cardio machines

Options
ladybb7
ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
What machines at the gym do people like using? I find it's easy to burn calories quickly on the eliptical but my toes go a bit funny after awhile from the pressure of this motion. Does anyone else get this? It doesn't happen on any othre machine I use. :)

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    My feet have fallen asleep on the elliptical as well. I find if I lift my toes while on the forward part of the stride, I can get blood back to them again, but it's weird running that way.

I prefer my spin class myself.
  • DOTY1
    DOTY1 Posts: 97
    Options
    It happens to me all them time after about 15min and I norm go from 30 to 45 so it kinda sucks but the burn is worth it. I do the treadmill but not all the time I get more out of the elliptical then any other machine.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I can't say as I've ever used an elliptical so I've never had that problem, but to answer your first question, my favorite machine is the rowing machine. Which is why I went out and bought one for myself.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    My toes fall asleep on the elliptical too - drives me nuts!

My cardio is all on a treadmill, a spin bike or the rowing machine. My trainer insists that the best piece of cardio equipment in the entire gym is the rowing machine. It's best to do intervals, I think (or at least that's what he's had me doing in a variety of ways for the last several months).
  • roxannima
    roxannima Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My feet tend to go numb on the elliptical as well, and I've lately noticed my knees feel like they need to crack but can't (if that makes sense). However, on the treadmill, my feet actually start to hurt (as opposed to just feel numb) and I often do much less on the treadmill out of boredom or the feeling that I'm not going as far/burning as much. I also like that my arms HAVE to move constantly while I'm on the elliptical, where many other machines you can just hang there or (worse) hold on. If you can hack it, I'd stay with the elliptical! Try the different settings, different times, and try BACKWARDS!
  • ladybb7
    ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with the numb toes! There is a show here called X-weighted and the one trainer hates the eliptical machine, he says he wants his clients to do the treadmill over the eliptical because it represents a "real" motion. Thoughts?
  • jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love my recumbent bike although it's not as much of a calorie burner.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Recumbent (not upright) stationary bike is great if you have bad knees.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical because it's better on my knees and I feel like I can go forever, where on the treadmil I tend to give up. My toes do go numb, but like another poster said I try to mimic the toe-heel motion for a bit and they get better.

I ADORE rowing machines, and I am bummed that my current gym doesn't have one. If you have access to one, try it out!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with the numb toes! There is a show here called X-weighted and the one trainer hates the eliptical machine, he says he wants his clients to do the treadmill over the eliptical because it represents a "real" motion. Thoughts?

I love the elliptical, but yeah my toes get numb after a while too. And about the 'real motion', I never really thought about it, but I think you are getting a work out it is good, no matter what you do. But I also 'mix up' my work outs and do different things so that I am working different muscles. I use the elliptical most (because I have one at home) but I also try to run, walk, bike or do pilates throughout the week.
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    What machines at the gym do people like using? I find it's easy to burn calories quickly on the eliptical but my toes go a bit funny after awhile from the pressure of this motion. Does anyone else get this? It doesn't happen on any othre machine I use. :)

Yep it happens everytime!! I like the stair master and the treadmill..... I use the eliptical but it's not my favorite
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Yeah - the elliptical does that to me, too! Here's what I do to help alleviate it: Change your foot position around every few minutes. Start by standing on your tip toes and do that for a few minutes. Great calf burn! Then, rock back onto your heels with your toes off the pedal and do that for a while. Then go back to a flat foot and point your toes inward, like a duck, then switch it and point your toes outward like a ballet dancer. This helps get the blood flowing back into your feet and works different muscles, so it changes things up and is fun!