How long did it take before you actually ENJOYED exercise?

Options

Replies

• Cassienz
    Cassienz Posts: 75
    Options
    I knew I'd be the same as you and give up if I didn't enjoy it - I'd have 101 excuses for not walking for instance! So when I decided to do this I chose to do exercise I knew I would enjoy. I like playing computer games, so I use the wii for a large portion of my exercise. Even though I'm only aiming for 30 minutes a day 5 times a week I often go over that. Also making the effort to take my kids places which will require me to participate like the local swimming pool. So doing all that I've been doing this for a month now and I'm very happy to continue and also am very happy with the weight loss so far. This is so much easier doing something I like to do than if I'd struggled through trying to keep up a walking programme for instance (which I find so boring!).
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I hate it now- When I was younger I did gymnastics and played basketball for fun and stayed in shape without ever thinking about exercise. Now I love the feeling after a cardio workout, but it takes a lot for me to get on the treadmill (I even post my stats sometimes before I do it so I can't back out). I do enjoy biking, but it's too cold herefor so many months you get less than half a year you can bike and not look CRAZY. I also hate every minute on the treadmill. I really, really hate it. Some day I hope to be past it and keep in shape in more enjoyable ways, but it's my own fault I can't flip and twist anymore. I hated the elliptical and stationary bike as well. Exercise for exercise sake is boring.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It's taken me about 36 years and 1 1/2 months!

Always enjoyed walking, but never did it for exercise - since January, have really got into aerobic exercise and loving it!
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    3 months. After that, you really start to see changes in the mirror and that keeps you going.
  • MonkeyWithNoName
    MonkeyWithNoName Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely detest exercise and all all the stuff about it releasing endoprhins to make you feel better doesn't work for me, infact it makes my mood worse.

Have you tried playing a team sport? When you feel like not going you have to or you'll be letting the team down and sometimes it's enjoyable being social!
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    After I lost about 40 lbs. and three to 4 months, now I look forward to it. I use a treadmill mostly and I have a Kindle where I can chance the size of the print and read at the same time. Makes the time pass a lot faster, I usually save my favorite book at the time and just read it on the treadmill. I listen to books on tape when walking. Right now I am alternating walking one day and reading a book one day followed by a swim. I will prob added some distance swimming in the ocean, at one time was up to half mile. I went thru this loss gain weight 4 or 5 years ago, this time plan to make a life habit of useing MFP.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    never. i do like lifting weights and i like walking but not anything cardio related.
  • vzllewis
    vzllewis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Didn't take long at all when my trainer was cute. Now that I am trainerless, it's quite difficult, but you gotta learn to push through. My body now actually misses all the exercise I used to get... :D
  • marlene718
    marlene718 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll try and make this loooong story short in hopes of helping. In 2004 a friend suggested doing 1/2 maration with a non profit organization. I'll never forget the first day of training...It was supposed to be a 2 mile walk and it turned into 4 miles. I spent the next two days on the chair not able to move. At that point my decision was to quit or get mad at myself for letting myself become so unfit. I chose to get mad at myself and have been working out 5-6 days a week since. To answer your question, how long will it take? It should take your body 2-3 weeks to feel small improvements but the most important change you will need to make is your mind set. I kept a journal and every 3 months I would read back on what I've accomplished and be very proud of how far I've come.

Make a list of one small thing you can do each week at the gym or at home. If you're doing 15 ab crunches add another 5 each workout for one week. You will start to feel so much better that you will want to do another "small" challenge.

Change it up. On days I just don't want to do cardio I do interval training...1:30 at a moderate pace, :30 sec. at "high" pace. I would do this for a total of 15mins and you can't believe how quickly the time goes and you'll start to extend the time each workout. Find a friend to go with...new music to listen to...I know it sounds crazy but even a new workout outfit can encourage you to go to the gym.

For me, I have to workout first thing in the AM or I won't do it. It's done and off my mind and it also gives me more energy to get though the day as well as gives me a better frame of mind.

Hang in there...do it for your mind, body and spirit and I promise you really will look forward to going :)
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month before I started to like exercising.

Just like the others, I had to find something that I liked to do. For me, it was the Wii Fit. I let it choose some of my exercises, and one day, it took me on a short run over a virtual island. I was SO out of breath and totally sweating -- I HATED that exercise. I kept trying the other exercises, and found that things were becoming easier -- then tried the short Island run again. I could actually make it! A couple of weeks ago, I started doing the free run -- first 10 minutes, now 20. During my last run, I was watching the "mile counter" as I ran -- I had set a goal to do 2 miles. When that past, I asked myself, can I do 3? Yes, I can do 3! Now I am actually thinking about training to do a 5k this summer -- MAYBE. Who knew that after all these years, I could experience a runners high?

I'm not saying that I'm always motivated -- I skipped last night, and it should have been Zumba day. It's a really fun exercise, too and I had NO excuse -- just plain didn't feel like it. If I had started the exercise, I probably would have felt better. I find that changing into my workout clothes seems to be my biggest hurdle.

My advice to you is to find something that you love to do -- or set a goal of something that you have always wanted to do, but couldn't since you were too out of shape. (I have had a goal to bike the trails around here). Logging the exercise calories on MFP also helps.

Good luck --
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercise, but I like the results!
  • suehirschberg
    Options
    It is said that is takes 66 days to form a new habit....so hang in there and keep on pushing yourself to go. I have to.
    The excuses I come up with not to go are pathetic, but I silence that little voice and go to the gym. Once there I am
    so happy I did. Yoga helps me to go as well, have your tried it? It takes one month for you to see results from exercise
    and in three months everyone starts to notice and that is a very good feeling which does change the mind about
    exercise
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have always hated exercise in the past. I saw it as a punishment or torture I had to endure in order to lose weight.

