And I thought the formula was wrong :(

Options
YassSpartan
YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
So after entering my info to use P90X formula to calculate the amount of calories I should be eating when doing P90X, it said I was supposed to eat 2800 calories a day. Seriously? That would be easy if I was eating unhealthy food, but once you start making smart choices about what to eat and eat clean, that number is a hard one to get to. After eating 6 times a day on a 50% protein, 30% Carbs and 20% fats diet, which keeps me full the whole day, I barely make it to 1750 calories. So far the results have been good, but I still was curious about the 2800 calories a day. After checking with a body builder formula that to me is one of the best out there, it says that for me to gain muscle mass and burn fat I need to eat 3097 calories a day. WHAT??? Even more??? This has to be the hardest thing for me ever, to be told I need to eat more, not because i don't believe it is true I'll gain muscle mass and burn fat, but because my stomach size doesn't allow me to eat more than I'm eating at the moment.

Kind of frustrating.

Replies

• carrie_lebel
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying. Good luck
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'd add more protein shakes and some muscle milk... easier way to add calories without the feeling full part..
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So after entering my info to use P90X formula to calculate the amount of calories I should be eating when doing P90X, it said I was supposed to eat 2800 calories a day. Seriously? That would be easy if I was eating unhealthy food, but once you start making smart choices about what to eat and eat clean, that number is a hard one to get to. After eating 6 times a day on a 50% protein, 30% Carbs and 20% fats diet, which keeps me full the whole day, I barely make it to 1750 calories. So far the results have been good, but I still was curious about the 2800 calories a day. After checking with a body builder formula that to me is one of the best out there, it says that for me to gain muscle mass and burn fat I need to eat 3097 calories a day. WHAT??? Even more??? This has to be the hardest thing for me ever, to be told I need to eat more, not because i don't believe it is true I'll gain muscle mass and burn fat, but because my stomach size doesn't allow me to eat more than I'm eating at the moment.

Kind of frustrating.

I feel your pain man...trying to get to the calorie amount a lot of days is tough after burning so much while working out.
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but from my experience there is little chance of you eating that many calories and staying with those percentages. There are lots of great ways to add calories to your diet with adding a lot of food, things like nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocados & salmon. Those are all "fatty." It's healthy fat, but fat none-the-less. Your fat % will increase, but you'll get lots more fuel for your intense workouts.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i am having the EXACT same problem....with doing the p90x i need to eat 1650cals...plus any exercise cals back...i have never eaten more than 1500 at the super max and that's been after a 1200cal workout...

i actually for the first time today stayed over 1200 NET cals!!! how i did this....protein shakes

with p90x you need ALOT of protein, so get in your calories and protein by trying some shakes...i have one for breakfast, one for lunch, one in the evening....that's about 900cals(little carbs if made with water or soya milk) and oodles of protein
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My husband eats almost 4000 a day for mass gain....its possible with healthy food, just do it!...gaining muscle is harder than losing it.....scientifacally ur not burning as much calories as any site or equipment tells u.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm eating way more than I've ever eaten in my life and it IS hard. I'm almost always over my fat goals because I end up eating things like avocado, peanut butter, trail mix. I was almost relieved when we went out for dinner last night because I didn't get stuck trying to cram in 400 more cals later that evening like usual. That's just to lose weight, I'm not trying to add mass or anything - I can't imagine how much worse that would be!
  • Aps123
    Aps123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    just curious. i just started p90x and i thought 1800 was the lowest bc it adds in 600 for the exercise in the formula. was wanting to get it straight incase i was doing it wrong. im not adding in exercise bc i see that as doing so as my typical mfp deficit w/o exercise is 1330. thanks.

edit sorry i didnt quote who i was meaning to.
  • Aps123
    Aps123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i am having the EXACT same problem....with doing the p90x i need to eat 1650cals...plus any exercise cals back...i have never eaten more than 1500 at the super max and that's been after a 1200cal workout...

i actually for the first time today stayed over 1200 NET cals!!! how i did this....protein shakes

with p90x you need ALOT of protein, so get in your calories and protein by trying some shakes...i have one for breakfast, one for lunch, one in the evening....that's about 900cals(little carbs if made with water or soya milk) and oodles of protein

just curious. i just started p90x and i thought 1800 was the lowest bc it adds in 600 for the exercise in the formula. was wanting to get it straight incase i was doing it wrong. im not adding in exercise bc i see that as doing so as my typical mfp deficit w/o exercise is 1330. thanks