How long before you noticed more flexibility?

Options
When I started going to the gym about a month ago I realized how unflexible I had become. A week after that I found the stretching equipment and REALLY realized it, lol. Oh MY do I have some flexibility to regain.

Last night I did an at home yoga dvd and ...uhmmm... well I apparently have a long way to go, lol. The worst of the tightness is in my hips specifically on the right. Which makes sense with my left plantar fascitis thats been there for way too long. I want to get stretched out so that my foot pain goes away and my gait goes back to even and normal.

I'm working consistently to stretch... and I know it takes time and every body is different. I was just wondering when you noticed an improvement with flexibility in your experience?

Replies

• Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm surprisingly flexible for being over weight. I stretch every day, rain or shine, exercise or coach potato day. A good friend of mine is not flexible AT ALL and we've been working on her. It took her about 3 weeks to start noticing a difference. She still has a long way to go, but she's improving.

Good luck and remember to stretch your hips! So many people forget that part.
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    A few weeks. Well, when I took up yoga again I was very stiff, but after a week I could tell that I had loosened up and my posture was slightly better. Though, it wasn't until about 2-3 months til I could perform my backbends the way I used to.
    Keep at it, and you'll notice some difference straight away. Just remember that consistancy is the key factor in flexibility.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i've been doing yoga for years, and have always been "pretty" flexible. six weeks ago, i started a very heavy exercise programme and incorporated LOTS of yoga/pilates/stretching into my new routine. after that period of time, suddenly i can do the splits (which i have NEVER been able to do), i can twist myself in tons of crazy directions, my yoga practice has improved tenfold, etc etc. just be patient! work slowly and diligently at those very very tight places and i promise you will see a difference!
  • vroyyoung
    vroyyoung Posts: 33
    Options
    When I started yoga I was shocked at how not flexible I was, but after the first two months I suddenly realized one day that I was doing really well! It was probably just a few weeks to gain some, but it was the day I leaned forward and could put my hands flat on the floor that caught my attention. Oh, I was going to yoga 2x per week, so your progress may be faster if you do it more often. Best wishes with your flexibility.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I've remained fairly flexible too, always been able to touch my toes but I did lose the ability to scratch my back in any spot...gained that back when i got to 30lbs lost. Looking forward to be able to do a back bend (crab) again! Although that could be lost forever due to my age lol!
  • niffer82402
    niffer82402 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Do all of you take yoga classes or do yoga DVDs? What DVDs do you recommend? I really want to start working on my flexibility but have never done yoga and don't know where to start. Classes aren't really an option for me right now because of an already hectic schedule, but I think a yoga DVD after the kids go to bed might be perfect. Any suggestions?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It was really gradual for me. I'm double jointed, so I'm quite bendy, but my hamstrings have always been really tight. I was never able to touch my toes, even as a kid. I can now. So... maybe 2 months or so?
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Do all of you take yoga classes or do yoga DVDs? What DVDs do you recommend?

I'm right there with you when it comes to having no time to go to a yoga class. I've noticed all the local classes where I live are during the time that I am either at work or in classes (I'm in grad school). Not to mention, I cannot really spare the cost of a membership or pay on a class-by-class basis. The prices at some yoga studios can be really asinine.

Anyway, so DVDs that I like are: Denise Austin's "Hot Body Yoga" and I bought a yoga DVD by The Firm that was pretty okay too. I know this topic is on yoga but I absolutely love Denise Austin's "Pilates For Every Body."

Target has a really great selection of exercise DVDs. Last night I bought a 4-disc yoga DVD that only cost $13. Now that's a sweet deal!
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    thanks for the input ladies :)

The most work I do is on my hips as that is beyond a doubt the worst of the tightness, lol.

I think I'll don this workout 3 times a week and hopefully that will show consistent results that I notice, lol. I found this workout on the netflix instant view list.. I'll have to see if they have any others.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I saw better flexibility in about a month. It was wonderful!
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    Do all of you take yoga classes or do yoga DVDs? What DVDs do you recommend? I really want to start working on my flexibility but have never done yoga and don't know where to start. Classes aren't really an option for me right now because of an already hectic schedule, but I think a yoga DVD after the kids go to bed might be perfect. Any suggestions?
    I do DVD's. Anything by the company Gaiam is awesome. The best instructors IMO are Rodney Yee, Colleen Saidman, Patricia Walden and Shiva Rea
    I guess I saw improvement in about a month
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    12 weeks of yoga did it for me.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I really believe some people are born more naturally flexible. I have ALWAYS been flexible. In gym on the sit and reach, I was always one of the few that could reach my whole hands past my feet and do a back bend with no problems. I was always able to do the splits. However, when I reached 200 pounds I noticed that I couldn't quite reach the floor anymore. I was like 3 inches away from the floor. I have been stretching everyday at the gym again and now I can reach the floor again in the splits!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I take a group yoga class at my gym 3 to 4 times a week. I started flexible in certain areas, but was very uneven from each side. I noticed a big improvement after 6 weeks. I am currently working increasing strength and flexibility in my quads, because they are one of my still tight spots.