But this time, I’ve put myself in a different frame of mind, and it’s working. I simply approach exercise as a means to see what my body is capable of. What can I do today, that I couldn’t do yesterday? And three months in, that approach is working. It is also helping that I choose to do classes/activities that feel good. I tried bootcamp and it made me feel like the fat kid in gym class, so I don’t do it. Yoga makes me feel centered and capable, I do that. Zumba makes me like I’ve spent an hour on the dance floor, it’s a yes. The treadmill makes me feel trapped and bored, it’s a no.

Having a gym membership, in my case, helps. Because I am spending money I can’t really afford to spend. And for me, that means I am determined to get my money’s worth by going 5 to 6 days a week. For others, this would be an additional pressure. So you have to know what works for you. I also work freelance (not that I’ve had work in months) and care for my 3-year-old all day. So gym time is the only time I get to be completely alone in my own thoughts without meeting someone else’s needs.
  • amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Options
    I have never been sporty at all throughout my life. I took up running about two years ago because my brother invited me to do a race with him. It was a 5K and I was so scared! I trained and trained, and I hated the training part!! But, then I did the race and everything changed. I crossed the finish line and I burst into tears. My husband was there waiting for me and he just hugged me and told me how proud of me he was. There's something about a race. Since then, I have done about seven more races, one of which was a half marathon last year. I actually ran the whole thing. Granted, it was a pretty slow run--the whole race took me two and a half hours. But, it was the best feeling I have ever had to cross that finish line--at least the best that I have created for myself, aside from kids being born, wedding, etc. I felt like I had truly accomplished something great. Ever since that first race, I have really, truly enjoyed running. There are days where I think I just don't have it in me, but once I get out there, I love it. I get time to myself, which I rarely get. I get to listen to my music and be alone with my thoughts, sort through them. It helps clear my head, especially if it's outside. The treadmill can't compare. If you have a nice iPod, I would definitely suggest getting the Nike iFit. It tracks your miles and time and how many calories you burn, so when you are outside, you get the same effect as being on a treadmill. It tells you how fast each mile is too. Anyway, there's my sermon, do with it what you will! =)
  • Mimishadows
    Mimishadows Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I didn't like exercise until i bought myself a bike. I go every other day and ride my bike on the trail by my house.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Right away. But I picked things I liked to do and I worked my way up gradually. I think a lot of people start out too fast and too hard and pick things that are supposed to be good for you instead of things they like to do.

Also, I don't think of it as exercise. I think of it as playing or a hobby. As in: my hobby is cycling (or swimming, running, etc.).
  • Kallisti
    Kallisti Posts: 61
    Options
    After a year and a half of being sedentary, it took 5 weeks and 2 days. I know that's pretty specific, but that's what I wrote in my exercise journal.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have always hated exercise in the past. I saw it as a punishment or torture I had to endure in order to lose weight.

But this time, I’ve put myself in a different frame of mind, and it’s working. I simply approach exercise as a means to see what my body is capable of. What can I do today, that I couldn’t do yesterday? And three months in, that approach is working. It is also helping that I choose to do classes/activities that feel good. I tried bootcamp and it made me feel like the fat kid in gym class, so I don’t do it. Yoga makes me feel centered and capable, I do that. Zumba makes me like I’ve spent an hour on the dance floor, it’s a yes. The treadmill makes me feel trapped and bored, it’s a no.

I love the way you think! I go to Curves 5 days per week, which I love. Other than that I've never really cared for structured exercise. I've been doing 2 DVDs (started in january) and just bought 3 more. I am going to try to approach it like you're doing and see if a different frame of mind helps. Thanks so much for posting this!
  • MuseumMonkey
    Options
    I've turned it into a procrastination tool--since I gave up video games for Lent, except Wii Fit, lol. I have classes 3 days a week right now, and whether it's in the morning on the days I'm not going anywhere or after school in the evenings, I tell myself that as soon as I'm done working out I have to do homework. THAT makes half an hour on the elliptical or treadmill look sooo much more appealing--and it's much easier to convince myself that I'm not actually tired yet and I can throw in a Billy Blanks video, Wii Fit, and some light weights to boot!

While I'm using my cardio machines is also pretty much the only time I let myself watch TV or movies.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have never been sporty at all throughout my life. I took up running about two years ago because my brother invited me to do a race with him. It was a 5K and I was so scared! I trained and trained, and I hated the training part!! But, then I did the race and everything changed. I crossed the finish line and I burst into tears. My husband was there waiting for me and he just hugged me and told me how proud of me he was. There's something about a race. Since then, I have done about seven more races, one of which was a half marathon last year. I actually ran the whole thing. Granted, it was a pretty slow run--the whole race took me two and a half hours. But, it was the best feeling I have ever had to cross that finish line--at least the best that I have created for myself, aside from kids being born, wedding, etc. I felt like I had truly accomplished something great. Ever since that first race, I have really, truly enjoyed running. There are days where I think I just don't have it in me, but once I get out there, I love it. I get time to myself, which I rarely get. I get to listen to my music and be alone with my thoughts, sort through them. It helps clear my head, especially if it's outside. The treadmill can't compare. If you have a nice iPod, I would definitely suggest getting the Nike iFit. It tracks your miles and time and how many calories you burn, so when you are outside, you get the same effect as being on a treadmill. It tells you how fast each mile is too. Anyway, there's my sermon, do with it what you will! =)

Thanks for the tip on the Nike iFit. One of the reasons that I like the Wii Fit I Run is that I can see my progress -- I tried to watch TV while running, but found that I had to watch my Mii build the miles step by step. It's a beautiful day today so I may try running outside with the Nike iFit. Thanks again!