Mexican Restaurant Question

Options
I have a quick question/need some advice. My sister and I are going to a mexican restaurant tonight (El Loro) and I am wondering if I could get some advice on the best thing to eat there. I made sure I ate light all day so far and went and worked out so I have a good amount of calories to use up (about 1000) but I was wondering if there were any suggestions.
(note I already searched for El Loro online and in the database and didn't come up with anything!)
Thanks!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    mmmmm guacamole for the MUFA factor!! WHOOP!! (monounsaturated fatty acid)
  • dianeensey
    dianeensey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A taco salad with grilled chicken, hold the cheese, olives, sour cream and guacamole. Eat with salsa for a dressing. This is my go-to meal when I go to a Mexican restaurant.

Fajitas aren't bad if you skip the tortillas, sour cream, etc, and just eat the meat and veggies.
  • jmo325
    jmo325 Posts: 57
    Options
    Enjoy yourself and order what you like, especially if you worked out today! Watch out for those margaritas though! They'll get ya! :)
  • Wayne224
    Wayne224 Posts: 33
    Options
    Don't forget to count out your chips and drink lots of water to conteract all the sodium. Have a great time!
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'd do a taco salad as well-- get shrimp, corn, black beans, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.....steer clear of cheese, the tortilla shell, sour cream, and limit yourself to a small portion of guacamole.

Fajitas seem pretty okay, but they are usually VERY heavy on oil-- if you check most restaurants counts for these, it's quite high because of this.
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    Go easy on the chips - Watch those margarita's but other than that - enjoy! As long as this is once in a while then you should enjoy it. You could order chicken instead of pork and maybe skip the cheese enchilada :)
    I personally would go for the beans instead of the rice
    Maybe skip the guac but have the sour cream
    Have the tostada instead of the fluta - just make small changes
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I think I'll indulge a little in the chip and salsa department and then get a taco salad with chicken, hold the sour cream and cheese and use salsa for dressing. Ying and Yang :) Thanks again!
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I live in South Texas and there is fabulous Mexican food here. I have to force myself not to eat it 3x a week.

I did however, it it twice this week!

One meal I had ceviche. I'm not a crazy fish lover, but when you see how healthy (mixed with onion, tomatoes, avocados, mangos, etc) you are also getting in a little extra veggie in there. The place that I went to I asked them to "bake" 2 corn tortillas and then I broke those apart and used instead of the fried chips that were on the table.

Another day I went I had the tortilla soup. You can have without the sour cream, cheese and the extra tortilla chips in it. Ask them to make plain for you. Basically the soup is a broth, tomatoes, pepers, onions, etc. which is still a good mixture for you.

A lot of places will also offer some kind of salad, but I can get that anywhere :)

Another thing. If your going to be drinking (like this Irish girls loves to do) I suggest doing a shot of Patron and drink down with water and lots of limes or lemons. The margarita's in the mix have TONS of calories or you can order the skinny girl margarita!
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Fajitas no tortillas
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Many Mexican restaurants are offering a selection of healthy options. I would go for grilled chicken, fish or shrimp and use a lot of salsa, tomatoes, bell peppers, lettuce and other healthy additions. Don't be afraid to ask for a side of vegetables to replace something that is heavier. Corn tortillas contain a lot less calories and are lower in fat than flour, which can also contain lard.

Also make sure to ask for "cholesterol free" beans or black beans as an option and stay away from refried beans. Most (unless it is a specifically "healthy" or vegetarian restaurant) use lard to make the beans and are high in sodium. The rice can also be pretty greasy and have added fat, so unless they offer brown rice, you may want to skip that, too.

That being said, it is up to you. You can also order something you really enjoy and ask for half of it to be boxed before it is served.

I hope you have a great time!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    vegetarian burrito
  • hyoung3
    hyoung3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Everyone may not agree with me on this but....

My take on fast food and/or restaurant food is basically the same:

If you're diligently exercising and eating clean/healthy the rest of the week, a restaurant meal isn't gonna kill you.

The weight didn't appear overnight..... it won't disappear overnight.... and it certainly won't reappear overnight, either.

If you burned calories through exercise today and you have room to eat back some calories, it probably won't matter.

A splurge meal (sparingly) may even help you curb cravings because you reduce the fear of loss.
    A lot of people disrupt their diets because they "can't have" foods that they enjoy.

I would exercise portion control, limit the sodium (as best as you can) and have a good time.

Be sure to get back on track tomorrow and Rock On !!
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    eat what you want, but stay away from the chips and salsa!

Well the salsa is good, just not the chips! haha...

Mexican is my favorite and my downfall.
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fajitas no rice sub veg
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Well if you're going to go, enjoy yourself! Everything in moderation and not too many chips. No salt on the margaritas if you're having those.

If it looks unhealthy, it probably is, so just factor it in your head if not your diary.

Oh, did I say enjoy yourself? :-)