vnmw121212
    vnmw121212 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Dude 1st of all **** HIM! Your boss is a douche! I can understand wanting things to be better and expecting the best out of your employees but there is a better way to acheieve this without blaming and making your staff hate you.

Secondly, don't let the stress of your job affect your schooling, I know the nursing program at my school is crazy hard to get into, so you need to focus on school. Bounse house wont support you in the future, your nursing degree will.

Last but not least, make sure you take care of your mental state. If your mind checks out all these other things wont really mean a whole lot.

Maybe you can find another job? Check with employment services at yours school they may be able to help.

Stay strong and I'm here for you girl!
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yoga works awesome for me and burns lots of calories! Also meditation and deep breathing throughout the day! Breathing deep just while driving, try to fill your tummy all the way up slowly breathing in through your nose and then out your mouth slowly ;)

Edited to say: I also get a massage, find a college or somewhere cheaper where there are students if it is too expensive for you. Your body being all tight from stress, will increase it ten fold :) Good luck and remember to breathe!
  • jsoaper01
    jsoaper01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just left a very stressful job as a social worker. Stress can affect some much in your life. Take time for yourself and set good boundaries.
  • tlschlp
    tlschlp Posts: 54
    Options
    My stress reliever is my iPod and a 30-60 minute walk! Usually a "power" walk! I get my stress out and workout, too! Plus, it gets me away from my stress (read: children). I used to have a stressful full-time job (have different job now, less stressful due to boss) and I used my lunchtimes to take a walk away from the office and get my head back on straight.

Keep your chin up!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Seconded on yoga. Or any kind of exhausting physical activity... BJJ, muay thai, sparring, boxing, etc. Something that wears you out.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Deep breathing exercise-
    1. Breath normal for a minute while paying close attention to your rhythm.
    2. Exhale slowly, expelling as much air as possible even if it seems uncomfortable.
    3. Inhale slowly, taking in as much air as possible. You should feel your stomach and ribs expand unnaturally large.
    4. Hold your breath for just a second.
    5. Exhale slowly, returning to your normal rhythm.

That works for when you need to chill right now, when you get home you can wack something with a bat.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My stress reliever is my iPod and a 30-60 minute walk! Usually a "power" walk! I get my stress out and workout, too! Plus, it gets me away from my stress (read: children). I used to have a stressful full-time job (have different job now, less stressful due to boss) and I used my lunchtimes to take a walk away from the office and get my head back on straight.

Keep your chin up!

Walking is also what works for me - the Boss is my biggest stress causer!! I walk during my lunch hour - I don't have the iPod, but it would be nice!! My hour of walking is my time to empty my mind and just concentrate on nature & the scenery - even if it's just in the neighborhood!!

My other stress reliever is to lock myself in the bathroom for a nice long soak in the tub - with some relaxing music.
    My family knows that only in dire emergency is anyone allowed to bang on the B-room door!! LOL (Dire emergencies have to involve someone bleeding :) Just kidding!!

I do believe stress is a big impediment to weight loss!!
  • linzanne5
    linzanne5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been battling depression for the last few years as well. I have found it very helpful to write my thoughts down in the evening in a journal. This way I get the negative things out of my head before I go to sleep and that way I don't lay there with everything rolling around! I also find it very useful to "stomp" on things that bothered me for the day jogging on the treadmill. Maybe that sounds a little strange but if something really pissed me off at work I stomp it out! My job is very stressful as well. It really affects your whole life when you don't enjoy going to work. You dread going, you get upset while your there, and then you come home and are just in a mood from your crappy day at work. Then you get to do it all over again the next day! Hopefully you can find something to help :)