workout question please help

Options
Should u workout when u are sick? I think I have strep throat. i really dont feel like workingout but I will if I need to. Please help!!!!

Replies

• Zita_Jenn
    Zita_Jenn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You don't need to. If you aren't feeling well, you should rest. Once you are up to it then you can work out. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Your body needs rest to heel!
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    for me, when I am sick, I skip the workout, your body is already in a weakened state when you are sick, if you stress it more with a workout, getting better takes longer...
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I wouldn't, I always take a break when I am that sick and listen to my body. You are probably tired and your body wants rest. If you really feel that you need to do something maybe a walk or something just to keep moving. That is the rule I follow when Im sick. Good luck and get better soon!!
  • stacey275
    Options
    If you have a cold you certainly can. If you have something like the flu, you shouldn't. Strep probably falls in between though. If you have a fever, no. Don't raise your temp higher. If you feel pretty worn out and not up for it, skip a day. Really, this is a listen to your body one. Hope you feel better soon.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I like to try and get a work out in, even if its just a nice long walk. I always feel better when I sweat, like im sweating all the sickness out. Its completely up to you and how you feel though. I had bronchitis and didn't work out for 3 weeks. The huffing and puffing just hurt my chest too much. So if you can handle a light workout, I say go for it. If not, no big deal in letting your body rest.
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    it depends on what kind of sick and how sick you are. I've read that occasionally a light workout (i'm talking a nice stroll around the block a few times) might help you feel better. But you kind of just need to see how your body is feeling. If you feel up to it, you can do something light while on the mend but take it easy.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body but don't make excuses. If your body needs rest to get better, rest. If you know you can push for a light workout, do it. It's really just depends.
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Streep throat = no workout AT ALL. That ish could kill you cuz streep throat will fo to the heart and screw ujp your universe!!! Ahh! wait to you're well.... :o)
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just got over several days of gastorentoritis. It wasnt fun however, I was demented in the house as I stayed indoors to minimise risk of me infecting others. My doctor later told me off for working out as my body was extremley dehydrated due to the virus. Basically if u feel up 2 it... do it. just make sure u drink LOADS and get lots of sleep.
  • szqrn
    szqrn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would say no , rest, lots of fuids. Your body has a higher base metabolic rate when you are sick.
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    No, your body needs the rest, and when you exert yourself when your sick, it could make you feel more tired, even sicker.
    Don't be obsessed with getting in a good workout or eating right at this time. The sooner you heal thru good nutrition and rest, the quicker you will be back on track. I hope you feel better real soon. Take it easy on yourself for now.
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    I never work out when I am sick, it just makes me feel worse. When I am feeling a little better I do some low impact exercise but nothing that makes me feel worse. I'd say take a rest and get better!
  • utah_angel1971
    Options
    no you should never work out if you are sick, even just a cold is questionable. Because its easy to become dehydratd when you're sick. So you need to rest, get your fluids and take care of yourself.
  • seespi
    seespi Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been in this dillema also, I hate missing work outs but really its about listening to your body. When my symptoms from bronchitis started easing up I just did fast paced walking for only like 30-45 minutes to start slow. Then once I felt like my body could handle more I would do light exercise like squats or sit ups. Just let your body rest and soon you will begin to be able to know what your is capable of during its weakened state.
  • carolynleona
    Options
    If you can workout you should...but if you don't feel up to it then you should rest. Hope you feel better :D
  • harmonykay
    Options
    thanks everyone i think i will hold off today.