Tracking calories burned by training

Options
zainyk
zainyk Posts: 35 Member
It is easy enough to track exercise when you are using a machine that tells you how many calories you burned (even if they are not reliable) but how do i track the sessions i do with my trainer. I see him 3 or 4 times a week for an hour each time, the sessions are intense involving core, cardio, lunges, crunches, push ups, steps, weights etc etc (also that stupid ball, and that damn balancy thing which i keep falling off) i sweat a lot and it exhausts me far more than the treadmill, but what do i enter on the exercise tracking since i dont know how many calories i burned? The normal circuit training entry seems way to high i can not believe i would burn that much in a hour??

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say is heart rate monitor. I don't have one yet, but am looking at getting one soon. It's the only way to really get an accurate reading of your training intensity and calories burned. Can't wait to get mine!
  • MissKeeKee
    MissKeeKee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The most reliable thing you can do is buy a Heart Rate Monitor. Good Luck :)
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know for sure, invest in a heart rate monitor that you will wear while exercising. And you can also go to a health center or high-end gym and do a RMR (resting metabolic rate) test and that will tell you how many calories your body burns just by living (no exercise) per day, and then you insert that number into the the HRM (heart rate monitor) and you will be TOTALLY accurate for your body, metabolism, etc. at your current weight. When you get closer or to your goal weight, you would re-test your RMR because it changes as your weight and the conditioning of your body does.

In general, I have a slower metabolism, so I always downgrade the "generic" listings by lowering the minutes a little unless I"m using my HRM.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I agree that the HRM would give you the best measure.

Until you get one, could you ask your trainer how many calories he thinks you are burning? I've never worked 1 on1 w/ a trainer, but whenever I've taken a class the trainer always gives us a ballpark of how many calories we will burn during the session.
  • zainyk
    zainyk Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will get a HRM