Face cream question for ladies

Options
NYIceQueen
NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
Hi gals -- I'm at a loss here.

I know I need to use facial creams - have normal/dry skin - but everything I use I end up breaking out. Oil of Olay, L'Oreal, Garnier, Clinique, Estee Lauder....I'm constantly breaking out within 2-3 days of using it.

I can't use Aveeno because they use mushroom extracts and I'm allergic, so that's out.

I don't have a ton of money to keep experimenting. What do you gals use? I'm about to go back to old-fashioned cold cream or something at this rate!

TIA!

Replies

• keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    I'm using Raw Essentials now. cost is similar to department stores, but oh my .. makes my skin feel wonderful. I deal with mild rosacea on my face and this is so soothing and calming. Definitely recommend.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I tend to break out from the heavier creams so I try to stick with the lighter lotions. I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin.
  • pruthy
    pruthy Posts: 5
    Options
    try cetaphil lotion. it works great for dry skin, it's non clogging, and doesn't leave a heavy feeling on your face. i personally use it for various problem dry spots on my body. for my face i use the sensitive skin oil-free neutrogena face lotion. both can be found for under $10 at your nearest pharmacy.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    my face is naturally on the oily side so I don't really use face creams except some moisturizer here and there so i'm probably not going to be much help haha. BUT i was in Rite Aid yesterday and they had some all natural stuff. Say yes to carrots was one brand and the other was something about going back to nature....maybe if it was natural ingredients you wouldn't break out?

good luck!
  • coxy1968
    coxy1968 Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi I have just started to use Boots Protect and Perfect and it is brilliant, got rid of my dry patches within 2 days and my skin looks so much better, firmer and clearer.
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I use Beauti Control products. They have all different kinds. They are PRICEY, but if you sell it, you get it way cheaper. If you try it an like it, consider selling it.( I give my pals the same discount I get just so I can keep my discount.)
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    hello, neighbor!! I see your for Buffalo, NY, I'm in Auburn, NY.
    I have battled acne and allergies to face creams my whole life, yes, even at 43 I have to be very careful what I use. I have adjusted to Oil of Olay Regenerist series. I found that I had to let my skin get used to any new product. But what has really helped me is using dove soap to wash my face.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I am a cosmetologist and salon owner. I do facials for my clients and they all have raved about the product line that I use. It's a European line called REPECHAGE. They have moisturizers for all different kinds of skin types. From T-zone, oily, combination, and dry. You also might want to see a dermatologist just in case you have an overactive sebum production skin disorder. Hope this helps a little:)
  • vroyyoung
    vroyyoung Posts: 33
    Options
    When a product makes you break out after 2 or 3 days, do you keep using it or stop? I ask because any time I switch products I break out for about a week, then it stops. I'm using Neutrogena face cream now and like it. I used to spend a lot more on Shaklee and loved it, but decided to save money and switch and really have no complaints.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Try aldi, they do a face cream that was highly rated alongside top names...its packaged under the name Lacura or Siana. Was great on my skin until I became drier and now I use body shop vitamin E cream. I got on fine with neutrogena but it wasn't quite right for my skin type so might be one to try.

Im sensitive and crazy skinned (skin is greasy but peels in the oily areas as if dry?!), oil of olay caused a break out, garnier pilled on my skin (didn't soak in and wiped off in little balls)
  • skinnymama157
    Options
    I had the same problem. I discovered Murad Skin Perfecting lotion (you can get it at Sephora or online, check out Amazon). It has amazing reviews and I have had great results. It's even shrunk my pores and made my skin so much smoother and clearer. Now its a must every morning!
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Mary Kay....ive tried everything. I love all their skin products. clenser and moisturizer are essential to my everyday.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I double the Cethaphil recommendation. I started using their cleanser after trying EVERY expensive cleanser (I swear it!). I love it and would guess that the moisturizer would be just as good. However, for moisturizer, I use Hope in Jar by Philosophy. Not the kind with SPF (that makes me break out), but just the original. I've been using it for 2 years now and love it. You can get it at Sephora.com.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    Mary Kay....ive tried everything. I love all their skin products. clenser and moisturizer are essential to my everyday.

I second this.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Korres for oily skin. It's a cream gel actually. You can get it at sephora
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Olive oil. I put a thin layer on after washing my face both morning and night. We're talking like a couple of drops at the most. It's wonderful. And cheap. The only issue I have with it is that it does take a while to soak in, so you'd want to put it on right after your shower and then wait before applying any makeup. Otherwise your makeup will get cakey.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I have allergy/sensitivity to fragrances and such. At night I use Ponds B3 (supposed to help with those brown spots) and day I use Boots No.7 Rebalancing Fluid. Both from Target and both under $15-$20.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Third vote for Cetaphil lotion for the sensitive face. I use an EVO all natural soap and I don't dry out so bad, but using the straight EVO on my face gave me some blackheads and irritated my rosacea (just too thick I think). I do use the EVO on other parts of my body with no problem though. I also use Cetaphil cream on my feet in the summer, no smell and it absorbs quicker than EVO on the sole so I can walk around barefoot without leaving footprints.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I love Body Shop Nutriganics smoothing day cream. Its got anti ageing properties in it too. I have combination skin but my cheeks can get very dry in the winter. I had tried a lot of creams but this one worked the best for me.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    Wow, ladies, thanks for all the suggestions!

I am considering seeing a dermatologist just so I can see if there's anything else going on. Never been to one in my life, though.

To the olay post, Regenerist is one of the ones I tried and broke out with.

And once I react/break out I stop using the product and this usually gets me into the "nothing will work" cycle, so I don't use anything for a while.