Why Butter is Better

Options
13»

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    More of the same, how anyone can buy into the idea that something made in a lab is better for you than something made by nature is beyond me.

Bcuz the FDA said it is safe and the American Heart Association endorses it because saturated fats are the devil........ :devil: :devil:
  • Grokette
    Options
    I had made a breakfast sandwich this morning and put a little vegetable spread (similar to Country Crock) on my bread. I then went to rinse the knife off that I used and that stuff DID NOT BUDGE from the knife until the water got really hot. I said to myself, "Why are you putting that in your body?" I use butter to bake with and I think I'm going to switch to it for everything. Will whipped butter have the same benefits? Do you know? Thanks for posting!

No, whipped butter is just butter made from the cream that is whipped to make it lighter and easier to spread............

Imagine what that Country Crock is doing to your arteries.................... <<shudders to think about it>>
  • TonyTrinch
    Options
    Switched to real butter years ago, unfortunately that didn't help my weight because I ate everything drenched in it. The butter wasn't the problem, my eating habits were the problem. The reason I made the switch was because I was a heifer eating everything drenched in that artificial "butter spread." Neither one of them helped me when I ate like that.

Why do I still eat butter instead of the fake stuff, even though now I'm trying to lose weight? Because when I made that switch several years ago I read an article about fake butter not being eaten by bugs, so I put a small plate of real butter and a small plate of the fake stuff outside for a week. Not only was the real stuff attracting all kinds of bugs, but was melting and had started to grow some mold. The fake stuff was still in the same exact shape I'd cut it in and there wasn't a bug in sight and not even a tiny speck of mold on it. The worse that happened to it, there was some beads of water that had formed as it started to separate from the warmth outside, but never fully did.

Regardless of anything I've ever read or ever WILL read, my experience taught me, that was NOT something I wanted in my body. No lobbyist for any side was on my back porch, just the natural elements and if natural elements can't break something down, why should I expect my body to?

As for the cholesterol issue, when my doc told me my cholesterol was to high, we examined my diet and HE told me to cut waaay down on the amount of butter I was consuming. Funny thing is...he didn't say cut it out or switch to fake stuff, he lectured me on healthy eating habits and portion control.

Being a good little binge eater, or course I never went back to him again, the nerve of him! (hehe) Now that I'm eating healthier I have gone back to his suggestions in addition to my own experiences. The awesome thing is, anyone can try that same experiment themselves. Put some tub "butter spread" outside for a week and see what happens to it. Then decide for yourself if you want that stuff in your body.
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the idea of eating whole, natural foods, but I disagree that butter is a natural food for humans. To take the milk of another species, which is intended for their young, and then churn it to separate out the fat from that milk, is quite unnatural. We are weaned from human milk at a very young age, so why would we need milk from cows in our own adulthood? And then to isolate the fat component of that milk, it just doesn't seem healthy to me.

Admittedly, my main objection to butter is an ethical one. I don't think it is right to separate a calf from its mother within hours or days of birth - as a mother myself it just breaks my heart to think of that happening. Calves need cow's milk, human infants need human milk, and human adults don't need any type of milk or milk product at all! We can get plenty of calcium and vitamin A from vegetables, healthy fats from nuts, seeds, olives, and avocados, vitamin D from the sun, and our bodies can manufacture all the cholesterol we need. :)
  • Megs654321
    Options
    :smile:
  • bunnywarrior
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't have butter. But I just use olive oil. It's good stuff!
    I'm a vegan, due partially to lactose intolerance, and I agree that olive oil is amazing. Isn't butter theoretically processed too? Dairy is supposed to be consumed by baby cows, not adult humans. The ability to digest dairy is a genetic mutation.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    There are healthier options than butter. Promise Spread for example is what I've used for years instead of butter. It is more flavorful then butter and can be used in its place when recipe's list butter as an ingredient.

http://www.spreadsnutrition.org/pdf/FactSheet_Promise.pdf
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    as much as i like the taste of butter better, and as much as i believe its more natural and would use it for my children, I dont think it has much place when im trying to reduce calories. Would i reather spread my bread with an extra 100 calories, or would i rather maybe 15 or 20 calories with some buttery tasting spread?
    Id prefer the taste of the butter but not enough to warrant how fattening it is.

If i wasnt watching my weight, id be drinking full fat milk, full sugar everything and lots of buttery toast every day
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the idea of eating whole, natural foods, but I disagree that butter is a natural food for humans. To take the milk of another species, which is intended for their young, and then churn it to separate out the fat from that milk, is quite unnatural. We are weaned from human milk at a very young age, so why would we need milk from cows in our own adulthood? And then to isolate the fat component of that milk, it just doesn't seem healthy to me.

Admittedly, my main objection to butter is an ethical one. I don't think it is right to separate a calf from its mother within hours or days of birth - as a mother myself it just breaks my heart to think of that happening. Calves need cow's milk, human infants need human milk, and human adults don't need any type of milk or milk product at all! We can get plenty of calcium and vitamin A from vegetables, healthy fats from nuts, seeds, olives, and avocados, vitamin D from the sun, and our bodies can manufacture all the cholesterol we need. :)

Ahhh,,,,,,,, never mind.
  • Grokette
    Options
    as much as i like the taste of butter better, and as much as i believe its more natural and would use it for my children, I dont think it has much place when im trying to reduce calories. Would i reather spread my bread with an extra 100 calories, or would i rather maybe 15 or 20 calories with some buttery tasting spread?
    Id prefer the taste of the butter but not enough to warrant how fattening it is.

If i wasnt watching my weight, id be drinking full fat milk, full sugar everything and lots of buttery toast every day

Actually losing weight has little or nothing to do with the "number" of calories you are intaking, but the QUALITY of the food you are eating.

Full fat milk and butter from grass fed cows is not unhealthy. Did you know that it takes fat to burn fat? Fat is actually your friend.

The toast you are eating and the sugar are far more detrimental to your health in the long run than a bit of butter.

I will never touch that plastic stuff known as a "buttery spread" ever again.

Put some of that stuff outside and watch it remain the same day after day and never change shape or form. That is not REAL FOOD.
  • Grokette
    Options
    There are healthier options than butter. Promise Spread for example is what I've used for years instead of butter. It is more flavorful then butter and can be used in its place when recipe's list butter as an ingredient.

http://www.spreadsnutrition.org/pdf/FactSheet_Promise.pdf

Sorry but with this ingredient list, Promise Spread is not the "healthy" item it is marketed to be........

INGREDIENTS:
    Vegetable oil blended (liquid soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, palm oil, palm kernel oil), water, whey (from milk), salt, vegetable mono- and diglycerides, soy lecithin, (potassium sorbate, calcium disodium EDTA) used to protein quality, vitamin E, citric acid, artificial flavor, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (for color), vitamin D3, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12).

Butter ingredients are as follows: cream, salt.

I will pick the one with the REAL ingredients any day over something that is made from oils that are oxidized and help to cause oxidation in the body which causes inflammation and leads to heart disease. And it has to be fortified with vitamins to try and make it "healthy".............