will my BCshot affect my weight loss?

Options
I had a baby a year ago in May. When I went to my dr. for a follow up appt I was told that my birth control would have to be the Depo Shot because I cannot take a birth control pill with high levels of estrogen because I am nursing. Now will this have any impact on being able to lose weight?

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have taken that for years and it hasn't inhibited my weight loss. I lost 88 lbs in 2008 while on it. Must be some people that do have trouble though, they ask me every time I go in if I've noticed any weight gain! I'm like...yeah, cause I eat too much. Not from the shots! :bigsmile:
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Who told you that was your only option??? I'm currently nursing as well and I'm on the NuvaRing. There's also a patch and low estrogen BC pills. And IUDS...

Don't let someone corner you into choosing an option that might not be the best choice for YOU and your needs.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Not near as much as getting pregnant will.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I thought that poison was off the market. Took me two years off the stuff to get a normal cycle and to feel like myself again. My knees still creak from bone mass loss but at least I don't wake up in the middle of the night crying for no reason anymore or bleeding for four months straight. I can't believe doctors still push that garbage.

(And I gained a good 40 pounds on it. Not sure how much of that was the drug itself and how much was me overeating to compensate for the mood swings and trouble sleeping).
  • indigoeyes
    indigoeyes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I gained in my thighs and butt both times (I had the shot once in 2000 when I was nursing my daughter and once in 2002 when I was nursing my son). The pregnancy weight was already gone when I got each shot (I waited until my babies were 6 months old) and my butt and thighs ballooned both times. The weight gain was the least of my issues with the depot shot. Sorry if TMI but I spotted for 3 months straight, sometimes heavily enough that I felt like I was going to have my period for the rest of my life. I remember saying to my husband "whats the point of BC if we can't have sex because of the damn BC?" Some people can use the shot and have no issues at all but for me it was a nightmare.
  • rpullen23
    Options
    I was told that I could use the IUD and Nuvaring but I have a small diaphram to begin with and thought it would feel pretty uncomfortable and was scared if it fell out of place. I was interested is Beyaz but wasn't sure if I would be able to take it while nursing. I am only nursing about twice a day now so it is not my baby's strict diet.