Sugar Free or Fat Free?

Options
One thing I indulge in is vanilla creamer in my coffee every morning. What would be better-sugar free or fat free? I am leaning towards sugar free, but I can't find any nutritional information online to compare the two without going to the store and reading the labels.

Replies

• elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I tend to go sugar free. If you look at the sugar in Fat Free items it's usually higher. They have to make up for removing the fat I guess. lol
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I would say sugar free.
  • niffer82402
    niffer82402 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am the same way- HAVE to have my hazelnut creamer! lol I use the Sugar Free because while the fat content is a little bit higher, it is fewer calories overall. I don't know if that is the same for every brand / flavor or not, but after comparing labels, that is what I chose for me!
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    As far as calories go I would guess sugar free. However, I know neither is "good" for you with all the artificial junk in both, I still use my regular coffee mate faithfully and work it into my calories but cut down on my coffee alot so that when I do I only have 60 cal from my coffee mate on day I drink coffee.
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Same for me sugar free... I always choose the sugar free pudding over the fat free too :)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    When you go sugar free they tend to go high in carbs and fat free normally gets replaced with loads of everything else!! So that's a tuff one!
  • amycooper1012
    Options
    You might like Green Mountain Blueberry coffee. You don't need to add and cream/sugar to it..
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    This is why I switched from coffee to green tea and herbal teas. Actually I figured out that I don't even like coffee. I was just using it to make the creamer last longer =)

As for sugar free or fat free, I'd look at my overall diet and see if which is the bigger issue there - sugar or fat - and base it on that. Or if you have a health issue with one or the other...
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I can't drink coffee without it - defintely Sugar Free - mostly because the sugars make me go over my nutrition targets.

I found you can do a subscription for coffee mate through Amazon.com and save $ - they will send you a six pack every month.
  • dublvision2
    Options
    This is too funny, because I am in the same boat.
    LOOOOOOVE y vanilla creamer in my coffee and I really like to use a lot. I typically use the fat free version, but then looked at the calories and compared them with the ones in the sugar free.
    Fat free has 25 calories per tablespoon and sugar free has 15 per tablespoon.
    So, needless to say, I have switched to sugar free. lol!
    I have a bottle of each still, so if there's any other comparison you need, just let me know. :D
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    This is too funny, because I am in the same boat.
    LOOOOOOVE y vanilla creamer in my coffee and I really like to use a lot. I typically use the fat free version, but then looked at the calories and compared them with the ones in the sugar free.
    Fat free has 25 calories per tablespoon and sugar free has 15 per tablespoon.
    So, needless to say, I have switched to sugar free. lol!
    I have a bottle of each still, so if there's any other comparison you need, just let me know. :D
    Be careful about the unit measurements - I have found that coffee mate will sometimes use a teaspoon serving size and sometimes tablespoon.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Sugar free!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Sugar free it is! Thanks for all the info. Now I have to figure out what to do with the rest of my regular creamer since I just bought the giant carton last week.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For some reason i go for the fat free. seems to e against everyone else here lol. i suppose i personally dont want to start using the sweet n lows or stuff like that since i hear they give you head aches when you dont have them. i heard they are bad for ya. etc etc... anyone else know more about that?
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sugar free. The body needs the little bits of fat more so than it needs the processed sugars. The main major change I've made to my dietary habits is reducing non-fructose sugars (i.e. non-fruit/veggie sugars) and I've lost over 35 lbs in just over 2 months.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sugar free. The body needs the little bits of fat more so than it needs the processed sugars. The main major change I've made to my dietary habits is reducing non-fructose sugars (i.e. non-fruit/veggie sugars) and I've lost over 35 lbs in just over 2 months.

Yup! Exactly that. I've done the same thing (cut down on carbs/sugars) and I can't stop losing weight. Your body does need the fats (altho processed fats really aren't good for you either, but I think it's probably the lesser of the 2 evils here) more than the sugars.
  • 88irocz
    88irocz Posts: 2
    Options
    Sugar free is not all that it's cracked up to be. If you eat Splenda, Nutri Sweet and the like you are heading down a bad health path. These are synthetics and your body has no idea what to do with it in which case it can turn into an inflamatoryresponse which in turn causes other problems with in the body. The only no calorie sweetner that is regarded as SAFE is Stevia.
    It's not about only losing weight but keeping yourselves healthy and having a healthy immune system. It doesn't do you any good if you're at a perfect weight and have all kinds of health issues because your immune system has been weakened by artificial sweetners. Do your own research before you totally rule out using real suger, Stevia or AGAVE(catus nectar) in moderation!! :flowerforyou: