Want to be a hot mama!

Options
Hi Everyone! This is so new to me and I have never done anything like this before, so I feel a bit out of sorts. HOWEVER, I am so ready to have my body, confidence, life back that I am willing to try anything and could really use a support system. I gave birth to my second child 6 mths ago and still have 20 lbs to lose. It may not seem like much to some, but I have cut my calories down to 1500-1200 for the past month now and have seen little as far as results. I am beginning to become frustrated and could really use some advice. Today I tried to eat more like 800 calories and received the warning that my body will enter starvation mode. How can I lose weight if my metabolism is non-existent? I will admit I HATE working out, mostly b/c I don't have the time for it. I average about 3-4hrs of sleep each night between my 2yr old and 6mth old and work. My husband is a physician assistant and works long hours 8am-11pm, leaving me on my own most of the time.

Wow, I have done absolutely nothing but complain this entire post...sorry about that! I am really just looking for words of advice, encouragement, wisdom. I really want to feel sexy and confident again, to have my body back and be a good role model to my girls. I could really use a friend!

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You can do it if you really want it. There are lots of inspirational people on this site. I'm not one one of them, sadly, but at least I have a positive attitude.
  • aaronjarvis
    aaronjarvis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Be accountable! That's the key. Exercise is a part of it. and I admit I'm bad at it lately. Find someone that will help motivate you. Keep each other going. The calorie counting is definitely an eye opener. It really makes you think more, before eating something you might regret.

Anything is possible. The first step is committing yourself. and the things you hate most (exercise) are usually the things that make the most difference. Just commit & figure out a way to go for it. Good luck!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is a great site. Lots of good folks here that are in your corner. Lots of great advice as well.

Good luck to you. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • marrero210
    marrero210 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    are you a nursing mom? That would also make a difference in the amount of calories you need to intake in order lose weigh successfully.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You will love this site -- there are very knowledgable and supportive people. I have learned alot so far!
  • McBoBo
    McBoBo Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi & Welcome =) My second and last baby just turned a year old...and I did IVF with her so enter allllll the extra hormones to add to being overweight....fast foward a year and I've lost ALMOST 50 lbs...and I gotta say ( you may not want to hear it) you are going to have to some sort of regular physical activity IMO. I think diet alone can only carry you so far...and I think it would work more when the body has more to lose. There are a lot of great things you can do at home or at the gym or outside. My kids LOVE going to the gym..I started taking them there when my daughter was 4 months old. Find a DVD at home..take a Zumba class or Cardio Dance..something to get your heart up and build muscle as that's (from what I've been told and learned) how your body will burn fat. LOTS of folks on hear have had sucess with Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred...I'm about 1/3 thru and I've lost 3+ inches! Best wishes to you :) Feel free to friend me if you need support. Also--eating 3 meals and two snacks will help with your metabolism as well as drinking a lot of water.
  • gamecockmama
    Options
    I can completely relate to you! When I started my "weight loss journey" two years ago, my children were 2 years old and 3 months old. My husband is a nurse and he also works long days (12 hour shifts), so I basically had to train my kids on how to act when I exercise! I have an elliptical and loads of workout DVDs that I use, so I would get my 2 year old (he's now 4) involved in some kind of activity while I worked out. I put my 3 month old (who is now 2) in his jumperoo and let him bounce it out while I worked out. I would only work out for 30 minutes a day at first because I knew the kids wouldn't be able to handle much more than that. Now that they are a little older they play together (hallelujah!) and do a really good job of entertaining themselves while I exercise!

Just be prepared to stop a lot at first. Like I said, I really had to TRAIN my kids to let me workout! It was really important to me, though, and I really like that I'm setting that kind of example for them. The way I see it, they pretty much get all my attention all day, so it's not going to hurt them to entertain themselves for 30 minutes so I can take care of ME...which will in turn help me take better care of them :) Even now there are times when I will have to pause my workout to intervene in an argument or to refill their juice or something, but I'm still getting my workout in. And PLEASE don't limit yourself to 800 calories a day - it's not enough! Really use the calorie suggestions on this website and try to meet them everyday while also incorporating exercise. Just don't give up and work your way up to a full workout (whatever that may be for you), and your kids will adjust and it will become a part of their routine too! Good luck!

Oh, btw, PLEASE friend me if you would like some support! I know how much it helps to have someone in your corner! :)
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from! I am also a busy mom of a 1 and 3 yr. old so I know how you feel. I just started watching what I eat in Feb. and lost 5 lbs. then I have lost 8 just in March (5 of them since joining this site!) What really is helping me lose more quickly is a work-out from Jillian Michaels called the 30 Day Shred...it's only a 20 minute workout but it's intense and burns around 246 calories. It has 3 levels and I am still on level one but it's a great way to get a quick workout in and burn a lot of calories for the short amt. of time you are doing it.
    Logging everything you eat is also a great idea. Some days with me working out it says I have 400 calories left for the day, but if I don't feel hungry why make myself eat? As long as you don't eat that few every day I don't think you have to worry about your body going into "starvation mode." Good luck!!! I too am hoping to be a "hot mama" SOON!!!! :laugh:
  • m4ukcats
    m4ukcats Posts: 11
    Options
    I am thinking that if you don't exercise, you have to eat around 1200 pretty consistently. I am only basing this on the fact that you only need to lose 20 lbs, but I don't know your current weight. Also, I don't know if you are breastfeeding which changes that calorie count. If possible, join a gym that has daycare, and use it. I have never really liked working out either, but I was praying that I would get "addicted" to it, and I did within a few weeks. I had to exercise 5 days a week to get addicted though. Just going here and there a couple days a week wasn't enough of a routine for me. I would want to blow it off the next time I was planning to go. Now, if I don't exercise, I feel like I let myself down. That may not sound healthy, but it's exactly the motivation I need. I have never been motivated to lose weight until now, but I have wanted to for years. I have 4 children aged 2-9, so I know exactly what you are going through. So, it's taken me 2 years since having my 4th child to get the motivation to do something. I commend you for wanting to do this now.

About the calories (assuming you're not nursing), 1200 really sounds low, but you will get used to it quicker than you think. It's really not bad at all. I do go over some days because I exercise a lot. Pizza buffet on the weekends sometimes. Oh yes, you can eat some wonderful things if you exercise! The thing is, I have enjoyed myself some weekends, but on Monday, I am back in business with that 1200 cal. goal. I mostly save my exercise calories for the weekends. Also, I got some of the foods I craved out of my system. I no longer buy a McDonald's sweet tea everyday. I don't even like the taste of them now! I've lost 15 lbs. in 8 weeks, so it seems to be okay so far.