Calories Burned - MFP or machine count

Options
I usually always trust MFP with calories burned when I am working out at home using a video or the Wii. However, today I completed 45 minutes on the elliptical machine at the gym and the calories burned (according to the machine) was 335. I went to log the calories in MFP but it recommends 465 calories. Which one do you believe is more accurate? I had to input my weight on the ellipical machine and it monitored my heart rate periodically.

Thanks for the help

Replies

• lcamero2
    lcamero2 Posts: 52
    Options
    I have the opposite problem.. MFP always underestimates my calories burned on the elliptical (it doesn't take into account resistance) and the elliptical machine is always higher as I go on level 11 resistance
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I am having this same problem. Today I am buying a hrm so I can get a more accurate reading. I am scared that I am over eating or under eating because of inaccurate logging.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I use whichever one is lower; I have read that most machines are not calibrated accurately and may give you a caloric swing of 20% more calories burned than is the actual case. So I just decided to use whichever count is lower. You could always split the difference too or use whatever you feel is most accurate. But I would consistently stick with one or the other.
  • aaronbyard
    Options
    I typically try to overestimate what I eat and underestimate what I burn. I'd rather err in that direction than the other. I think MFP overestimate calories burned for a lot of exercises. I wear a heart rate monitor when I go cycling. MFP gives me like 400 more calories than the website I use to track my rides, and that website takes the heart rate into account.
  • muststaymotivated
    Options
    It was recommended by one of MFPs that I try using a pedometer that also counts calories burned. I sent my BF to the store last night for one (it was about 8 bucks at walmart). I will be using this from here on out because I had concerns as well. The entries on MFP may have been added by someone else and I think the amount burned also depends on your weight. If you do not weigh the same then it may be slightly off. In your case I would trust the machine because you had to actually input your weight which again determines the amount of calories burned...I hope this helps...Good luck to ya!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I would go with the lower number to be safe. I bought a heart rate monitor last month and found that it calculates my calories burned way lower than the machines at the gym and MFP. My HRM syncs to the cardio machines at the gym and it still gives me a lower number than the machine. I always use the lower number. I eat all or most of my exercise calories.
  • yazminetw
    yazminetw Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I will go with the lower calorie count to be on the safe side. It's less than a 200 calorie difference so that's not too bad. I think I will have to get a HRM.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I'D USE THE LOWEST TO BE SAFE, IF IT WAS ON THE HIGHER END, YOU'LL STILL GET THE REWARDS IN THE END. :)