Ladies Room Only Question

Options
Ok..here's the deal girlfriends-I have been on MFP for about 2 weeks now and I'm starting to see some results. Unfortunately my downfall is the week before my period I want to eat everything in sight...the cravings are non-stop. I am really struggling right now and I don't want to blow it. Any advice on what I can do ?

Replies

• michelegbowman
    Options
    Yes, keep posting here. THe more you keep your hands on the keyboard, the less you'll eat. When it gets really bad, go for a walk...without money -- so you can't buy a snack.

Put popcorn in brown paper bag and put in microwave without any butter -- munch on it.

Get a carrot.

Drink loads of water.

Phone a friend.

Crawl in bed and take a nap and sleep away the cravings....works for me.

Good luck and keep posting !
  • 11shakes
    11shakes Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to allow myself one good (bad) treat the week before. One cupcake won't break the bank. Everything in moderation!
  • mlm7944
    mlm7944 Posts: 15
    Options
    You're not the only one! The same thing happens to me, too. I also tend to gain water weight that week and I'm concerned because I'm in a weight loss contest that ends in a week...unfortunately bad timing according to my body-clock! I'm looking for ideas, too.

Here are some things I've found online about dropping water weight:
    - drink MORE water, herbal tea, and green tea
    - eat foods that help with the sodium-potassium balance: celery, asparagus, garlic, lettuce, cucumbers, oats, etc.
    - try to cut out sugary foods as much as possible

This being said, it's not easy! Some of my crutches:

- apple slices in dip (fat free vanilla yogurt mixed with chocolate protein powder and sometimes a little bit of peanut butter)
    - celery cut into bite-sized pieces (not my favorite, but it helps when I need something crunchy)
    - Kashi cereal (filling, slightly sweet, and crunchy)...I like to add a little chocolate protein powder and skim milk
    - Nalley chili-pepper petite dill pickles - crunchy, spicy & salty
    - olives - just a few - when you have that salty craving...they fat is good fat and it will help satisfy you
    - sugar free gum

GOOD luck!
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    protien shakes...
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I really hate the ToM simply because of that reason. I don't overeat, but I do eat what I'm craving so I don't go crazy. I make sure it fits in my caloric intake. I try to balance out my decisions, too--for example, instead of eating a bunch of candy bars, I switch them out with Quaker Chewy granola bars; still sweet & they have all kinds of flavors...& the calories are better! Don't deprive yourself because it'll drive you insane. I usually gain about one or two pounds (this month I didn't at all, surprisingly!), but it's water weight that disappears within two days.

Sometimes I just exercise a lot if I know I'm about to pig out. :') But that might not be an option if you're cramping...sorry I couldn't be better help!
  • Dteg
    Dteg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. So for the week before i make sure to pack a piece of fruit and a package of almonds with me, so i have them where ever i go. I know that i will have craving that week so i think what i truly would like to splurge on and allow one for the week. It is normally for me a giant cup of coffee full of sugary goodness from caribu. Or if i am craving sweets i go and buy a small candy bar or bag of candy, since i don't keep any in my house. You will do wonderful, hope this helps.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and do something to keep yourself busy. Green tea also helps fill me up. Play a video game, go for a walk, read a book, chew gum. Chewing gum has really helped me sometimes. You get a taste in your mouth without all the calories. Or brush your teeth.
  • lacybolton
    Options
    I like to eat the Weight Watchers or Skinny Cow Icecream bars. They help curve my chocolate cravings, and depending on the flavor you get they are anywhere from 80 to 150 cals each.
  • summerfun21
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice...I will be using them all this week. I think I'm going to go for a walk. It's a little cold and dreary in Cincy today but I'd rather battle the weather than the frig:smile:
  • jeyoung03
    jeyoung03 Posts: 83
    Options
    I just went through this, I'm glad that there are a few more suggestions so I know what to do for next time.
    Here is one recipe I found on here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172569-frozen-peanut-butter-cups

They are amazing! seriously taste as close to a Reeses that you can get!!! and only 55 calories, you can't beat it !
  • mlm7944
    mlm7944 Posts: 15
    Options
    jeyoung03: THANKS for this recipe! Sounds divine!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Don't eat your cravings. Or just work them into your calorie allotment. Have some willpower! You can do this.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I feel so hungry all the time just before and at the start of my period. I just ignore it, but I feel miserable!
  • utah_angel1971
    Options
    i am the same way. I have always tried to eat relatively healthy. I almost never eat sweets. but about 1 1/2 weeks before ToM i will eat anything NOT nailed down. particulary potatos/pastas/starches, and chocolate, chocolate chocolate lol. I am of the belief that if you are eating healthy and in moderation the rest of the month and if you are working out and being diligent about exercise the rest of the month, a few days of allowing yourself those cravings wont break you. I once went to a dr because my chocolate craving is so bad that time of month that i once found myself drinking chocolate milk syrup out of the bottle. My Dr told asked me if i eat sweets the rest of the month, or if i crave chocolate/sweets normally. I told him no. He said not to worry about it. IT turns out there is a chemical in chocolate that women crave and need to help with the menstrual cycle.
    I think we are still human and if we cut out all of those little sweets/treats that we treasure so much? dieting/exercising/eating healthy becomes more of a burden than a joy. So dont beat yourself up. Just be diligent about being healthy the rest of the time.
    Also. Another trick i have learned. When you are getting a sweet tooth? Chew GUM! it really does help when you're craving something sweet.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    sugar free chocolate jello
    ice cream sandwich made with graham crackers and whip cream dusted in coco
    chocolate almond milk frozen

And if you are going crazy with cravings If its worth it to you PLAN. Plan the Calories of what you want into your day so you dont go over.
  • lala26105
    lala26105 Posts: 47
    Options
    ok well since im 21 and ive only had my 2nd period yeah i know lucky bytch i am huh? lmao ne way it was something to do with my hormones apparently i hadnt reallly reached pubirty and when my mom put me on hormone pills they only thing i got from those is butt and tits sigh i could have done with out em ne way to the point my perriods last ne where to 3 weeks to a month these past 2 were on and off 1 for weeks and the 2nd for a month but during that time i wen to the doc they said i was hormonal lol hense the high sexual appetite and the high food intake *sigh* but yeah i know how ya feel i cant walk though not used to stuff feeling like its gonna go down my leg ugh but i usually cook me some cabbage helps with the bloating and if ya want some carrots with adobo seasoning^_^
  • almunlin
    almunlin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok , I know it"s tough being a woman. Try the Nabisco 100 calorie pack sweet snacks or give in to the crave and eat a smaller portion. Also, smartones make wonderful ice cream desserts.