Eating pre-workout

Options
Elzecat
Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
So I have started eating healthy and working out and am overall feeling AWESOME...but I need to tweak what I'm doing and I could use suggestions, especially from any runners/trainers out there. What do you suggest I eat pre-work out, especially in the AM when I just got up and go exercise? I need a little energy but I don't know if I should be adding protein, or ???

I don't have this issue in the evenings because I have had a good lunch and sometimes an afternoon snack of fruit/almonds...but could still use some ideas! Thanks!

Replies

• pmorrison101
    Options
    On the days I get up and run outside....I eat toast and peanut butter.....or an ounce of almonds.........and a swig of orange juice and ofcourse my morning coffee........but on the days I go to the gym to run and lift weights, I make sure I eat a fairly big breakfast.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I should only say I normally work out in the evenings after work, it's only on the weekend that I try to get in the gym mid morning...and I can't eat a big breakfast right before I run, it makes me feel sick...just think I need a little something but don't know what the best fuel would be...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have eaten pre-work out the last couple of times I've been running, and I find it slows me down.
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    simple light carbs before...like toast, a bagel, oj, cereal with skim milk....anything easy to burn durning your workout...then within 30 mins of your workout eat some protein for muscle repair...peanut butter, nuts, an egg...whey protein in milk...some people swear by chololate milk! the important thing is to make sure you have some energy for the workout, then have enough protein so you can repair the muscles that you worked.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I don't mean I am looking for meal ideas...just a little something so I am not trying to work out on a totally empty growling stomach...I am about to go off to the gym and I had a protein shake with skim milk just so I wouldn't get lightheaded...just wonder about other ideas...
  • Elzecat
    Options
    simple light carbs before...like toast, a bagel, oj, cereal with skim milk....anything easy to burn durning your workout...then within 30 mins of your workout eat some protein for muscle repair...peanut butter, nuts, an egg...whey protein in milk...some people swear by chololate milk! the important thing is to make sure you have some energy for the workout, then have enough protein so you can repair the muscles that you worked.

Thanks for the ideas...I just had a protein shake w/skim milk, but probably should have had that AFTER the workout...oh well. It's a learning process.
  • oshmom
    oshmom Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Actually I just saw on the Doctor Oz show that working out in the morning is best for weight loss BEFORE eating. That way you are burning leftover calories instead of eating, and just burning what you ate. It make sense, and then your metabolism is already in gear to burn what you eat throughout the day. Personally, I don't like to before working out in the morning, so that works for me. But if I exercise in the afternoon I usually have a handful of almonds or a banana about 15 minutes prior.

Good job on your motivation!
  • cwbzfan
    cwbzfan Posts: 14
    Options
    I workout at 5:30 a.m. and the idea of getting up by 4 or 4:30 to get a "meal" in at least an hour before is NOT appealing. I tried Scivation Xtend about 2 weeks ago - basically an amino acid supplement. I love it! My husband is convinced it is just a placebo, but I really feel like it gives me more energy for my a.m. workout. I drink about 14 oz on my way to the gym and then sip another 20 oz during my workout. Just a suggestion - if I ate anything before a workout I would puke I'm sure - so for me this is the best alternative. Then after workout I drink a whey shake and then have breakfast about an hour later.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    When I work out in the morning I usually just have a greek yogurt before I work out then eat my 'real breakfast' after I am done!