Back to normal BP

Options
jhoney8
jhoney8 Posts: 43 Member
So, about a year ago I went to the dr and found put that my blood pressure was considered too high to be on regular hormonal birth control. I had never had high BP before and was convinced it was nerves...until I tested it several more times and it was still high. The dr told me that I needed to go have a consult to go on BP meds. I resisted because I am not a fan of meds, but it was a real wake up call.

After starting on MFP, I wanted to see what would happen with my BP. I want to be healthy and strong and was convinced being more fit would solve this problem. It turns out that I was right. After 2.5 months of working out and being smart about food choices I have lost 23 lbs and, more importantly, my BP is normal! I have a ways to go, but it's milestones like these that keep me motivated and let me know that this is a necessary process in improving (and lengthening) my life. :)

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congratulations!

One of my goals is to get OFF bp meds. When it started getting high, I worked out and lost about 15 lbs and it went back down to normal. Then I let it go all to hell and here I am. It's gotta stop.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am very much in support of treating problems with lifestyle changes instead of medications. Sounds like that's exactly what you did.......good for you!
  • kmturtle3
    kmturtle3 Posts: 556
    Options
    Awesome job! That really is the stuff that counts the most... one of the biggest reasons I started on here was because I have high blood pressure and high cholestoral and I'm 27 - eek! I'm waiting 6 months to get bloodwork done again (so that will be in June), but I'm hopeful for the same results as you. Congrats!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    That's great! Good for you! I'm hoping to get off of my BP meds, but so far, it hasn't worked that way for me. I check in with my MD again in May. It's scary that 90% of adults end up having HBP...
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a huge success. I got motivated to start getting in better shape for pretty much the same reason. I was pre-hypertensive and my doctor warned me of the consequences. Now I've lost just over 60 pounds and my BP tested normal this last year. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to know that you're healthier because of your own choices?

Best wishes for continued success.
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was on BP medication last year. I lost 30 pounds and more importantly changed my diet since then. I am no longer on the medication. Keep up the good fight. It can be done.
  • tungaiunwa
    tungaiunwa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i def. want off bp meds so you are a great inspiration
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!