BS Normal ...excessive thirst...suggestions?

Options
Ok so I know I will expect people to tell me that I should see a physician about diabetes, however I am a diabetic consultant and I do check my sugars intermittently. I have been within a normal range everytime I have tested them .
I have had fasting GTT's and they too have been within normal ranges. Also other than the thirst and increased urination, I exhibit none of the other symptoms of diabetes.

I AM excessively thirsty to the point of drinking 15-20 (250ml) cups of water a day and still feeling thirsty. Of course I have increased urination, but that is to be expected when consuming that much water.
My sodium has been over only slightly, (less than 50mg above the recommended max).
Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help

Replies

• ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would go see a doctor.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I tend to be more thirsty when I get my eating in check. When I was in a weight loss group through my doctor's office, this was a fairly common occurrence. Not sure why it is,but it seems to be normal.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I get to this point sometimes. I just get so thirsty and I want to drink constantly. Never anything wrong with me so I didn't worry about it too much. If it gets to the point of being unbearable you might call the doctor just to ask. It may be nothing but it doesn't hurt to mention it to them just to see if they have any other thoughts. Good luck!
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    im thirsty all of the time too!! I do not have diabetes or anything like that. I guess I have just gotten use to it! I usually drink around 4 litres of water a day and could probably drink more but I think my work would be angry at me for going to the bathroom every 5 minutes.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hmm to be honest it might be a different type of diabetes! - This might sound silly to you, or it might make perfect sense.

Diabetes Insipidus - In basic terms your pituitary gland is having a hard time regulating the water in your body, so you experience dehydration and thirst. There is no way to tell if you have this unless visiting a hospital to have some blood test runs. - If you lose your appetite this can also be a side effect of having this condition, but does not specifically apply in all cases.

I only know because this is what I have! Unfortunately I have an extremely rare condition were I was born with it, most people get it in their 20s-40s due to some type of accident, but that's not always the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus

Best of luck on finding your issue! :) I hope you can have this resolved quickly. Needing to drink so much water can be a pain in the butt!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight...they say 8oz, but that is based on someone who is an average of about 130 lbs.....You should be drinking half your body weight in oz plus some if you exercise regularly plus some if your diet is high in sodium

Personally, I'm 235lbs and so I should be drinking half of that in oz. So my base for water should be 118 oz. That's 14 glasses as a minimum. My goal is to keep my water intake between 14-16 glasses a day. I know that since I started eating healthy and getting my water in properly, I get really thirsty. Like you my BS levels are normal (I'm IR so I have it checked regularly) plus I take Metformin for the PCOS because my GTT was a little out of the normal range, but not enough to be called diabetic. That test was run just a month ago.

It could be normal for you!
  • DreaMartinez
    Options
    I have noticed that the more water I drink, the more thirsty I seem to be. It's like my body wants it more now that I'm not flooding it with diet soda :)
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would go see a doctor.

It never hurts to see a doctor, especially one you trust, one who will listen, and who you will listen to. Lots of things could be causing you to be thirsty, including the food you eat. So I would bring a list of things you are eating, maybe print a page or two of the food diary. It is good to spot check the blood sugar as you have mentioned, but the best test is the A1C (indicates what the blood sugar has been over a longer period of time), which your doctor can do. There are also A1C kits you can get at a drug store but I think a good lab work up at a doc may be the way to go.
  • KandiLicious
    KandiLicious Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Polydipsia (excessive thirst) can be cause by many things other then diabetes. It ranges from the obvious to the obscure.
    -high sodium intake
    -stress
    -burns
    -polyuria (excessive urination)
    -fever
    -diarrhae
    -sepsis
    -renal failure
    -diabetes insipidus
    -diabetes mellitus
    -cirrhosis
    -liver failure
    -heart failure
    -Fanconi Syndrome
    -hyperparathyroidism
    -adrenal gland disorder
    -anemia

This is just some of the causes of excessive thirst. I drink at least 96 ounces per day and some days it is up to 120 ounces. Even with all that water coming in (and out) I still have some days where I am thirsty....I review my diet and have always found that those have been the days when I did have more sodium than normal.
    Hope you find an answer...I would go see a doctor if it is concerning enough.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hmm to be honest it might be a different type of diabetes! - This might sound silly to you, or it might make perfect sense.

Diabetes Insipidus - In basic terms your pituitary gland is having a hard time regulating the water in your body, so you experience dehydration and thirst. There is no way to tell if you have this unless visiting a hospital to have some blood test runs. - If you lose your appetite this can also be a side effect of having this condition, but does not specifically apply in all cases.

I only know because this is what I have! Unfortunately I have an extremely rare condition were I was born with it, most people get it in their 20s-40s due to some type of accident, but that's not always the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus

Best of luck on finding your issue! :) I hope you can have this resolved quickly. Needing to drink so much water can be a pain in the butt!

Thanks for the insight, I have checked the specific gravity using dip sticks and it's normal as well.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I have just not been drinking enough and now that I am conscious of it, it seems excessive.

(BTW- I am a nurse and have really investigated many of the typical and atypical medical related possibilties... I thought perhaps there was something more particular to the weight loss journey that I may have overlooked)
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that the more water I drink, the more thirsty I seem to be. It's like my body wants it more now that I'm not flooding it with diet soda :)

I'm the same as you, never used to drink water, have noticed that as I get used to it and drink more..the thirstier I get....weird