Short and long term training advice

Options
As my New Year's resolution this year, I did not resolve that I would lose weight. Been there, broke that. I decided this year I would resolve to train for and run in at least 2 5k races. I have started the couch to 5k program and I am really enjoying the process. I am, for the first time, enjoying and looking forward to my runs. I am not good at it and have no delusions of getting great times or anything of that nature. I have terrible knees but I working with them now and not using them as an excuse.

So here it is. A 5k is not enough. I want to push out those goals a bit and push myself. Well not a bit, a lot. By next summer, I would like to train for and participate in a triathalon. There I said it! Is there anyone out there training for a tri? Any advice? Is 12-15 months too long or not long enough? I guess I have the start, trianing for the 5k and dropping some pounds. Any advice or resources would be great!

Replies

• oscelyn
    oscelyn Posts: 54
    Options
    Sorry no advice, but wow, awesome goals! I'm impressed with your desire. I'm also doing C25K. My next goal would be to do a 10K.

Good luck!
  • ruddyrunner
    Options
    Bump

(and get back to later, in similar situation, no time to reply now)
  • amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Options
    I think you are awesome and your goals are lofty which is definitely where they should be. If we don't push ourselves to be great, who will? I started training for runs about two years and ago and last October I ran a half marathon. I have never done a tri, mostly I stick to running, but I have thought about doing one and I think it would be awesome. I can give you lots of pointers on the running part. Do the races! That is what inspired me to keep going because crossing that finish line is such an amazing feeling!! Once you have done your 5k, move onto a 10k, and so on. Work slowly. According to Runner's World, you only need 16 weeks to train for a half marathon, but I would definitely give a beginner a lot more time than that. I think your time goal is more than realistic enough! I bet you could even pull it off by the end of the year, but spring would be more fun to do it rather than fall or winter, and obviously this spring is out of the question. Have fun!! You are awesome and I think you are going to ROCK!! =)
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the half! I would love to mark that one off my list as well!:happy:
  • ruddyrunner
    Options
    I completely forgot about this topic, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to it.

Anyway, I am also a fairly new runner and planning for a triathlon. I started C25K at the end of Oct '10, did my first 5K in Jan '11, and am doing a 10K race this weekend (yikes!). I signed up for a sprint distance triathlon being held Sept 3, 2011. When I was looking to register for one, it seems that the distances vary a little, but you're basically looking at around a half mile swim, 12-15 mile bike, and 3 mile run (often 3.1 or a 5K).

Granted I started running before you did, but for me waiting until next year would be too far away. You're already starting on the running with C25K, so I suppose it depends on how comfortable you are with biking and swimming. From your profile picture, it looks like you have a bike and possibly ride it with some regularity. If you know how to swim and are fairly comfortable in the water, doing a tri this year seems feasible to me. There are a few people on MFP that have encouraged me to do the triathlon, I can send your their names if you like.

I hope you sign up!
  • bugnbeansmom
    Options
    Any references that have done this are helpful! I found one in August that allows for "fat tires" (Mountain bikes). I don't have a race bike but if I really want to do this, I will need one. I actually swim quite well but have never raced. I think I could mentally train for the August race but I have terrible joints and I am really afraid of tearing my knee up again and finishing off my shoulder! I really don't want to end up back on the surgical table. But I keep telling myself that I am stronger. When I tore me knee out I weighed 40 lbs more than I do today. I did not have a plan.

RR- where did you get your training plan?
  • ruddyrunner
    Options
    Actually, I don't quite have a training plan yet. I think I'm going to end up developing my own based on my schedule and things I've learned. I'm thinking I'll start in May, that will give me 4 months (my tri is Sept 3). I attended a "Training for a Triathlon" seminar at work and got some good ideas there. Also this website: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ has been a great source for info - including sample training plans. I'm not looking to win my triathlon, just complete the course in a reasonable time, so I should be able to put something together - just need to sit down and do it.

As for injuries, you do need to be careful, and only you know your body and what you're capable of. One plus side to training for a triathlon is that you get a variety of exercise during your training. You aren't pounding the pavement everyday, some days your knees are safe on your bike or in the water, your shoulders get a rest during running days, etc. I'm hoping it will provide a nice balanced variety. But you do have to be reasonable too, so maybe you could start doing a little bit of biking and swimming while you're preparing for your 5K and see how you feel. Then you can decide if you're up for registering for a triathlon.

And lastly, I don't think you need to jump into buying a race bike. From what I understand (I'm new at this too) there will be a wide variety of bikes there - road, hybrid, and mountain. If you get seriously into this, then maybe consider a better bike, but for your first one. I've been told that almost anything will do (remember, only 12-15 miles, depending on the race). I'll be riding a hybrid bike that is several years old.

