"Please write for nutrition information"

Options
JigglyPig
JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
Um, are you kidding me? Please WRITE for nutrition information?? It's 2011. First of all, put it online at least. Second of all, put it on the packaging!

I was at a gas station today, and I wanted something to eat. I was checking different items, and one of them did not list nutrition information on the packaging. Instead it said, "please write to __________ for nutritional information." Ha thanks for helping me NOT buy your product.

Also - what's up with restaurants that don't post their nutrition information online? All that does for me, as the consumer, is steer me away from your restaurant. I'd rather not put in the hard research...and just go somewhere else!

Replies

• AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    I so don't blame you for not getting that item! It would make me think it has a ton of AWFUL stuff in it. Omg and I'm with you on restaurants not putting info online. I hate when I have to google it and then I get a bunch of different numbers and pretty much have to guess at what I'm eating. It's like just put it up online!!
  • armywife1986
    Options
    I totally understand!!! I love this place called GiGi's Cupcakes, so I asked about nutrition facts on their facebook wall. They replied saying that I needed to email the corporate company... sooo.... I hunted down the email address, composed/sent it, waited 2 days to get a reply back saying that they don't have nutrition facts available b/c, legally, they do not need to be available to the public until there are 50 or more stores. Since they only had 36, they were still "working" on it! Seriously?!
  • JigglyPig
    Options
    Hahaha ridiculous!

It's frustrating!

But I DO see why small businesses like GiGi's might have that problem. I'm guessing it costs a lot of money to send samples of your food to a lab to be tested for nutrition, etc.
    Good for you for taking all that time to write to them! It shows how dedicated you are to make sure you know what you're eating! (:
  • loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    That was actually on a container of Dole Mandarin Oranges I bought at our Sundry at work this morning. I was able to adjust the size of one listed here to get the amount. It was ridiculous though.
  • armywife1986
    Options
    Hahaha ridiculous!

It's frustrating!

But I DO see why small businesses like GiGi's might have that problem. I'm guessing it costs a lot of money to send samples of your food to a lab to be tested for nutrition, etc.
    Good for you for taking all that time to write to them! It shows how dedicated you are to make sure you know what you're eating! (:

awwww, thanks!! Bad part is, I think I have to bid farewell to them for now ): It was my new found love. Oh well. I have VitaTops for now, LOL.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think the providing nutritional information should be a must for any size company. Its not that hard to calculate calories for something you know the ingredients to. I just dont eat anywhere I cant get nutritional information.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    MN is working on a law to require ALL restaurants to post nutritional info!! How long it will take to get there... who knows... still awesome though!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    They don't have to send off samples to get the caloric values. It can all be calculated by knowing the ingredients and amounts of used. They don't do it because their business will be successful without it. Until more of us get DEMANDING about wanting that nutritional info OR until it is put into law that they have to provide it, most of them just won't do it.

I ate at Logan's Restaurant a few weeks ago and tried to order light (impromptu visits like this is RARE for me...I nearly always plan beforehand). I attempted to look up the nutritional info on their website when I got home and they don't offer it. I was really surprised and disappointed! So I wrote them a letter explaining that until they provide nutritional info I will NOT visit their restaurant again.

This is my game plan. I refuse to eat at establishments that don't offer the courtesy of nutritional information. Hopefully soon, they will be required by law to provide it.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Now that's funny. They want consumers to work to get their nutritional info? That means that whatever it was probably had something unfavorable in its ingredients like trans fat, gunpowder, or battery acid.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I wish that any of the restaurants where I live had online nutritional info, but it's a small town (2500 people small) and we only have about 10 restaurants only 1 or 2 of which even have websites. I usually just find something similar from another restaurant and figure it's probably close. I don't eat out very often anyway, so if I'm off a little I don't worry about it.

On the bright side, you could burn off a few extra calories writing to them and mailing the letter to get the nutritional info ;-)
  • JigglyPig
    Options
    It definitely should be a law!