I sent a message to 2 other MFP users who have done triathlons and encouraged me, so hopefully they'll add on to this thread.
  • fumblerdog
    Options
    Yay, I will encourage newbie triathletes any day of the week and twice on Sunday! :-) I started doing tris (with Team In Training) back in 2009, and they are absolutely addictive. I think they are great for all levels of athletes, since 2 out of the 3 sports are pretty low-impact. My advice for you at this point - find a sprint triathlon that looks like it would be friendly to beginners. If you throw out your geographic area, I might be able to make some suggestions. There are lots of races that are beginner-friendly. Don't go out and spend a zillion dollars on gear (especially bike-related gear) until you're sure you're going to keep up with the sport.

Most importantly? HAVE FUN!!!! Tris are such a rush. Feel free to friend me or whatever and we can always continue the conversation.
  • sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Options
    Any references that have done this are helpful! I found one in August that allows for "fat tires" (Mountain bikes). I don't have a race bike but if I really want to do this, I will need one. I actually swim quite well but have never raced. I think I could mentally train for the August race but I have terrible joints and I am really afraid of tearing my knee up again and finishing off my shoulder! I really don't want to end up back on the surgical table. But I keep telling myself that I am stronger. When I tore me knee out I weighed 40 lbs more than I do today. I did not have a plan.

• sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Options

Sorry...I prematurely posted :)
    First, kudos to you for deciding to do something you haven't done before and having the courage to find out more about it!!!

The bike...I did my first sprint last year and like it so much I signed up for 3 more! I did them all on a mountain bike; fat tires, flat pedals, suspensions...the whole inefficient package! At 20km, you definitely can manage it on a mountain bike (and you can't do worse than what I had LOL)! In fact, I just bought my tri bike this winter and am glad I spent a season on my mountain bike because it build a huge amount of confidence for me this year.

Bike training - you want to do more than just going on your bike and riding, especially if you go on a mountain bike. If there are any spin classes in your area, I HIGHLY suggest signing up for one. They will help to build the right muscles for riding outside, and give you great conditioning. I not, still spend some time on a spin/stationary bike do some low cadence (say 50 rpm) and fast spin (say 110 rpm) intervals of 1 - 5 minutes.

Swimming - if you have shoulder problems, just make sure you ramp up your effort and distance. It sounds like you aren't in too bad shape in this discipline - but do you know what aggravates your shoulder?

Run - probably the hardest on your joints...even tougher after getting off a bike! If you need to, you can either walk the 5km, or do a jog/walk interval (start low then build, like maybe a 5 min jog 1 min walk?). You definitely don't want to mess up your joints!!!! Do you have good running shoes (not cross training but running shoes) that are reasonably new?

There is a great website call Beginner Triathlete http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ , that has lots of good information for getting started. Another option is to find out if you have a local triathlon club. Now, when someone suggested that to me last year, my internal response was "are you kidding??? I'm a newbie I don't belong yet". Was I ever wrong! If you find the right club, they will be invaluable in helping you get started - everything from technical training plans to moral support (and you have us here, on MFP, too!).

August sounds doable, but you will need to get started right away. Sorry for the long winded message...I hope some of it is helpful. If you want to do it, you can...it's as simple as that. Just ramp up slowly for injury management...it's better to be slower than you wanted than to be sitting on the couch icing body parts ;)

Good luck!!!!
  • bugnbeansmom
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. I do have a wonderful pair of running shoes that are about a month old. I went to the running store locally and they did the gate analysis and helped me pick out a great pair. I love them! As far as my shoulder goes, I played volleyball in college and after years of swinging on volleyballs has left my rotator cuff less than solid! The swimming will be good for it. I will just need to pace myslef. I know I can do this. When I put my mind to something and decide it is what I want. I go after it! Thanks again.
  • TheIncredibleShrinkingDan
    Options
    Lots of good advice above. I would second the recommendation to pick a sprint distance triathlon first and not to go buy a lot of gear until you decide you love it--although I do have a gently used wet suit that I would sell you if you are 6'3". :-)

I would also second the recommendation of www.beginnertriathlete.com. There is all kinds of good information there.

I've done four or five XTerra off-road triathlons so am not an expert but I got my training plans out of a couple of different books by Gale Bernhardt..."Triathlon Training Basics" and "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes." Both are on Amazon. There are plans for all different race distances and fitness starting points including Unfit Beginner to Sprint Triathlon and Fit Beginner to Sprint Triathlon. The plans are generally 12 weeks long and provide guidance of what swim, bike, run and weight training exercises you should do every day (and rest days).

I found the variety of training every day really kept me motivated and it is a great way to burn calories with lower risk of injury because you are using all of your muscles and reducing risk of over-training any one body part.